Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horsepower

Bozzy

Hi everybody, I've just joined today so I'm hoping somebody out there has far more knowledge than me (not that thats too hard) and can help me out. I've got a P reg Celica GT and I'm looking to increase the horsepower without putting too much strain on the engine, I've checked out superchips and they can only add 5% and for £300.00 it's not what I would call a good deal.

Has anybody got any ideas.

Cheers :)

Nothing as yet, I'm probably going to get a K&N induction kit but I don't know how much extra grunt that'll give me and if thats the best road to go down.

Your starting point is a free flowing exhaust and an air filter. Most other mechanical / electronic mods will be hampered if the car can not breathe.

Guest Calum

K & N Claim that an induction kit adds on 5-10% power, though on my mates car, it gives much more kick. For the price, its probably the best bet.

If you can get hold of a decent exhaust supplier that doesn't charge too much, putting in a bigger bore exhaust can certainly help, probably by up to 5 % at the most.

Chipping is always expensive, though it does depend upon how good the chip and the programming is. Why not have a look at what other people have done...

I assume the Celica GT is a F/I car? If so I'm sure there must be a chip out there that does better than a superchip... e.g. for Vaux there is one that hikes the original power by about 25%.

I've heard Unichips are good for MR2s, is this true for Celicas also?

TBH induction kits and free flow zorsts are probably worth 5-10bhp togethor on a RR. All the huge power claims they make are mostly bull, and the owners who have installed them are suffering from the placebo effect of "I've spent money, of course it goes much faster" - by the same equation, every time I wash my car I release a few more bhp!

Incidentally, Apexi inductions kits whilst more expensive are better for your engine by a long way, and produce a slightly better performance improvement.

Guest Calum

Yeah, but it depends what kind of soap you clean your car with, as to how much more power you can get. I doubled my cars power using nivea hand cream.

Thanks a lot I'll give the induction kit a go !

While I got you on line I recently upgraded my alloys from the standard 15" to 17", I've had the wheels tracked and apparently the wheels got balanced by the supplier but I'm getting a lot of vibration through the steering wheel when I get above 60 mhp.

Any ideas ? <_<

Guest Calum

if its not the tracking, then the only things i can think of, are firstly, the aspect ratio of your wheels, what is the profile of them?

And it really shouldn't matter at 60mph, but what is the speed rating of your tyres? t,h,v, etc?

Apart from those, it might be to do with suspension or more compicated things i would leave to a garage.

1) Check they are torqued tight correctly!

2) Check tyre pressures are correct (I assume the manual will tell you the correct ones)

3) Are they second hand rims? Could be buckled?

4) Get them balanced somewhere else (most likely)

Yeah, but it depends what kind of soap you clean your car with, as to how much more power you can get. I doubled my cars power using nivea hand cream.

:lol::lol:

Not much you can do for N.A. cars. You can get full exhaust system induction kit, unichip chiptset, camshaft and nitrous oxide. Thats about it aside from losing some weight off the interior

Has anyone tried the Superchips ICON, from Fensport.

Its supposed to (stated by fensport):

"Reprogrammes your engines Ignition Advance Curve giving approximately 8 BHP increase at 4,500rpm. Improved Power/Torque and throttle response From 3,000rpm, Easily fitted into wiring loom just ahead of ecu. "

Any good?

Also will it mess up your Apexi Air Fuel Computer etc..