Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 Vvti Or 2.0 D4d?

Rolla nutter

Currently driving a (03 reg) corolla t sport and now due for a new company motor...therefore I would be grateful if some of you can tell me a little bit about your Avensis.... any suggestions?

I moved from a 1.6 T-Spirit Corolla to a T3-X hatch, 2.0 litre auto in Silver Fern.

So far I have been very impressed with the Avensis. I was going to go for a used (new style still) Avensis, but wanted traction control etc which the earlier 1.8 didn't have. So a 2.0 is was going to be, but trying to find a used one of them.....no chance really.

In the end the dealer discounted a new 2.0 so much that it made sense to go for new.

I test drove a manual 1.8 and this was ok for speed, but maybe only slightly faster than my 1.6 Corolla. As I occasionally carry passengers, was going for an auto and wanted a bit of extra speed, the 2.0 won me over. OK, fuel around town is mid to high 20mpg, but for a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride I don't think this is too bad.

No problems so far-far less than my Corolla which had many issues from day 1. Hopefully (touch wood!) I won't have to go back to the dealer until 10,000 miles have passed!

Interior is lovely, plenty of toys to play with, and the auto box works well. Kickdown and it's off like a train. Slightly noisy at full revs but normally very quiet, especially on start up.

Stereo is very good, climate works well-in fact the car seems to warm up a lot quicker than my Corolla ever did. Loads of room inside....

I am very pleased with it-what else can I say!

Any specific questions, just ask!

If you must have an Avensis I would say go for the 2.0 Petrol as the 1.8 VVT-i petrol is getting rather shaky regarding longetivity in the old shape Avensis.

• 2 weeks later...
If you must have an Avensis I would say go for the 2.0 Petrol as the 1.8 VVT-i petrol is getting rather shaky regarding longetivity in the old shape Avensis.

jamesholden a 1.8 vvt-i like i have is good because the words mean verible valves timing intelligance that means that the car uses enough petrol at the right time i don't think it's that rubbish then are they?

jamesholden a 1.8 vvt-i like i have is good because the words mean verible valves timing intelligance that means that the car uses enough petrol at the right time i don't think it's that rubbish then are they?

It's not he technology i'm complaining about, the 1.8 VVT-i's have a well known fault on this forum for excess burning oil, and it appears to be just the same in the Celica and MR2, there is a weakness somewhere in either the manufacture or design of the engine which is causing this with quite a high number of people having to have replacement engines because of it, and the VVT-i bit isn't only for fuel economy, it's also to help with torque distribution.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links