Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

87 Celica Audio Questions

BarneyTT

My Gen 4 Celica has the original stereo/head unit still in place and I would like to replace it with something a little newer....my questions are:

Would I be right in thinking I need to remove the suround for removal and fitting?

What sort of connections are standard (ie: what am I likely to find) and what would I need in order to fit/connect a modern unit?

Lastly, what size and the original front Speakers and any suggestions for a straight fit replacement?

• 7 months later...
My Gen 4 Celica has the original stereo/head unit still in place and I would like to replace it with something a little newer....my questions are:

Would I be right in thinking I need to remove the suround for removal and fitting?

What sort of connections are standard (ie: what am I likely to find) and what would I need in order to fit/connect a modern unit?

Lastly, what size and the original front speakers and any suggestions for a straight fit replacement?

To remove the original stereo you need to undo all the screws on the centre console and the stereo surrond and the trim under the steering wheel and the glove box, remove the glove box, unclip the little plastic trim in front of the handbrake, pull the centre console up and backwards, undo the bolt on the right hand side of the glove box(at the bottom), pull the trim from under the steering wheel being carefull not to break anything, gently pull the stereo surround away from the dash to reveal the stereo this is screwed in place with a bracket undo these screws and the head unit will come out.

You will see that the head unit will have simple push fit connectors but to fit a modern head unit you will need to buy a harness adapter to fit the original connectors with an ISO end for the modern stereo this should cost you around £10 the other thing you will need to buy/get hold of is a blanking plate cos the original wont fit with the modern stereo (i found out the hard way).

All this should take you 2-3 hours, i only know how to do this cos i self taught my self cos i was fedup with the pants tape deck, i fitted a pioneer cd player to my gen4 subs and 6x9s to go in later. Hope this helps you mate. :hokus-pokus: :thumbsup:

Cheers, thanks for your reply. It's been a while since I posted this query and not long after posting it I pretty much went down the same roiute as yourself. Took the bull by the horns, removed all the required dash panels etc. and bought an ISO connector from Halfrauds.... and bingo, new head unit and 6x9's all up and running!

Out of interest, did you replace the front Speakers?

Thanks Spock :thumbsup:

Lastly, what size and the original front speakers and any suggestions for a straight fit replacement?

To remove the original stereo you need to undo all the screws on the centre console and the stereo surrond and the trim under the steering wheel and the glove box, remove the glove box, unclip the little plastic trim in front of the handbrake, pull the centre console up and backwards, undo the bolt on the right hand side of the glove box(at the bottom), pull the trim from under the steering wheel being carefull not to break anything, gently pull the stereo surround away from the dash to reveal the stereo this is screwed in place with a bracket undo these screws and the head unit will come out.

You will see that the head unit will have simple push fit connectors but to fit a modern head unit you will need to buy a harness adapter to fit the original connectors with an ISO end for the modern stereo this should cost you around £10 the other thing you will need to buy/get hold of is a blanking plate cos the original wont fit with the modern stereo (i found out the hard way).

All this should take you 2-3 hours, i only know how to do this cos i self taught my self cos i was fedup with the pants tape deck, i fitted a pioneer cd player to my gen4 subs and 6x9s to go in later. Hope this helps you mate. :hokus-pokus: :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links