Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stuck Brakes?

brimar

Hi, I have a 1.3 Yaris T Spirit Automatic. It is only 5 months old and I seem to get occasional problems with the brakes sticking on when driving out of my garage. This morning the brakes were definately stuck and it took a few drives back and fore (very slowly) the brakes freed off. Has anyone else had this sort of problem?

Cheers

Me

Is it the back hubs sticking or is it the front discs? I'd imagine that its the back hub - this happens when they get wet and a very thin layer of rust forms and sitcks the metal together - hence a gentle rock breaks through the rust.

The longer you leave it the thicker the rust gets and the harder it is to free - I spent a long afternoon gently tapping away with a hammer on a mates car that that I was supposed to be looking after whilst he was working away ... and forgot about until he asked me via email how the car was!

Clarky

Yeah, as previous post. Nothing to worry about....... If youve been driving about in the rain and park up for the nite, this is when a thin layer of rust forms......... After a few 'yards' of driving it will clear itself!!

Lee

Some good replies there......the same happened to my Audi, except

1. it was the handbrake mechanism jamming in the caliper.

2. the car is 10 years old.

This sort of thing shouldn't happen to a car that's not even 6 months old.

If you can put up with it till the next scheduled service Brimar, then I'd get them to take a good look at it then. If not, go to the dealer and get them to sort it.

As all of the above posts mentioned, it's just something that sometimes happens. It's not going to compromise safety or anything, but at the end of the day it shouldn't be happening to a car this new

Rich

I get that after i give the car a wash... a little bit of grinding on the first too braking 'sessions', then all's well!

Gave my car a wash today and the discs start to rust/tarnish almost immediately

Get some heat/use in the brakes and I would think that would help

If your worried about rust on your brakes.. paint them with Hammerite Smooth... does a nice job, althogh, that is a summer job unless you've got a nice warm garage! (I don't, so next summer for me!) OR.. Get a dremmel multi-tool or such like and grind it off! But like reece said... the brakes will tarnish very quickly... if it realllly bothers you... fit ceramic discs all round.... if you've got a lot of mullah!

If your worried about rust on your brakes.. paint them with Hammerite Smooth... does a nice job, althogh, that is a summer job unless you've got a nice warm garage! (I don't, so next summer for me!) OR.. Get a dremmel multi-tool or such like and grind it off! But like reece said... the brakes will tarnish very quickly... if it realllly bothers you... fit ceramic discs all round.... if you've got a lot of mullah!

Just to clarify things......dont paint your brake discs...only the calipers. Rust on the discs is perfectly normal and will disappear after a few brake applications.

the rear drums can, however, stick. Indeed Toyota themselves recommend that on an auto (MMT) gearbox in wet or icy conditions the car is left in First or Reverse gear with the hand brake off and as an added precaution the wheels chocked.

Just to clarify things......dont paint your brake discs...only the calipers

I meant to say that! Drums surface is ok, but don't paint the calipers, that could be quite dangerous!

but don't paint the calipers, that could be quite dangerous!
I meant discs before anybody calls me dumb... which i am! It was early, and im always tired!!

Had the handbrake sieze on after leaving my Yaris for 3 weeks during winter when I was ill. I would suggest that if leaving your car for any period longer than a few days just leave it in gear with the hand brake only slightly on

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links