Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sidways!

dudeone

Hi,

So ive just back in from visiting my mate and showing him what a MR2 GTs Tubby goes like, well I think ive managed to scare the pair of us quite well.

So we start of wet road so I think I will be gentle with the revs, of we set 1st gear spin & snake, 2nd gear spin & snake and blow me 3rd gear spin & snake :eek: , what a hooot :lol:

So we travel along not going to mad with the road conditions, we come of a major road onto a tight hair pin 4th gear only a few mph get round the bend head along the straight and put my foot down and hay presto out comes that back end well I nearly gave birth to something talk about the last thing I expected but a quick flick of the wheel and she’s back under control but I have a pounding heart and me mates laughing like a good’en.

I know a load of people have said be wary out there and get used to the car but 4th gear at low mph on a strait and a snaky backend what a !Removed! G8 car this is.

Me mate who was in the car is a workshop foremen for Renault (poor sod) and he’s been driving a Clio V6 and the 172 Clio’s but he like me was brought up on rear wheel drive cars, so I let me mate have a drive and he was gob smacked he could not believe the power of the car, you just could not lay the down RPM at all in this weather he ended up laughing along with me and we both must have looked like nutters.

I checked me tyres to see if I had slicks but there nearly new, the only thing that I am concerned about is the tyres are Nankans what ever they are has anyone heard of these and how do you rate them.

What wet weather tyres would you rate please for the rears?

Cheers Dave

Strange thing ive never YET so far lost the back end of my mr2 even hammering it round a roundabout at full pelt it goes well , is it because mine was setup for track use?

:unsure:

edit : i just thought it maybe because you also have Standard mr2 wheels on, where as i have those racing wheels and tsw alloys ?

Hi,

I have Ohlins suspension that is adjustable and it has lowerted the car but I dont know by how much, the ride is very very firm but that is as far as I know as ive had the car all of 2 days, I was wondering if the tyres are just :ffs: :censor: tyres?

Cheers Dave

With a firm suspension set up, like yours, the tail will be more likely to go. This is why drift cars are set up like so.

Secondly, you're running a stiff set up, with the stock size rims/tyres, and therefore haven't increased your footprint to get extra grip to accomodate your stiffer setup.

Thirdly... IT'S WET OUT! ;)

I'm running Goodyear Eagle GSD3's, and they're very highly rated for wet weather. They're not as good as some tyres in the dry, but the are great in the wet. I used to spin in every gear but 5th... and now it's just up to 3rd!!! :wacko:

nankangs are fairly well known tyres, not great tyres though

get some toyo t1-s, or I believe bridgestones are good for mr2's :)

if the rear end comes out that easily... it's an accident waiting to happen :o

i have nankangs on my n/a and it is v easy to get the rear end out in the wet.

i have new 17" wheels with eagle f1 gsd3 tyres waiting to go on once the car has been resprayed later nxt month

You could have the best tyres on ur tubbie in the world, BUT, im sorry its going to happen everytime!! even in dry weather!! :eek:

The first few weeks i had my tubbie i had it sliding off roundabouts sideways, 360's down long stretches of road then finially it happend with my woman in the car - thats when it hit me! Oh by the way i was running on yokohamas - now ive got the same tyres as you. :thumbsup:

I do find its easier to get the rear end out on these tyres but its not much different to running on yokos.

so... respect the car OR you'l end up in trouble!!!!!!!

Thats the only advice i can give and thats from personal experience.

Ohh, have fun 2! thats why these cars are great.

Cheers :thumbsup:

got 16" 225/45 Falkens on the back of my tubbie with super stiff H&R coilovers and the back only steps out if i specifically ask it too..

got 16" 225/45 Falkens on the back of my tubbie with super stiff H&R coilovers and the back only steps out if i specifically ask it too..

Agreed

Hi,

Sounds like you have sorted your setup out, any tips?

All I know at this time is that my Tubby has as mentioned std alloys with Nankans on the rears.

