Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

92-95 Vs 96-99 Paseo?

Boost

Hey all I'm new to Paseos but planning on purchasing one soon as a daily driver. I've been looking around for the past several months and a few have popped up. My question is, which generation would you choose and why? I like the look of both body styles but which engine is better? I see that the engine code (5E-FE) for the 2 generations are the same but the specs aren't. Why is that the case? The power dropped to 93 in 1996 but the torque increases. The earlier style has more hp but less torque. I also notice that the 92-95 Paseo revs to 7000rpm whereas the 96-99 redlines somewhere around 5800rpm. That seems like quite a difference... Was the engine downgraded on the 96-99 cars for some reason? I'm assuming the extra torque will make for a better driving experience around town? I don't plan on modding the car heavily, maybe just some light bolt ons. Remember my intention for this car is to be mainly a reliable daily driver. Which generation or year of Paseo would be best? What significant improvements were made over the years it was produced? Are these cars generally reliable and are there any common problem areas to look out for? Sorry bout the lengthy first post. Any advice or input would be appreciated!

welcome to toc mate.

Are these cars generally reliable and are there any common problem areas to look out for?

this has cropped up a few times mate, according to the paseo owners on here the only problem area seems to be the shocks (which seem to wear at a steady rate), and in regards to reliablity according to the guys on here its bulletproof.

hope it helps,

Rich.

92 Paseo would win, hands down.

Theres 3 different 96 + paseos where i live and ive blitzed them all, without any worries tbh. :thumbsup:

that may be because i have a jap import which is slightly more powerful again, casing a 5E-FHE engine.

I gotta do a bitta work on the engine then it'll be back up for sale. Eg, Powersteering pump and new spark plugs & Leads. :ph34r:

Very Rev-y little cars.

• 1 month later...
92 Paseo would win, hands down.

Theres 3 different 96 + paseos where i live and ive blitzed them all, without any worries tbh.  :thumbsup:

that may be because i have a jap import which is slightly more powerful again, casing a 5E-FHE engine.

I gotta do a bitta work on the engine then it'll be back up for sale. Eg, Powersteering pump and new spark plugs & Leads.  :ph34r:

Very Rev-y little cars.

My little paseo 96 can give a 1.6 modified and tuned nissan a good run for its money :thumbsup: ! As far as I know mine hasn't been altered in any way. have been looking into getting mine 'chipped', no luck so far :crybaby: . My boyfriend seems to think mine is quicker than it should be. excuse me for being stupid :) but how can i tell for sure that my engine is a 5e-fe? :unsure:

the engine code is written on the lid of the ECU which is probably behind the glovebox

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links