Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

£700 For A 3" Piece Of Silicone Hose.

veilside_mr2

Man that's bad news.

I'm rather surprised at Thor Racing though. Until now I've only ever heard positive things said about Thor. I can appreciate the fact that 3 hours on a dyno could be deemed as pretty harsh on various components of the car though.

Could it be possible therefore that there was already a problem with the car before it went to Thor and that the rolling road testing merely added to this causing the gearbox failure?

I know how you feel about signing a disclaimer to render the rolling road company non liable in the event of something breaking, been there done that and felt ill as it hit 7k revs ;)

I hope you get things sorted ASAP

:yes:

Sorry to hear about the car.

It's always a nightmare with RR as they make sure they cover themselves good and proper with the clauses.

I was at Millway a couple of weeks back with the odd 30 other Rovers. I couldn't beleive that despite us watching , they still bounced them off the rev limiter. Glad mine never got tested that day.

Still, at least you can get a gearbox fixed......have a thought for my mate who brought his mugan CRX to Millway that day. Got a fantastic result from the turbo, came off the rollers, mate jumped in passenger seat and off round the block for a spin.

Anyone who knows Millway....they came out, turned left into the one way bit, did the first right, blasted down the straight and locked up, smacked the curb, taking a chunk out of it, bounced up and over onto the grass and wrote it off.

Luckily the engine just got transfered into his other CRX.

does the h pattern on the selector feel sloppy or is it as tight as ?

u actually have to force the gear-stick into every gear, then once its been in..it sorta gets a bit easier and easier, as if its seized or sumthin.

From what you've described, it sounds very much like they've burnt your clutch out. When the car was on the rollers, did it sound at any time like it revved faster than it should (if you know what I mean - like it slipped on the rollers)?

When your car goes to a rolling road, you should be able to watch the process. Any decent rolling road will encourage you to watch as the owners are pretty dyed in the wool enthusiasts themselves and by getting more powere out of your motor in a safe and controlled manner, you are more likely to go back, or recommend a mate. If they shut you out, I'd have my car out of there in a shot.

Hope you sort it out mate. Don't get too dispondant.

EarL.

Any decent rolling road will encourage you to watch as the owners are pretty dyed in the wool enthusiasts themselves and by getting more powere out of your motor in a safe and controlled manner, you are more likely to go back, or recommend a mate. If they shut you out, I'd have my car out of there in a shot.

so sorry to hear your news fella, what a bunch of :censor: . :!Removed!:

so as a conclusion to this, can peeps recommend their opinions of good rolling roaders, so as to be able to avoid the :censor: s.

thanks every1...uve made me feel better :)

my garage has got the gearbox out of the car today and they say the clutch is fine, its a brand new spec stage 3 clutch only been in 3 months so im glad thats ok.

they are just waiting for the gearbox to arrive sometime today so they can put it back 2gether.

They did say that there was not even a drop of gearbox fluid in it, it was bone dry, and i told them that thor told me there was a leak but he said even if there was a leak there would be SOME fluid in there.

So he thinks that when I got my clutch fitted, they didnt put any gearbox fluid back in? (im assuming you have to remove the gearbox and drain the fluid when you fit a new clutch?)

Did they manage to get a power reading before the gearbox let go?

I know the boxes are meant to be pretty strong, but your's could have been on it's way out and the extra grunt generated by fixing your other problems could have pushed it over the edge. What mileage has your gearbox done?

Also, putting a car on the rollers can put more strain through the box than normal road conditions. On the road, you get wheel spin which protects the clutch and box, but if your car is strapped down onto a dyno then it may be less likely to slip.

How much are you paying for the replacement box? I suspect it will be less than the cost of a full rebuild on yours.

