Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa Timing Belt

tanman

hi, this is my 1st day on this great site.

i have just bought a toyota previa 2.4 GS auto PETROL.

1995 with 65,000 on the clock, with full service history.

the car is due a service, i took it to toyota and the lady there said the service is a big one. The toyota B service. she gave me price then quoted me a price for a timing belt, which she said i will also need to replace after 63.000. so it was due.

price quoted just for fitting timing belt was £350. I nearly past out.

so i took car to my small local garage he reckons the previa does not have a timing belt, but a chain. ( which do not need replacing)

can someone tell me for sure, if it has a timing belt or chain. im also getting this local garage to do the full toyota service for £100 less than toyota quote.

also does the previa have automatic choke, when i 1st start in morning a need to keep revs up with accer, or the car wants to stall. has anyone had this problem? is my choke not working? only seems to happen 1st time each day that i start the car.

hope you can give me some advice.

thanks

Hello, welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

I can't really help you as i have the jap spec emina and it's deisel but I was told recently that they "may" have a timing chain which does not need replacing. The garage i had the mot done at recently were going to check for me and they never got back.

I will try and get in touch with them again as they could check in their book and I'll ask about yours aswell. (unless anyone else knows)

I would imagine you have an automatic choke which sounds like it isn't working, sorry not much of a mechanic but i'm sure someone will be along to clear it up.

Not sure how much you should be paying for a B service (mine was done when i bought it 7 months ago) but £250 sounds about right and better than £350 and more often than not a local garage will do a better job than Toyota.

Enjoy the club and your new Toyota :thumbsup:

Hello, welcome to the club. :thumbsup: 

I can't really help you as i have the jap spec emina and it's deisel but I was told recently that they "may" have a timing chain which does not need replacing. The garage i had the mot done at recently were going to check for me and they never got back.

I will try and get in touch with them again as they could check in their book and I'll ask about yours aswell. (unless anyone else knows)

I would imagine you have an automatic choke which sounds like it isn't working, sorry not much of a mechanic but i'm sure someone will be along to clear it up.

Not sure how much you should be paying for a B service (mine was done when i bought it 7 months ago) but £250 sounds about right and better than £350 and more often than not a local garage will do a better job than Toyota.

Enjoy the club and your new Toyota :thumbsup:

thanks for your info and welcome.

the petrol engine is indeed a chain. get yourself a chiltons manual, they are excellent for info.

Do you know if the Diesel is a chain P11GT, I haven't been able to find out yet?

thanks for clearing that up. crazy toyota wanted to charge me £350 to fit timing belt during its service. and it hasn''t even got a belt.

they must be the most untrustworthy of all main dealers.

Do you know if the Diesel is a chain P11GT, I haven't been able to find out yet?

The 3CT and 3CT-E turbo diesel engines used in the Estima Emina and Estima Lucida have timing belts which need changing every 100,000Km or 5 years. :bookworm:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links