Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Now?

The Real Tao

I've just (2 days ago) traded in my beloved 1990 Camry for a 1998 Avensis 1.8 GS (Toyota Auto Assured ).

The clutch was going,going very nearly gone and the brake pipes and discs were needing attention before its m.o.t.

I got a good "deal" but i have had more irritations in the last 2 days than i've had in the last seven years.

Can anyone advise me as to whether these problems are common to the avensis or have i bought a bad one?

1/ Very unsettled ride over rough surfaces.

2/ A groan when pulling away, only happens in first gear at the biting point.

3/Rattly squeaky hand-brake lever.

Other than the above im very happy with the car. It pulls very well if you keep to the max torque of 2800 rpm, petrol consumption is superb, brakes are very good, everything elecrical works like it was new and the gearbox is like silk.

I Know i am nit-picking but could i demand these things be fixed before my 14 day exchange period expires? :blink:

Yeah, moan like hell to them!!

My hand brake squeeked too, when it was adjusted I got it lubricated at the same time. Doesn't rattle though.

I would say the ride can be a little crashy but not unsettled, they are quite good to drive really apart from a little body role.

No groan at biting point though. That don't sound too good at all, my gears are slick and don't make a sound.

Anyway, welcome to avensis fuel consumption! Great innit! :D

Thanks sjrainsford for your reply.

Perhaps i've been spoiled by the ride of my Camry but i find the Avensis is "jittery" over broken surfaces. I thought my tyres were too hard but they are all at 32 psi (which is high) but normal i'm lead to believe.You say there is too much body roll,but i encountred a blind corner on a country road today (in the wet) when i thought i would need the airbags but the old dear held the road like a limpet.......thankfully it was a smooth road.

I'm thinking of reducing the tyre pressures to 29 all round to see if it makes a difference before i ditch these tyres and go for a softer compound.

P.S. The handbrake only rattles when its off and i deliberately shake it from side to side. Goodness only knows what the groan is whan i pull away but i'll get it sorted under warranty. B)

The Real Tao,

I've got the clutch buzz/groan noise just as the car picks up from biting point and starts to move. Sometimes it sounds really bad.

Took it into the garage (not a Toyota garage) and they said the clutch was fine, it was the clutch outer casing vibrating/rattling (?). They suggested I live with it unless I really wanted to spend the money for a new clutch. I’m living with it...

Let me know if you find a quick fix.

If the car is under warranty an dit is the housing surely this would be a warranty issue, as personally if there was a problem with my car that I could get fixed "living with it" would not be acceptable, I would want it perfect, especially if bought from a main Toyota Dealer !!

Just my 2p

Rhaines i don't intend to "live with it" im only trying to get an idea of whether it's a common problem as , so far , i've not been very impressed with the attitude of the Toyota dealer who sold me the car. Perhaps it has something to do with it being an "Arnold Clark" franchised dealer but when i called to book my free 600 mile service i was told "oh we don't do that sir" Only when i read the "Auto-assured" document verbatim did she admit her error. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in the hope that all my complaints are sorted without fuss.

It's good to have an idea of the problems faced by other owners before-hand. :)

• 2 weeks later...
The Real Tao,

I've got the clutch buzz/groan noise just as the car picks up from biting point and starts to move. Sometimes it sounds really bad.

Took it into the garage (not a Toyota garage) and they said the clutch was fine, it was the clutch outer casing vibrating/rattling (?). They suggested I live with it unless I really wanted to spend the money for a new clutch. I’m living with it...

Let me know if you find a quick fix.

Foalwise just to let you know......My local toyota dealer booked me in to have a new "clutch cover" fitted. It seems to have solved the problem but it took two hours to fit ??? :eek: The only evidence i can see is a smear of copper-slip around the clutch housing gasket. Im not exactly sure what was done but it worked and they sorted all my other minor gripes under warranty without fuss. Three cheers for toyota approved used cars :thumbsup:

I have given up "trying to write a review" summits up somewhere lads and it aint our fault...... So go on accept the blame for lack of dealer reviews :hokus-pokus:

I say yes - ask for them to be fixed. At least you have registered your disatisfaction before the 14 days is up. I have also just got myself a 2 year old Avensis. None of the problems you describe are apparent on mine, but then I have come from a 10 year old non turbo diesel Astra, so 'most anything would seem grand! Honestly, mine is as smooth as silk and I am VERY pleased!