Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti Supra's

Martz

Hi Guys,

I'm actually a celica owner but have recently looked around on autotrader for a supra.

there is one dealer selling import Supra's RZ-s VVTi from 2000, and want's 25K for them.

What's the deal here, i thought that all supra's stopped production in 1996? :huh:

anybody got any info??

cheers

thats weird! on an X plate too.. so definatly a 2000 plate

!Removed! strange that is, maybe its something to do with when it's imported and registered. Might have to e-mail them and find out!

dont know where you got the idea they stopped in 1996..they were in production until 2002..

In 1996 it got a facelift, and a VVTI engine, along with a few other changes. If you look at the rest of the JIC pages you'll see there are several other post 96 cars for sale. They even have a 2002 model coming in.

well now we know then thanx adi

Just thought... they were no longer officially sold in the UK after about 97.. that must be how you got mixed up.. :)

adi

I heard they were stopped in 1996 due to emissions regs.

so is the post 1996 better/worse/indifferent than previous, or is that opening a whole can'o'worms?

better ! but kinda worse in the fact that its more difficult to mod..

It had a facelift with better front and rear end, and the VVTI gave it some extra horses.

OK I e-mailed that jap car site. Apparantley yes they were in production until 2002 but only at low volume and only available to us via import (in the UK). With a vvit make over

So guys I've been reading your messages and must say u do know about your cars.

Well can anyone help me.I used to have a jap Supra TT a year ago , but my wife forgot to take the pill so I'm stuck with a Saab 95 at the moment.

I'm going to view a UK spec SUPRA TT on friday.Its on a P reg and it's white in colour with all standard stuff , nothing flashy , but it has done 40000 miles only.Its up for sale for £12000 , do u think its worth it ??

I've asked this question before but no one was able to give me complete answer !!

But I do hope I get some feedback before splashing out on a white UK spec. :)

Hi Mirza done a used car check for you and this is what they came back with

--Year-----new------A1------good----fair----trade

1996/P £42994 £12360 £11625 £8210 £10515

Cheers Deejay , That was help to verify the price .

One more thing is it true that when the jap supras are delimited they are faster that the uk spec supras ?

nope ! well, not really.

The UK supras are limited to 155, but remove the limiter and theres no problem. The Jap spec is tuned for more energetic driving and the 112 mph max limit, whereas the UK are tuned for higher speeds.

The price guides are always wrong by the way. Supras are going for a lot more than the price guides say. If you want to compare prices just have a look on autotrader.

To sum up though, if you want ease of tuning and ease of aftermarket parts, go j-spec. If you want that bit more oomph initially go UK spec, but afterwards theyre not as easy to tune.

I'm only going on what i read on www.mkivsupra.net/bbs

You'd think with all the sweet cars over in Japan the max speed would be higher. Someone told me it's legal to street race there....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone...can probably assit here a fair bit....

Firstly, Supras ceased production in the UK in 1996. They are still in production in Japan, hence JIC having post 96 cars readily available. I got my Supra from JIC, they're a good bunch!

The UK cars are faster bhp wise as standard, Jap cars are quoted at 280bhp although they tend to be a bit more because it is illegal over there to produce a car with more than 280bhp- hence why the Skylines are quoted at 280bhp as well. Also, getting low milage import motors is easier as they can only use their cars every second day of the week and I also heard that every car has to have a complete engine rebuild after 50k, hence why a lot of the imports are circa that milage.

All of you looking for Supras bear in mind that the manuals are a fair bit more expensive as they are rare- only 1 in 15 cars off the production line are manual.

VVTI gives you an extra 25bhp but you can easily get that with very basic mods (induction, exhaust etc).

I agree on the price thing- they are damn expensive for what they are year wise etc, but I think worth it!!

I think that was the general gist of it.... lol

• 4 weeks later...

another good thing about imported motors is you can be pretty sure they havnt been ragged. all japanese cars have 70 mph limiters on them..

another good thing about imported motors is you can be pretty sure they havnt been ragged. all japanese cars have 70 mph limiters on them..

Just as it's limited doesn't mean it hasn't been ragged, a lot of jap sports cars are ragged on the road before being shipped over here for some unsuspecting person to buy them....

Just as it's limited doesn't mean it hasn't been ragged, a lot of jap sports cars are ragged on the road before being shipped over here for some unsuspecting person to buy them....

I doubt that you run anymore of a risk of buying a ragged Supra whether it's UK or Jap!! They're all gonna have been right footed, the good thing about JIC is that they put a 3 year warrantly of all of their cars and have a mechanic out there who selects each car himself...

How much different are the vvti engines, do they have more bhp, more torque?

All Jap cars are restricted to 112mph (180kmh), not 70mph. :rolleyes:

All Jap cars are restricted to 112mph (180kmh), not 70mph. :rolleyes:

but no major biggy to de-resrict most of them when they come over, if done with something like a unichip you even get the power gains out of it as well :) :) :)

How much different are the vvti engines, do they have more bhp, more torque?

bit more.... 25bhp i think it is but also more difficult to tune than the slightly older mk IVs.... there was a discussion about this a little while back wasn't there???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links