Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Vs Mr2

Fitz

Hi, new to the Toyota forum, but no stranger to Toyota. I used to have a Gen 4 and loved it until an idiot locked up on ice and hit the rear :crybaby:

I ended up selling it after the repair as it depressed me that the car was so shiney on the reapair and the clutch was knackered and a few other things...

I bought a Rover Coupe and now have a turbo version which is very quick but I'm starting to get bored with it. The car looks a bit dated now and I have started to pine for a gen6 Celica. I just love the shape.

Thing is, I was looking at prices and I can just about afford a gen 6 or easily afford a gen 5. Then, whilst browsing Autotrader, I spotted that MR2 (mk2) prices are just a little lower than the Celica. I drove a gen 6 a while back and it was great. Much better then my old Celica. I then sat in an MR2 today and they are just so sporty feeling inside.

With the Rover, I'm used to the targa top and therefor the MR2 is also quite appealing.

So what do you think? I just can't decide which to go for, the Gen 6 or the MR2. I'm looking to get the Rover MOT'd in Jan and then sell it with a full MOT and then hunt out the perfect Toyota, be it a celica or MR2.

Yeah, I deffinately need to do a test drive in a few to get a feel for what I like most. I curerenly use the Rover for work and she doies rack up the miles but I hope to be able to stop that soon. I seem to have a mix of driving. It's about half and half town driving and motorway. I'm not too concerned about top end speeds as It's not exactly common to be exceeding the 100 mark, well, not for me anyhow. Which ever I get will no doubt feel slower than the Rover but I want the car for pleasure and enjoyment rather than speed, costly fuel bills and mega insurance.

ive gone from 2 5th gen Celica's to a MR2 Turbo...

You after the N/A or Turbo in the MR2?

you from rovertech?

Amongst others, yes. I thought there could only be one person with your user name :lol:

I co run the coupe group...and still will when I buy the Toyota.

Might get me a project coupe to play about with at some point, probably a Honda 216.

hey hey

hi mate.

Well i reckon youve made the right choice mate :thumbsup:

Sixth gen celicas are certainly a nice car and look a bit more modern than the mrk 2 MR2 IMO however a couple of mods on the MR2 bring them up to date and can look fantastic... especially the headlight conversion :thumbsup:

As for reliability... not had a problem with mine yet unlike the challenge of keeping a rover road worthy :D :P

The MR2's look much nicer with kits... I have a 185 and there are no decent looking kits available for them. I would challenge someone to find one for the ST18# series that doesnt turn them into a "supra-winged rice rocket" Some thing tasteful rather than "look what Ive done to my car". Im considering getting a MR2 once I finish study and swaping the engines (the 185 has just had a rebuild with all the internal goodies). They can look really nice with the right kit on them... the Border one I think is my fav. My mate has recently bought one so I will take it for a blast at xmas to really get a feel for them. Eithers good but jsut be wary of how much you can cart round in the MR cos theres not the biggest boot in them.

I was amazed at how much space there actually is in an MR2. The rear boot is fne for my toolbox and bits and there are loads of cubby holes and bits hidden about. If you've ever seen the boot on a Rover Coupe, you'd soon realise the MR2 does actually have a fair bit of room for what it offers.

I have to say, at the mo I am beggining to sway more towards the MR2. I just need to test drive a couple to get the feel for them and do plenty of reading up to find out the background info before that purchase.

Yeah true there is more boot than I originally gave them cred for but theres still no way that my bodyboard is goin to fit in there :rolleyes: and that decides a car for me, the celica even with the higher floor in the boot to clear the dif on the GT4, got me on that, its a good compromise between pure sports and practicality.

If you dont need the space I would go the MR, and try to get a '92 on model apparently they upgraded the brakes and rear suspension for that year. Dont quote me on that tho.

and try to get a '92 on model apparently they upgraded the brakes and rear suspension for that year. Dont quote me on that tho.

yeah they did from the 92j plates

the mr2's are great handling cars, never driven the mk6 celica's tho so dont know how they compare. but compared to a rover coupe which i have driven. the mr2 handles better, has a nice notchy gear box, the steering feel is better and has a better driving position.

I've had 2 gen6 Celicas and now have a mk2 MR2 and I think they handle quite similar. Obviously when pushed beyond their limits they'll behave differently.

It's the gen7 Celica that I miss regarding handling, those car have the most pin sharp handling/steering of any car I've driven :)

I prefer the MR2 to the gen6 Celica though. Although before I got the MR2 I was expecting it to be just like a Celica but with the engine in a different place - but the MR2 is a lot more 'hardcore' - MUCH firmer suspension, much lower to the ground. Just much more the sports car ;)

Hi

I used to work for a Toyota dealer in the ninties and thats how I got my love for them.. And watching Carlos sainz in the Gen5 turbo... So i've driven most of the Toyotas from 90-94!! I have a gen5 which I can't fault. Except the fact you have to rev the hell out of it to make it go... The MR2 is a wicked motor mid engine for great balance and rear wheel drive for fun.. But be careful if you go for the MR2 because if they havent been looked after you can get mega suspention bill for the set up... And for a good one I think there bit more expensive than the Celica.....

I'd go for the gen6 GT4

Good luck :thumbsup:

Go for the ST205 (Gen 6 GT4). If you get a n/a celica you may get bored and want more power. Unfortunately your not gonna be able to do much with it.

But get the turbo version and the sky is the limit as far as modifications go.

Fensport's GT4's all run between 400-550bhp and apparently one will hit 650 soon.

IMHO if you prefer the gen 6 to the gen 4 then you probarly like a bit of comfort- as the gen 4 is a cracking handling, light car- which rattles yer teeth out.

If this is the case then go for the gen 6 celica- you'll get a **** loada practicality thrown in for good measure.

MR2's are fantastic sportscars, and a totally different beast- if you want a comfortable mile muncher rather than a seat of the pants thrill deliverer, then i reccomend the celica mate

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links