Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mad Squeeling

champus

Over the last week ive been getting a mad squeeling/screetching sound coming from the engine bay when i first start up in the morning and its worst when it has been damp or raining, it then just goes away when i accelerate. I can still hear almost like a rotating squeek coming from what sounds like underneath the engine when the car is stationary and my windows are open!.

Today i arrived outside my house and the car stalled , i restarted it and the engine light was on and i could hear the rotating squeek much louder than it was before... its hard to explain the sound its like chchunk chchunk chchunk chchunk.

All belts have been changed and there brand new , could this be the fuel Pump?

edit : i did restart the car 30 mins later the sound was quieter again and the engine light was off

:eek::help::crybaby:

Check the tension of the alternator drive belt. While your at it check for oil on the belt. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

All belts have been changed and there brand new

Surelly if the garage changed those belts wouldnt they have tightened them up anyway?

Did you go to a reliable garage ? <_<

Surelly if the garage changed those belts wouldnt they have tightened them up anyway?

Did you go to a reliable garage ? 

No guarantee that the job was done properly.... :huh:

The fuel pump is electric so it's not that. Could be PAS pump if you have one. But if it created enough load to stall the engine then I think it must be something driven off the cam belt. So it could be water pump or oil pump, although if it's as bad as you describe then you are likely to see the effects (overheating/lack of oil pressure). Therefore, it is most likely to be an idler pully, it is not uncommon for their bearings to wear out.

The above is assuming that it's not an auxiliary drive belt slipping, but you seem to think it's something else.

i thought it was standard issue for all alternator belts to squeal every time it rains / is damp / is cold, with my n/a i had to adjust it every 2 weeks or so and now the weathers getting worse same with the tubby :(

Summer just gone I left my MR2 parked up for ten days while I was on holiday...anyway referring to Jims comment about the alternator belt squeeking after heavy rain etc...over those ten days there was really bad rain etc...anyway when I come to start the car the belt snapped...so there is something in what he was saying deffo...

if it rains heavily I get a squeal when I first start the engine. Stops after I give the accelerator a tap though.

... me too ...

it's a VERY common problem, just tighten it up, it's a 30 second job ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links