Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

£300 For O2 Sensor On Carina E 1.8 Auto... Or Not?

CarinaGeek

I need to replace my oxygen sensor on my Carina E 1.8 GS 5DR Auto (1997/R) with 7A-FE engine.

As usual, Toyota want £300 for part no 89463-29065. :censor: The old part says 89463-20080 on it.

I thought I was looking at a big spend until someone told me "For reasons known only to Toyota, a different lambda sensor was fitted to Automatic vehicles than Manuals. Manual 1.8 Carina E's are fitted with a super-fast heating lambda sensor that costs over £200 to replace while Automatic 1.8 Carina E's were fitted with a standard 4-wire Zirconia sensor." :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if this true? Can the automatic be fitted with a generic sensor... or is this fools gold?

Thanks

www.justlambda.co.uk

A sensor we are often asked for is one to fit the Toyota Carina E. This vehicle uses a special Toyota Lean Burn Sensor. The ones that we carry are Genuine Toyota Sensors as in our experience nothing else will work satisfactorily. These are suitable for sensors with a 45mm mounting pitch and were the original part number corresponds to 89463-xxxxx. Includes new gasket.

A small number of Toyota Carina's use a Lean Burn Sensor with a 55mm pitch. We advise that this measurement is checked carefully.

If you have any queries about this application please email info@lambdasensor.com,

use the Contact Form or ring on 01482 443320.

Sigh! When it comes to lambda sensors and Toyota Carinas the only thing in this world that is certain is that nothing is certain.

I have consulted with several different suppliers and, whilst all sound equally authorititive and logical, no two vendors have given me the same advice.

One supplier has told me that a Walker part #250-54024 is what I need.

A breaker has kindly offered me an original used part with 30 days warranty at £157!!!!! (I would rather pay my Toyota dealer £300).

One supplier (not Toyota dealer) says I must get the exact Toyota part number (89463-29065).

Another says I must have a Toyota part but suggests that it is the same part for all Toyota Carina lean burn engines (that have flange with stud holes 45mm apart). I.e. all Toyota part numbers starting "89463-", of which there are several depending upon engine size/age/transmission.

For those who, like me, drive automatic 1.8 Carinas and seek something golden at the end of this rainbow of confusion take a look at this:

http://www.gendan.co.uk/viewproduct.php?pr...uct_information

Could this be my holy grail? An "aftermarket" sensor that is suitable for a 1.8 lean burn Carina E automatics?

Sadly, I don't think I have the guts! From what I can deduce about the other models listed with the holy grail sensor, they are very different to the lean burn type used on the Carina (even the automatic).

Besides, I am bored with all this now and I fear the yellow light on my dashboard is beginning to interfere with my brain...

Hallelujah! :D I have had my faith restored and I know believe in the Holy Grail sensor. I have ordered it.

I now believe that there is salvation for Carina E automatic drivers such as myself but you poor manual drivers remain damned with a choice between an expensive (over £200) original Toyota part or else a risky trip to the breakers.

I have learned many things during my research into the world of oxygen sensors for Toyota Carinas. For the benefit of those who will no doubt follow in my footsteps I have summarised my accumulated wisdom below.

Merry Christmas All! :hokus-pokus:

CarinaGeek

About my vehicle:

• Toyota Carina E 1.8 GS 5DR Automatic

• August 1997/R

• 7A-FE lean burn engine

• VIN: SB164ABK10E077867

• Engine No: 7A U320300

• Stock no: 239150

About the oxygen sensor for this vehicle:

• The original Toyota part no is: 89463-20080 (apparently now obsolete).

• My Toyota dealer says it should be replaced with Toyota part no: 89463-29065.

• It connects to the exhaust just below the manifold via a flange.

• The gap between stud holes on the flange is 45mm.

• It has 4 wires.

What is the problem and why the confusion?

• My Toyota dealer charges £300 for the genuine Toyota replacement part.

• As you will see from other discussions on this site, many Toyota Carinas (specifically MANUAL transmission with lean burn 1.6l 4A-FE or 1.8l 7A-FE engines) require a special super-fast heating sensor and only an expensive Toyota part (£300+ at the dealers) will do. The special sensors all have Toyota part numbers starting “89463-“.

• The confusion relates to AUTOMATIC Carina Es also with lean burn 1.6l 4A-FE or 1.8l 7A-FE engines. Many people wrongly assume that these models need the same special sensors as their manual counterparts and that there is no aftermarket alternative.

The facts and the solution:

• I am told that the replacement part recommended to me by my Toyota dealer is in fact a Lexus sensor (manufactured by Denso). It is NOT a super-fast heating Lean Burn sensor. It is a fairly standard 4 wire Zirconia sensor. Likewise the original part (89463-20080) is NOT a super-fast heating sensor.

• See the following link for an “aftermarket” alternative which is marketed as being suitable for the 1.8 automatic.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/viewproduct.php?product=LB1311

• I understand this alternative part to be manufactured by FuelParts UK.

• I have ordered this part but I have yet to receive/install it.

• If you are in doubt as to whether your Carina needs the special super-fast heating sensor or an ordinary Zirconia sensor then a good way to check is to look at the electrical connectors. Apparently, they are different. See the diagram at the above link.

Other information which may be of interest:

• I have come across various part numbers being mentioned in relation to the Toyota part required for manual Carina E’s including: 89463-29045, 89463-20060 and 89463-20070.

• I have spotted the following vendors which offer genuine Toyota parts required for manual Carina E’s at prices below my local Toyota dealer:

http://www.gendan.co.uk/

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/

http://www.lambdasensor.com/

• Make sure you check the distance between the stud holes on the flange. Apparently on some Carinas it is 55mm.

• I do not believe 1.6l 4A-FE Automatic Carina E’s need a super-fast heating Lean Burn sensor either. I think the original Toyota part number on these is 98465-20300. I believe there are several aftermarket alternatives to this part. See http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/general4.htm#toyota for an example. I have not verified this though so check carefully.

• An America web site (www.oxygensensors.com) told me that Walker part #250-54024 is a valid alternative to Toyota 89463-20080 or 89463-29065. Again, I have not been able to verify this.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news. The Holy Grail sensor did not work. :angry:

I have sent it back and got my money back.

I had the car serviced and the mechanic told me that the car was running absolutely fine with the old sensor. He thinks the fault is with the heater on the sensor only. This means there is only a problem shortly after starting. The emissions are fine apparently.

I am beginning to think only a Toyota part will do after all.

However, £300 seems a lot to make a light go out when it is running fine and it isn't an issue for the MOT.

I think I may do nothing for a while...

i would too, search the yards for a scrapper 1 day you'll get what youre after

• 2 weeks later...

My O2 sensor fault light came on last Nov. Got a 2nd hand one from the scrap, fitted, still not working. So bought a brand new one for £235. Fitted last Thursday, perfect ! O2 fault light gone forever!

• 1 month later...
My O2 sensor fault light came on last Nov. Got a 2nd hand one from the scrap, fitted, still not working. So bought a brand new one for £235. Fitted last Thursday, perfect ! O2 fault light gone forever!

I have been having all the above problems. The limiting factor appears to be a heater resistance of 1.5-2.3 ohms. Any where outside these limits and the ECU chucks up a warning light and the fuel just disappears!!

any further techno info welcomed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links