No fluid? That's as bad as running an engine with no oil. *runs off to check my own gearbox fluid*

My friend bought a Subaru XT (1.8 turbo) with a kackered gearbox for £25. It was stuck in second, and he fixed it in an hour. Then we thrashed it till the big ends went... :lol:

yeah i got a power reading,

it was 305bhp@0.8 bar but it spiked to 0.95 at the top end (supposedly)

as far as i know the gearbox has never been changed, its done 76k kms.

does the gearbox fluid not get changed on a full service??..or at least checked?, as it was only serviced like 2 months ago.

oh and the gearbox is costing me £250 inc vat and delivery,(2nd hand)

yeah i got a power reading,

it was 305bhp@0.8 bar but it spiked to 0.95 at the top end (supposedly)

as far as i know the gearbox has never been changed, its done 76k kms.

does the gearbox fluid not get changed on a full service??..or at least checked?, as it was only serviced like 2 months ago.

oh and the gearbox is costing me £250 inc vat and delivery,(2nd hand)

a 'full service' should mean FULL as in everything should be checked, in my owners handbook it says checking manual transaxle oil should be carried out regularly, so if its not included in a major service then they arn't actually doing what the claim in the toyota checklist,...but then they don't anyway......we all know that.... supposedly at 60,000 mile a C service goes to the detail of checking valve lifter wear etc can you actually imagine that happening at your local dealer... NO CHANCE.

If THor told you you have a box oil leak, then the minimum they should have done is check the level before putting it on the rollers.

One thing good about millway, every single car got its oil level at least checked before touching the rollerson the R/R day recently, if it wasn't at maximum they topped it up.

yeah i always thought that the oil should be checked...but it did say on the disclaimer that u should have nice new oil etc, and if u didnt they would not run it on the rollers, but i dont think they checked...it was up to the customer, and i dont even know where u check the gearbox fluid level.

thanks fella,...and yeah it doesnt feel right when you cant watch  :(

never again.

Yeh must admit I would want to be there watching or I wouldnt let it run.

yeah i always thought that the oil should be checked...but it did say on the disclaimer that u should have nice new oil etc, and if u didnt they would not run it on the rollers, but i dont think they checked...it was up to the customer, and i dont even know where u check the gearbox fluid level.

to be honest its the sort of thing you get garages to check, or at least assum they check at service time. It isn't a 'hard' job just involve wriggling about under the car, it actually tells you how in the owners manual.

Interesting,

I've used Thor a few times and have never had a problem with them, the service was good and the results were great..... the guys do know there stuff. Plus I was alowed to watch....

I can't see how doing some power runs would affect the box?? Did it happen on the rollers??

Matt.

Sorry, just read page 2 of this post..... If you had no gear bx oil you will find the syncros have been mashed - hench why your having problems,

Who changed the clutch - i'd have something to say to them.....

Not really Thor's fault if there was no gear box oil, and there is no real way of checking the level without changing it.... Bad luck bud - hope it all gets fixed soon.

Matt.

yeah i know matt, im not blaming them, i was just really upset and the ppl who changed my clutch were nothing short of cowboys, but its not as if i can go back to them either as it was fitted 2-3 months ago.

ah well should be back on the road monday with everythin working fine :D

i left my car at dastek for the day to get unichipp'd.

as i couldn't stay and watch (work), they offered me a video tape when i went to pick the car up!

i didn't watch it but it was reassuring to know that they cared!

ahh makes sense

if there was no oil in the box then yes the syncros will be mangled :(

remeber oil is to a car as what blood is to us ;)

and there is no real way of checking the level without changing it....

Surely it's got a level plug? Remove this and a bit (dribble) of oil should come out..If not, just top up oil until it does. :thumbsup:

yeah id go with chappers

no way of seeing it but just fill the plug which should be up the side of the 'box until it slightly overflows

yep the level plug is on the front of the box just under the starter you cant miss it you need a 24mm socket to undo it.

i wouldnt blame thor though, i took the rolla on nobles rollers for a power run and my box is just about %$(ed (doesn't like going into 3rd) stilldrove home though. but no oil in the box... that would certainly do it. what torque did you get as its this that would kill the box?

hope you get it sorted dude

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links