Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surging

stephenc

Car : SV21 Camry Auto

When I adjust the throttle position sensor correctly, I have noticed that the car surges when cruising to a stop and rpm reduces to about 1,000. As a temporary fix, I have adjusted the TPS so that the IDL points do not close. What causes the engine to surge when the contacts are closed. I have also turned the idle screw completely close, yet the engine seems to idle a touch above factory settings. I have also noticed a lack of power when accelerating from stationary. Once moving, the car has plenty of power. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

how old is the car?

do you find it surges when your in traffic jams and when you move forward the car jumps about a bit?

When come to a fast stop does the engine cut out?

The car is an '87 model. Engine rebuilt a fews ago. Only surges when I release the accelerator pedal, allowing the car the slow down and when the rpm reduces to around 1,000. When coming to a fast stop, the rpm would drop below 650.....but now that I have adjusted the TPS so that the IDL points don't close, this does not happen. Also stops the surging.

Originally posted by Steve

how old is the car?

do you find it surges when your in traffic jams and when you move forward the car jumps about a bit?

When come to a fast stop does the engine cut out?

Sounds like the problem i get.... or should i say had, but may not be the case.

Check the inlet hose on thecar for splits... this is located before the air intake regulator.. as when you come to a stop the engine lurches forward causing the the air intake hose to stretch and let too much air in

Also you may want to have the engine mounts checked as this is what usually causes the intake to split.

here is a pic of the engine mount which should be similar to the camry as my car shares the same chassis

sounds similar.. but what caused the surges in the first place?

Try placing the car in reverse wuth the hand brake and gently apply the accelerator... if theengine lifts right up then the engine mounts are worn

You will probably need a friend to help you as the bonnet will be in the way

I would like to know what the problem is so I may be able to recognise this in the future :)