Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Paseo Power?

jen09

you cant.....

on that note, anyone know somewhere where they do cylinder head porting / polishing and that kinda stuff?

Paseo/Sera/Starlet ECU's are very hard to crack.

I would possibly investigate the possibility of 5E-FHE ECU and injectors

Save up for a turbo conversion

Andew have you looked at the amount of Tercel guys with low-boost turbo upgrades on the 5EFE?

I imagine as you've said before that the engine isn't strong enough but it's interesting to see their set-ups.

Andew have you looked at the amount of Tercel guys with low-boost turbo upgrades on the 5EFE? 

I imagine as you've said before that the engine isn't strong enough but it's interesting to see their set-ups.

thanx for all the suggestions.

I've heard some of the claims, but not everything adds up in my mind. Its very easy to brag on the internet.

I suppose the only solution is for someone in the UK to try to turbo a Sera/Paseo.

The Starlet engine swap method is simple (esp. on a Sera) because it is a fully developed working engine being fitted into a different car but with very common wiring. There isn't much scope for things going wrong, assuming the engine is all OK to start with.

Adding a turbo to the 5E-F(H)E series of engine sounds easy but there are lots of factors to consider - is the compression ratio too high, are the pistons & rods strong enough. Will the clutch cope? Fuelling and so on.

I looked at both options when I was looking into modifiying my car, and I decided the safest system was to go for the engine swap. Its my everyday car and since being converted in March 2003 it has covered about 25000 kms. The only problems I've had was a sticking thermostat (common E series engine failing), and a sticking boost solenoid (bypassed), and most recently, the alternator failed (all of which could happen to any car)

Now, if I was doing the conversion to another car, one which wasn't required to be an everyday car, on the understanding that that a 5E turbo is in the realms of experimental engines as it was never produced by Toyota, and there is a possiblilitiy of things being more problematical than they may appear, then I would look at a 5E turbo conversion.

Andrew

There are a few companies who will port/polish a head. This is, however, a one way process - once its ported and polished, there is no way back, and a slight error would render the head to the scrap bin.

I have 2 spare heads which would be OK to use, so if someone wanted to get a head modified, they could get this head done which reduces the time off the road (and you've got the original head just in case)

I've never looked into how efficient the standard head is, but I would imagine that there would be a 5% increase, possibly more...

The reason why this isn't done by Toyota is that its quite time consuming and pushes the cost of the original build cost.

I've heard some of the claims, but not everything adds up in my mind.  Its very easy to brag on the internet.

I suppose the only solution is for someone in the UK to try to turbo a Sera/Paseo

I see exactly what you mean. :thumbsup:

you can super chip the Gen2's - Oli's got one  :thumbsup:

J

Yeah I think it's a Dastek one? Funny though I've looked on their site and could never find one <_<

Mmmm turbos :drool::lol:

you can super chip the Gen2's - Oli's got one  :thumbsup:

J

Yeah I think it's a Dastek one? Funny though I've looked on their site and could never find one <_<

Mmmm turbos :drool::lol:

:thumbsup: cheers for all the help. contacted dastek but they need to get back to me with addresses of uk dealers. they still are not sure if it can be done to my baby paseo :crybaby: still going to keep it though. Well at least for another 12mths!

ive checked out dastek in the past, i think they have a piggyback ecu which they program to your car, so its not really CHIPPING your car, but it basically does the same thing.

well i dunno, im considering turboing the 5efe, and then transplanting a 4efte later on when im tired of the 5efe.....or i might just do the transplant when i get the money....but i dunno

just do the conversion. It will work out cheaper and less troubleprone. This could be further improved with tuning.

just do the conversion.  It will work out cheaper and less troubleprone.  This could be further improved with tuning.

Full conversion sounds a lot of work/money! :eek: contacted a jap import centre and they are looking into MoTeC or E-Manage ecu's? Not quite sure exactly how they work but they give similar results. Any info? :hokus-pokus:

Oh. and by the way, my ickle Paseo needs to stay reliable! :unsure:

A Motec ECU or E-manage piggyback is pricey, needs careful setting up and won't give a tiny increase in power, making it poor value for money on a Paseo.

I'd put that money towards a turbo conversion. A basic turbo conversion will give 135bhp in standard 100% reliable form, or much more if you then tune it.

Andrew did you convert that second Sera yet? Was it a customer job or for a friend?

Just fishing for a ballpark figure – I know the Paseo is different so might be more involved etc.

Yes, this has been done, although we didn't do the bonnet as the customer had a local company who he wanted to do this.

Am going to be doing another in the new year.

Paseos seem to be more complicated in the wiring...

Yes, this has been done, although we didn't do the bonnet as the customer had a local company who he wanted to do this.

Am going to be doing another in the new year.

Paseos seem to be more complicated in the wiring...

Yes I thought you'd say that! :) Also there seems to be room for a FMIC which would save that cost I guess.

Yes, but at the added expense of FMIC & pipework.

Andrew

Ive done the 4efte conversion on a 2nd gen 96 paseo, is quite expensive but i would imagine alot cheaper that trying to set up a turbo on a 5e. and the 4e is a standard turbo charged engine so it is built to cope with the turbo.

the fmic cost me £280 and the pipe work £550

96paseo - i think it was wiring on your car that was the major stumbling block. Was information taken to help others?

Andrew

well im thinkinf of doing up the 5efe, turbo it, completely strengthen the bottom end and block, and then when im tired of it, go to a 4efte, then after that a 4age....then from there, i dunno

if you were to make a low presure turbo set up for the 5e what basic things would you need off the fte

obviusly the turbo, the manifold and a boost controler

but do you need the fte loom ecu and other things?

well ive actually found a turbo kit for the 5efe that includes EVERYTHING....tis a bit expensive though.......and its in america

well ive actually found a turbo kit for the 5efe that includes EVERYTHING....tis a bit expensive though.......and its in america.....and it would give 145hp (without upgrades like a ball bearing upgrade etc..)