Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starlet 1998 Help Engine Management Problems

ToFFeeCrisp

toyota starlet 98 1.3

Ive had this problem for quite some time and its giving me a big headache. when driving on the motorway one day when it was raining i noticed my engine management system light come on. I had previously had my toyota for a year and it had been fine. since that day the light came on more often and now its pretty much on all the time but ocasionally goes off and my car is fine.

it takes me about 10 mins now to get the car going from a cold start and when the EM light is on the revs are always hanging low. It seems to take longer to start the more cold it is. but some times it starts up perfect and seems to run fine and sounds strong but the EM light always comes on and the revs start hanging low again and the car seems to struggle a bit.

I have had it into toyota on a machine and it gives this :

code 22.open or short in coolent temp

circuit.poss coolent temp sensor fault

toyota fitted two temp sensors (t89422-16010 and t89422-22030) i told them I had already had this replaced but they told me that they had the old one out and said it was faulty they tried the two different temp sensors and then told me my old part that they said was faulty, was fine(idiots).

I then told him(toyota) on the phone that the car had a powerflow system power box installed and no sooner had I said that he told me that, this was causing the problem and he couldnt do anything else with it (which I think is a load of bull ****-easy option out).

on my paper work he gave me it said this

a np parts fitted, "piggyback" tuning ECU fitted cutting into problem wiring from ecu

my car has had the powerbox installed when i got the car and the car ran perfect for a good year. I have no idea what to do to get the car fixed now because if toyota havent got a clue who has and it costs evertime it goes on the machine.

as anyone had this or any similiar problems with there Engine Manegment because im realy at my wits end here. I can still drive the car its just annoying that it takes me 5 - 10 mins before i can get the engine started and when it does start the revs are always low and sometimes it misses but once the car has been running for 15 mins its generaly ok just the revs hang low when the cars stationary.

could it not be just a simple idle valve or sumthin,im not very mechanical minded but two of my friends have had problems with there cars not starting or cuttin out,(saxo an corsa) on the saxo its just a simply clip on the throttle cable,but thats really just a short term fix,hes really needing a new single point injector,an on the corsa he got his idle valve changed :S

Not really sure how much help this is but i thought id have an imput

Im sure one of the clever ppl will solve it for you! lol

ey up toffee crisp!

where bouts u from in barnsley?

and bout your problem has your car been serviced recently/

i.e plugs and filters,coolant change?

craig :thumbsup:

I'm from cudworth its not 2 far from the town (tarn)

hmm, ive had the plugs changed but I havent had the filters or coolent changed think I will try that. i will also ask my mechanic about the idle valve thing im not too mechaniclly minded either

some how though I dont think it will be as simple as this to fix but i hope it is keep the solutions coming :thumbsup:

There are a number of Starlet people in Barnsley. Some with turbos over at www.toyotaownersclub.com

Maybe one could help, or recommend someone...

my old pug 106 had a similar problem where the idle was low and it occasionally cut out on me, it turned out the problem there was a vacuum line was split so it may be worth checkin them as well mate.

then my other pug 106 quiksilver had a problem with cuttin out but this one turned out to be the block temp sensor. the nice people at the garage said it needed a new loom at 500 quid, i got a sensor from a 306 at the local scrappy for a quid fitted it and job was a good un. :thumbsup:

hope you get it sorted

Jim

was with the barnsly boys on sunday.....wow i want a turbo lol,was talking to them good lads :D

Cant say i use gtturbo much ne1 else? the colours for starters really bug me lol,an hardly ne one posts :(

• 4 years later...
toyota starlet 98 1.3

Ive had this problem for quite some time and its giving me a big headache. when driving on the motorway one day when it was raining i noticed my engine management system light come on. I had previously had my toyota for a year and it had been fine. since that day the light came on more often and now its pretty much on all the time but ocasionally goes off and my car is fine.

it takes me about 10 mins now to get the car going from a cold start and when the EM light is on the revs are always hanging low. It seems to take longer to start the more cold it is. but some times it starts up perfect and seems to run fine and sounds strong but the EM light always comes on and the revs start hanging low again and the car seems to struggle a bit.

I have had it into toyota on a machine and it gives this :

code 22.open or short in coolent temp

circuit.poss coolent temp sensor fault

toyota fitted two temp sensors (t89422-16010 and t89422-22030) i told them I had already had this replaced but they told me that they had the old one out and said it was faulty they tried the two different temp sensors and then told me my old part that they said was faulty, was fine(idiots).

I then told him(toyota) on the phone that the car had a powerflow system power box installed and no sooner had I said that he told me that, this was causing the problem and he couldnt do anything else with it (which I think is a load of bull ****-easy option out).

on my paper work he gave me it said this

a np parts fitted, "piggyback" tuning ECU fitted cutting into problem wiring from ecu

my car has had the powerbox installed when i got the car and the car ran perfect for a good year. I have no idea what to do to get the car fixed now because if toyota havent got a clue who has and it costs evertime it goes on the machine.

as anyone had this or any similiar problems with there Engine Manegment because im realy at my wits end here. I can still drive the car its just annoying that it takes me 5 - 10 mins before i can get the engine started and when it does start the revs are always low and sometimes it misses but once the car has been running for 15 mins its generaly ok just the revs hang low when the cars stationary.

my starlets got the same problem.did u ever get it sorted