Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tip 4 A Cheap Powerful Amp

Guest Calum

Guest Calum

heres a trick i picked up a while ago.

for a slight loss in sound quality that you shouldn't notice, you can double the power of an amp just by changing the wiring around.

Instead of running the amp with the supplied leads from your head unit, try running it from the cars original speaker wires.

Double the wattage goes through these wires, so the result will be Speakers or subs that are at least twice as loud. Useful, if you cannot afford a very powerful amp.

However, watch out for blowing your Speakers or draining your Battery, you have been warned!

Try if you don't believe...

Depends how you do it - if you are suggesting wiring a high level speaker output into the line level input on an amplifier then I wouldn't try this with any equipment you are perticularly fond of! The amplifier is designed to take up to around 10v line level on its line level inputs (RCA) - the post amplified outputs of most headunits will more than likely exceed this and damage the amp.

If you are refering to amplifiers that have both line level input (RCA) and high level input (Speaker Terminals) then yes the amplifier will give a higher output generally if you use the high level input - remember though that the loss in quality is dependent on how good the high level signal from the head unit is - any noise during the head units amplification will be amplified again by the power amp. This is why "pre-out" outputs are given from head units, so a clean signal can be amplified by your power amp.

If you want a relativly cheap way to boost line level input voltages, you could put a pro line driver between your head unit and power amp on the RCA cables, this boosts the signal from the head unit to around 7 - 8 volts. This works especially well if your front Speakers are amplified - gives nice mid bass responce and much more controlled sound.

Steve.

Guest Calum

the equiptment i currently use:

cd player(4x50w)

4 Speakers (150w each)

2 amps (100w and 200w)

and a 500w sub,

only cost me £170 in all, so i'm just looking for really cheap ways to make it sound better.

I cut off the rca leads, and wired them straight from the factory loom, and have had no problems, though you're probably right, i wouldn't suggest it for someone with an expensive system!

But i have seen many people doing it on cruises now, just trying to get that ear-splitting sound.

sounds a bit mad to me but if you've only got a low powered system it's worth a try.

I think i'll keep to the RCA lead though

Guest Calum

My ice system, is a mixture of rockford fosgate, alpine and sony, so its not too cheap a system, though it did not cost me too much.

Has never hurt it, and it means i can double my SPL. also have seen some people with 1000w amps using this system to double their power. Wouldn't be too good for SPQ though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links