Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Beeping Sound Whilst Driving Car

ceena1

Hi,

I bought my Avensis D-4D T3-S yesterday and when I was driving the car today, it started to beep while I was on the road. The beeping frequency increased after a few seconds. Does anyone know what this was or why it happened??

When the car started to beep, I quickly looked at my dashboard but didn't see anything wrong. But after a few seconds the beeping frequency increased so I quickly found a spot to stop my car. The beeping went away when I turned the engine off. The car was fine after that and I managed to drive away ok.

I've been reading the 'guide' which came with the car to see if I could find anything on this issue however there is nothing. I'm a bit worried if this was a warning for something major?? :(

Any ideas would be great!

hi mate......

Welcome to TOC.

( sorry...but no idea about your beeps though. )

Someone will be along soon who'll know something though,

Rich

You bet your ***** you have a problem. You need to get down to your nearest Toyota dealer and get the beeper fixed. I had a friend who had this problem. Turned out to be the beeper. I don't think the Toyotas made in England have the same grade of beepers that the Toyotas made in Japan have. I'm thinking about buying a Honda Accord. They have better beepers. Hope this helps.

does your car have sat nav?

Yes, it does however I've not got round to using it yet as I only aquired the car yesterday... Would that be causing it?? :unsure:

Thanks!

Beepers sound when driver or passenger seatbelts are not fixed and someone is in the seat. I find that if I drive off without my passenger putting their belt on, it beeps. The beep will change the longer the seatbelt isn't used. So it could be a malfunction there?

Not sure about satnav, but when I took the demo car out for a drive (which had sat nav) we pressed every button going and it never beeped!

Some cars have a beep when you drive with the hand brake on-make sure it is fully off when driving.

Apart from that have some one in the passenger seat and press every button you can to see if it makes a difference!

Good luck and let us know how you get on-it helps others!

Apart from that-are you enjoying the car?

You bet your ***** you have a problem. You need to get down to your nearest Toyota dealer and get the beeper fixed.  I had a friend who had this problem. Turned out to be the beeper.  I don't think the Toyotas made in England have the same grade of beepers that the Toyotas made in Japan have. I'm thinking about buying a Honda Accord. They have better beepers.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! Somebody else is asking about sat nav... I hope it is some wrong setting on that rather than a faulty beeper! But I'll follow your advice if I don't get any other response... Thanks again!

Beepers sound when driver or passenger seatbelts are not fixed and someone is in the seat. I find that if I drive off without my passenger putting their belt on, it beeps. The beep will change the longer the seatbelt isn't used. So it could be a malfunction there?

Not sure about satnav, but when I took the demo car out for a drive (which had sat nav) we pressed every button going and it never beeped!

Some cars have a beep when you drive with the hand brake on-make sure it is fully off when driving.

Apart from that have some one in the passenger seat and press every button you can to see if it makes a difference!

Good luck and let us know how you get on-it helps others!

Apart from that-are you enjoying the car?

Hi,

Many thanks for the suggestions, they sound very plausible...

I never had a passenger in the car and I think my seat belt was ok cos the wee warning light wasn't showing for the seat belt when I started the car. However the handbrake might have caused it... Because maybe I hadn't taken it off properly initially, and after the beeping when I stopped and switched the engine off, I put the handbrake on as well. And perhaps I released it properly the second time when the started driving.... However, say if that was the case, would the beeping not have started from the very start when I started to drive?? I drove for about 2-3 minutes before this happened.

I do really like the car.

However cos it's a diesel (and also cos of my clutch control not being too good with this new car!!) it is a bit slow moving from stationary. So I end up missing lots of oppotunities on the busy roundabouts and also unintentionally giving a lot of people spaces who are coming out of junctions!

But other than this, I'm quite enjoying it. I think it was worth buying it 'almost new' as the price I got it for was quite reasonable. :)

I got my car saturday so when I drove for the first time with the passenger not wearing their belt (as soon as the misses gets in, I'm off into the nearest gap hence the beeping!). Scared the life out of me. I'm still finding what the car can do, plus my first auto so thats all new! Good pick up though,and kickdown! whoa boy, off like a scolded cat.

I am not 100% sure on the handbrake, I just know that previous cars had a beeping if I didn't release it 100%, so it's a thought.

Other than that...low fuel? But that is normally a light and no sound.

Door ajar? again normally a light on the dash and no noise.

I was amazed at first as to how the car knew the passenger was in the seat and not wearing a belt until I realised there is a seat sensor!

Anyway, enjoy the car, I know I am enjoying mine!

Hi!

I have experienced that the seat sensor is sensitive. Shopping bags in the passenger seat have triggered my belt alarm. Maybe you had something in the passenger seat weighing close to the trigger level, and a bump released the alarm?

If you think the seat belt buzzer is annoying, try this trick:

* turn on ignition

* in less than 6 sec, start pressing the "trip-meter stick" and press it down for more than 10 sec.

* while keeping the "trip-meter stick" pressed, fasten the seat belt

* release the "stick" and the trip-display will show "b-on" and change to "b-off"

Buzzer is now off!

