Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Mixture

Panzerbjorn

lo all,

Ive just got a green cotton air filter for my Corolla and now i want to change the air/fuel mixture, but I dont know how...

A mate told me that the car has an electronic mixture device which means i have to take it to a toyota dealer and pay through the nose to get it done :o

Does anyone know how to do it manually?

Cheerz

Panzer

I know that on many cars that people say things like you have to disconnect Battery etc to rest the ecu but on most cars the ecu is constantly learning and adjusting the mixture acording to how much air etc is getting in.

Oh right,

so its not a fixed mixture value? its constantly changing?

That makes things a lot harder :(

cheerz

Panzer

The ratio is set by the ECU. this varies depending upon conditions such as : temperature, throttle position, previous driving style (if you car is one that learns), cold starting etc.

In order to ritchen the mixture you must get your ecu remapped to put more fuel in per unit of air - very expensive indeed. The only other option is to fool your ECU into thinking the environmental conditions are different to what they actually are and hence trick it into injecting extra fuel. Beware, altering the ECU yourself could damage it. They are extortionately expensive. It may also void your insurance.

The gains from chipping are not great and DIY jobs only slightly increase power in certain operating conditions. My advice is to go for an induction kit or not bother.

Thanks for replying to my tyre post.

Nick

Thanks longhallage,

Very informative post :)

Ive already got a green cotton induction kit running, Was more interested in altering the amount of air in the mixture rather than adding more fuel but it seems that, like you say, altering the ECU is going to be expensive.

Cheerz

Panzer

Guest Calum

I have the same model car, and just had a few questions for you panzer.

How much did the green cotton kit cost, was it easy to fit, and has it helped much?

Thanks, Calum...

It was £83 inc VAT and delivery

Yes it was easy to fit, except i had a bit of trouble removing the old filter because 'they' bolted them in so tight that i had to drill the bolts out.

Yes it has made an improvement, to the sound and performance. At the moment tho i dont have a fresh air supply getting to my filter because i ripped the hose that came with the kit, so im not seeing its full potential just yet.

Panzer

Have you thought about adding a fule line pressure regulator? This device will raise the fuel pressure by say 0.5bar (it's adjustable) and you get more fuel per injector pulse. Costs about €120 here in Greece, might be cheaper.

Hope this helps.

cheerz mate,

Hadnt thought about that, as i said before, was more interesting in increasing the amount of air getting in rather than the amount of fule, i still want to get as many mpg as possible.

Panzer

Are you sure you just want to get more air in? What for? Allowing more air to enter your engine, without increasing the amount of fuel that gets in, you make the mixture leaner. Having a lean mixture can be bad for your engine, especially if you frequent the upper part of the rev counter...

The formula works if you add more fuel. Otherwise you might lose power or even cause your engine to not work properly/overheat or even get permanently damaged.

kinetik, thats why i wanted the ecu re-programmed in the first place.... get the balance right....

Calum, i got mine from motorworld, but you can get them from any gree-cotton place, i hear K&N are doing them for some of the newer corolla's...

Panzer