I have adjustable Ohlins suspension (at least on the front) I presume the back as well, I am unsure is this is just shocks and springs or the coilovers as well.

Any tips settiung up my suspension would :help: .

Cheers Dave

nankangs are great summer tyres , also the cheapest good tyre out there on the market , because they come from a country where making rubber things is as cheap as :censor: . personally speaking if you learn to control the car first with nankangs , having tyres like michilin or toyo , will be a doddle for you.

any spelling errors is down to newkie brown :thumbsup:

from what i remember Nankags are super hard so very good choice if your after a tyre that'll last you also good on track etc because they don't melt, but because of the hard nature i don't think they grip that well in the wet.

My stock alloys had nangkans on when i bought the car, they were new when i got the car and they still looked hardly worn after 10,000 miles and 2 trackdays... :eek: the Falkens are alot softer and i can't see them doing more than about 6000 miles they are very grippy tho. I think its bit of a lottery really with setup. Easy way to control the rear is not to boost hard whilst turning in the wet :)

H&R are awsome :thumbsup: i had a set custom made for my fiesta :thumbsup:

nankangs are nice looking tyres but thats all they are, i was tempted to go for the cheap option with them when i was buying tyres for the 17s i have, but i read many a review that said they are prone to blowing out on motorways!

which i didnt want so i got the good year eagle f1s

I've got nangkangs on at the moment cos they came with my alloys, theyre very good in the dry but in the wet theyre next to useless. I can highly recommend Toyo Proxes T1-s, had them on my original alloys and they stuck like glue in both dry and wet..Other recommended brands are Bridgestone SO2/SO3 and Falkens

got avons on rear of mine and they havent stepped out since ive put them on, when i bought car it had pirrellis on and seemed very twitchy on corners like it was on ice, only lost it once though on first day i got it but that was my fault entirely, mines a rev 1 as well and theyre supposed to be worst for it

nankangs are fairly well known tyres, not great tyres though

get some toyo t1-s, or I believe bridgestones are good for mr2's :)

if the rear end comes out that easily... it's an accident waiting to happen :o

I Think the T1-R's have superseded them mate, I have them on mine atm, very nice :arrgg-matey:

I've got Toyo Proxy T1-S on my *cough* Yaris but they are very good wet weather tyres, mind you I don't think they are very hard wearing!

I'll be getting Toyo Proxy T1-R's next cos they have replaced the T1-S. :yes:

If you are looking for a tyre that grips well in all conditions and lasts reasonably, but won't break the bank, go for Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s. Kumho have lots of racing experience and the 712s are known as "budget performance" tyres. I find them almost as good as F1s, slightly quieter on the road if anything. Sadly they don't do the 712 pattern (F1 look a like) in the right width for front fitting in 15" so you'd have to go for 711s. You'll get 215/40/17 and 235/40/17 712s for about £260 for the set of four.

If you are looking for a tyre that grips well in all conditions and lasts reasonably, but won't break the bank, go for Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s. Kumho have lots of racing experience and the 712s are known as "budget performance" tyres. I find them almost as good as F1s, slightly quieter on the road if anything. Sadly they don't do the 712 pattern (F1 look a like) in the right width for front fitting in 15" so you'd have to go for 711s. You'll get 215/40/17 and 235/40/17 712s for about £260 for the set of four.

Hi Stef,

Are these better than the Toyo Proxes as I can get a set of 4 for £258 delivered.

Cheers Dave

Hi Stef,

Are these better than the Toyo Proxes as I can get a set of 4 for £258 delivered.

Cheers Dave

I think they are better. Some people swear by toyos, some swear at them. You might find the Kumhos even cheaper. Personally I'd take the Kumhos every time. I paid £260 for a set of 4 fitted and balanced.

I think they are better. Some people swear by toyos, some swear at them. You might find the Kumhos even cheaper. Personally I'd take the Kumhos every time. I paid £260 for a set of 4 fitted and balanced.

Where did you get that price from Stef?

Where did you get that price from Stef?

Went into our local tyre place, Kirkby Tyres in ...Kirkby.