Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grey Master Key

corollags

Hey Guys,

Was just reading an ad for an AE111 SR on eBay. He says he has the grey master key for the car as well as the normal keys.

Should I have one of these for my GS and wot does it do?!

Ad

I have one for my car it's suposed to just let you into the doors and not the boot :thumbsup: But some how mine opens the boot :lol: Also I found a couple otf times if you get the steering lock stuck and cannot move it the grey key seems to be the only one that is able to get past the steering lock :help::help:

The Grey key is actually a Sub key! And the Black is the Master Key! You should get 2 Black Master Keys and 1 Grey Sub key with a Toyota made after 1996 ish!!

The Black key is the main Key you should use all the time.

The grey key has been designed so that, for example you take your car into a garage to be worked on, you only give them a grey key so that they cant code any other keys off of it!

All keys are coded into the engine immobilizer system, but you can only register extra keys off of the Black key!

So by handing your car and grey key over to a garage they cant code in any other replica keys for them to use to e.g steal your car!!

But by giving them the car and black key, they can make upto 2 other replica keys so it would be possible to go around and steal your car with no damage done!

Toyota obviously thought that there are dodgey car mechanics around that have the know how and also the balls to make copys of keys and steal cars!

I hope that makes sence i have tried to simplify it as much as possible! Any questions just ask! Oh and by the way i dont know anyone dodgey enough in the trade to do such an thing, but Toyota obviously thought of as much security as possible! :)

The Grey key is actually a Sub key! And the Black is the Master Key! You should get 2 Black Master Keys and 1 Grey Sub key with a Toyota made after 1996 ish!!

The Black key is the main Key you should use all the time.

The grey key has been designed so that, for example you take your car into a garage to be worked on, you only give them a grey key so that they cant code any other keys off of it!

All keys are coded into the engine immobilizer system, but you can only register extra keys off of the Black key!

So by handing your car and grey key over to a garage they cant code in any other replica keys for them to use to e.g steal your car!!

Where did you get that info from? I have asked toyota and they said it was so you could not get in the boot!!!! but my local toyota dealer are full of :censor:

Is it in the owners manual??

Its because i am a Toyota Technician and have been for over 5 years, and also done my apprenticeship there! :)

And here in the U.S., we got one black headed key, one metal headed key (both master keys to work all locks), and one valet key, which is a metal head that is more rounded in shape than the metal headed master key. Of course, things have changed now that we are getting more cars here with the immobilisers. Also, here, valet keys are the same cut pattern as master keys, just with a different blank. I have no locking glovebox, so the only thing the valet vs. master key is good for is the trunklid, though not at the moment because the U.S. trunk lock was rendered useless by the addition of the UK trunklid garnish/license plate holder... I'll be fixing that soon.

On a side note, about the steering wheel lock, don't know if you know this, but it's a lot easier to get it unlocked if you turn the wheel just enough that it is not against the lock.