Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 Sequoia Brake Problems

sbudreau

I have a 2001 Sequoia with 18000 miles. Yesterday the VSC lights came on and the emergency brake light came on when using the regular brakes. Then the 4 wheel drive lights came on and the steering started to bind up. Towed it to dealer and they said the brake fluid was low, brakes had 50% and I would need to have pads replaced. I absolutely do not use my brakes a lot nor do I drive with my brakes on. I can't believe pads can go after 18000 miles even if it is a heavy car.

After checking on the Internet, there are several Sequoia owners having the same problem. The company doesn't seem to want to take any responsibility for this flaw. Anyone else having the problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 4 months later...

I also have a 2001 sequoia with 36,000 miles. At a recent tire rotation the tech told me that I needed new brake pads because mine are down to 10%. I live in Florida (not very hilly), usually drive alone, not much weight in my truck, so I'm not sure why my brakes wore out so fast - or is this just normal wear and tear for a heavy sport ute?

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the club.

For some reason Toyota Thundras and Sequoia 01/03. came out with small calipers which will make are car vibrate. There is a fix (TSB) but if you are over 36,000 miles than you must cough up $2,000 to get it fixed. I am hopeing they will make it a recall so we dont have to pay for it. To participate in making it a recall campaign visit www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 Sequoia <limited> it currently has 27,000 miles on it I am about to change my pads for the 4rth time thats 6700 per set of pads (terrible) I'm not the best driver, I am a bit hard on my brakes, but thats just plain crazy. My rotors have warped twice, and this morning My Emergency Brake Light came on this morning while I was driving, as well as the VCS and TRAC lights. This happened one other time in the past and I was told by the dealership that my brake fluid was low. I popped the hood and sure enough the brake fluid level is on MIN. I dont know much about cars but I do know that brake fluid isnt supposed to dissapear. But this is the second time in 27000 miles that the fluid level has dropped. There are no stains on my drive way, so I dont know if its leaking or what, but I think that the warping of the rotor warpings were caused by whatever brake problem plauges these cars.

Does anyone have the TSB # for the brakes problem mentioned in this thread? And does anyone have any other info to ofeerm me on this problem?

thnx

FYI the TSB is "BR005-02" and there are 4 options that the dealer can perform.

BR2002 Front Brake Caliper and Rotor Replacement (2WD, Both Sides)

BR2003 Front Brake Caliper Replacement and Rotor Grinding (2WD, Both Sides)

BR2004 (same as BR2002 for 4WD)

BR2005 (same as BR2003 for 4WD)

I went to Magic Toyota in Orlando, FL this last weekend and got BR2002 performed. The service manager told me that they put Land Cruiser Calipers and Pads on in place of the undersized Tundra OEM calipers and pads. The new rotors are OEM Sequoia rotors, and they are brand new and feel much more firm! They had the vehicle all day and performed several other TSB's, like Diagnostic Tester - Customize Function, SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS, TSB "SS005-01" where they reprogram the computer to have door locks lock automatically whenever the vehicle is put into gear, and they also did several changes to the computer as well.

Next Friday they are doing A/C - Compressor Noise/Seizure, HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING, TSB "AC001-02" where they replace the rear A/C suction hose and compressor filter (they had to order the parts). They are doing this as a preventative to keep the rear compressor from seizing (apparently there is a problem with this). All of this is done at no charge to me! I am very satisfied with this dealership and their willingness to help me keep my Sequoia in good working condition. They spent 7 hours in labor on the brakes/rotors/calipers and will spend 8 hours in labor on the rear A/C.

ALL OF THIS LABOR AND PARTS IS 100% FREE IF YOU ARE UNDER 36,000 MILES!!!

Do like markschoen (a previous poster) said and go to www.alldata.com and do the research yourself. Thanks markschoen, that was the best $24.95 that I ever spent. By the way, you should have seen the look on the service managers face when I walked in with all of the technical service bulletins in my hand. He smiled and said "what do you have there" (nervously) LOL.

Todd Neff - Oviedo, FL

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited

29,600 miles and I still love her!

• 3 weeks later...

Brake fluid goes down with brake wear, which is normal. Brake fluid fills the caliper cylinders as the pad wears and travels. If you replaced the pads yourself, you'd see the fluid level rise as you backed the cylinders into the caliper.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links