Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nav Install Advice For Avensis

BritishAndy

Can anyone advise me if there is a best route for getting navigation put into my Avensis (2001).

We have just got the car and it doesn't have it, but the garage said it was a fairly straightforward upgrade that could be done after purchase for about £1000.

Sounds like a lot of money for what I assume is a boot mount unit pluged-in to existing wiring etc.

Is it as simple as that or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Is there any point in advertising for a 2nd hand nav unit?

Is there anywhere that will do it cheaper for me?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Andy.

I have an Avensis 2001 with sat nav fitted.

All you need is Cd-ROM unit & CD of UK. I can get you a CD-ROM unit for £300, but you will need to buy a CD for £140.

Cd-ROM just connects into harness on left side of boot ( 3 connectors ). Your GPS sensor should just ( if fitted, i think it's a small ball type sensor mounted on dash right in front of driver, next to screen vent ) pick up a signal once connected.

I take it you have the unit fitted into your dash?

Let me know if you want the unit.

:)

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have the normal Avensis Vermont (51) dash with the radio/fuel computer unit that has the buttons for nav, re-route etc.

I have also found a (previously unnoticed) sensor next to the screen vent as you described. I will check that the wiring is in place in the boot this weekend (if it ever stops raining).

I think so far this looks like I should just be able to plug it in.

£300 for a unit is the best price I have had so far.

What can you tell me about the CD? Where can I get it, is there an ongoing subscription fee?

Thanks again,

Andy

Well........ I opened the boot, removed the floor cover, removed the lhs side panel - no wiring! I removed the rhs side panel, the rear seat side pads and just about everything else - no wiring! I pulled up the GPS receiver in the front and it has wires attached which I am assuming is a good thing, but where the hell is the loom for the CD unit - help!

I have attached a picture.

post-19-1051969983.jpg

Thanks for this, I might give him a call depending on the results of this wiring loom problem.

Thanks again.

Just for the record I ahve now self installed a nav unit and found the following:

The wiring for nav unit is not installed by default but rather it is supplied with the new nav unit (unless ofcourse you have a car that once had a nav unit that has been replaced).

The small ball sensor near the air vent is nothing to do with the GPS - it looks like a light sensor for the dimming dash - but if anyone knows what it is then let me know.

The GPS sensor comes with the new unit - not pre-installed (on Avensis Vermont anyway) and it installs on top of the instrument cluster cowl inside the dash.

This installation involves removal of te centre radio/multi display, the instrument panel, the underside trim, the glove box, the door weather seals, the rear seat side pad and the boot side panels - this is not difficult but not for the faint hearted or those with no screwdriver skill and patience.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Andy.

Re the small dome-shape thing on the dash. Just to play devils advocate, it isn't anything to do with the climate control is it?.

I know other cars with CC have a dash mounted sensor to detect sunlight/heat etc, as well as measuring the air temp via other methods. It all goes to decide on heat/cold/power to the unit.

Could be wrong of course.!

Yes, the dome shaped sensor is a Sunload sensor for your auto A/C.

I knew the GPS sensor was in the dash but was unsure of exactly where.

What Version Nav disk did you manage to obtain & how much was it?

Hi,

I was dead lucky. I got a second hand unit that was still boxed & unused, with the latest disk (not sure what version but will check). It was a bundle so didn't have a separate price for disk.

Andy.

Hi Andy

If you dont mind me asking where did you get the second hand sat nav from as I've just bought a 2001 avensis but they cant find the nav box!