Steinar

Hi!

I have experienced that the seat sensor is sensitive. Shopping bags in the passenger seat have triggered my belt alarm. Maybe you had something in the passenger seat weighing close to the trigger level, and a bump released the alarm?

If you think the seat belt buzzer is annoying, try this trick:

* turn on ignition

* in less than 6 sec, start pressing the "trip-meter stick" and press it down for      more than 10 sec.

* while keeping the "trip-meter stick" pressed, fasten the seat belt

* release the "stick" and the trip-display will show "b-on" and change to "b-off"

Buzzer is now off!

Steinar

thanks a lor for this information... for me its no problem bur my friends hate to put on theirseatbelts and just because of the beeper they dont want to come in my car :( ...

the sensor is sensitive for over 20kgs of weight on the seat... so the shopping bags shouldnt cause problem???

also... here in my country because the cars are all getting theese buzzers now people got funny solutions for them. they fasten the seatbelts and sit on them or just fasten from the back of the seat... so it doesnt beep... :lol:

Hi' date='

I bought my Avensis D-4D T3-S yesterday and when I was driving the car today, it started to beep while I was on the road. The beeping frequency increased after a few seconds. Does anyone know what this was or why it happened??

When the car started to beep, I quickly looked at my dashboard but didn't see anything wrong. But after a few seconds the beeping frequency increased so I quickly found a spot to stop my car. The beeping went away when I turned the engine off. The car was fine after that and I managed to drive away ok.

I've been reading the 'guide' which came with the car to see if I could find anything on this issue however there is nothing. I'm a bit worried if this was a warning for something major??

the handbreake can cause this but you say that there was no warning light... if it was because of the handbreake you should also have seen the warning light... something like (!) this in red...

i guess its a malfunction in the passenger seat... maybe should go to a service...

It sounds like your seat belt warning buzzer is sounding. When you don't fasten your seat belt the car beeps when you reach about 5mph. If you still don't fasten it the frequency and volume increases. If you had your belt on then there may be a fault with the system. See your dealer.

Hi,

I bought my Avensis D-4D T3-S yesterday and when I was driving the car today, it started to beep while I was on the road.  The beeping frequency increased after a few seconds.  Does anyone know what this was or why it happened??

When the car started to beep, I quickly looked at my dashboard but didn't see anything wrong. But after a few seconds the beeping frequency increased so I quickly found a spot to stop my car. The beeping went away when I turned the engine off.  The car was fine after that and I managed to drive away ok.

I've been reading the 'guide' which came with the car  to see if I could find anything on this issue however there is nothing.  I'm a bit worried if this was a warning for something major?? :(

• 8 years later...

I had same problem so pulled over when looking the passenger light was on but had no passenger but had a small bag of shopping in the passenger seat. After I took shopping off it stopped. The seats are very sensitive....

i had a 62 plate yaris courtesy car whilst mine was in for gearbox repairs and that started to beep .seemed to come from the passenger side and after a bit of search in the manual i found out that the sat nav had camera detectors and this had been switched on onec muted all was quiet.as to the passenger seat belt warning our 15 kilo dog sets if off if siting on the passenger seat.

• 5 years later...

I have just purchased a Toyota Yaris Icon 1.5 VVT-1CVT 2017. 

After 5 days car started beeping for no reason. Nothing showing any malfunction on the dashboard.

Nothing placed on empty seats. Passenger had seat belt on.

Its worrying anyone any ideas as to what it could be.

Kate

Interesting, your profile says Peter but your post says Kate ....

Anyway, a description of the beeping or better yet a video or audio recording would be useful.

29 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Interesting, your profile says Peter but your post says Kate ....

Hybrid?

Yes I drive it but my  husband  Peter bought it. Maybe I should have joined in my name 😊.

Do you have sat nav (eg Touch 2 with Go)? If so could be something like speed camera warnings.

For reference, this is the seatbelt warning beeper on my 2007 Avensis. Towards the end, it changes tone. I'm not currently aware of any other system on the car which triggers this particular warning beeper. The handbrake doesn't seem to have any warning on my car beyond the dashboard light. My satnav isn't working, so I can't get the camera warning tone in a video for you to compare.

and if you put a handbag or something on passenger seat on the cusp of being heavy enough to think someone is sitting on the passenger seat without a seatbelt!!!! it will intermittently beep

• 9 months later...

I have the same issue, I have my car 13 years and it has just started this beeping noise. 2006 model Yaris. It is in the garage and it will not stop beeping. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had this before when I first bought my car. I was gutted thinking I bought a car already littered with problems. I found in mine there is a sensor under the passenger seat. I used to put my bag on it not realising it was telling the car there was someone in the seat with no seatbelt on.

As soon as i stopped putting my bag on the seat it stopped. Not sure if it is the same for other models of the Avensis though.

• 1 year later...

Hi there. Reeally late here, I had this same issue. I realized that my gym bag was on the front seat, and my car thought there was a person without a seatbelt. -Avensis 2003

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links