Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy Steering

andyjosam

Hi, could anyone help me. sometimes when i am turning the steering on my x plate gls there is a loud squealing noise. what is this? is it a common thing?

Many Thanks

andy

Sounds like it could be the belt or the PAS pump itself, possibly if it's leaking fluid.

A few pumps and quite a lot of steering racks have been replaced on the old Avensis.

Hi, could anyone help me. sometimes when i am turning the steering  on my x plate gls there is a loud squealing noise. what is this?  is it a common thing?

Many Thanks

andy

get the same from time to time when i'm reversing up hill .sounds like its coming from the steering wheel.......will be ringing toyota up to sort it out(still under 12 month warranty)

Hi,

is the noise caused by the Steering Rack or the Power Steering pump, because im thinking about getting my steering rack changed, but the fault could also be the Power steering pump,.....i havetaken my car to toyota 2 times too find the fault, one time they said it was the rack and the other time it was the pump...so i dont know which one to change? :wacko:

Hi,

is the noise caused by the Steering Rack or the Power Steering pump, because im thinking about getting my steering rack changed, but the fault could also be the Power steering pump,.....i havetaken my car to toyota 2 times too find the fault, one time they said it was the rack and the other time it was the pump...so i dont know which one to change?  :wacko:

Your profile gives me the impression that you own an Avensis that is less than 3 years old. Hard to tell with the avatar of new shape and your sig which says older. Basically, if it's in warranty it's their problem - why are you contemplating one or the other?

Dave

hi,

its for my old shape avensis...its a 2002 (51 reg), i still would off had my toyota warrenty but my problem occured @ 62000 miles....& toyotas warrenty only last up to 3 years or 60000 miles(which ever comes first)....

Guys

This is a VERY common problem on avensis's. I have had three racks replaced under warranty and the problem still persists. My car is now out of warranty however the dealer is still awaiting a modified rack design to be released to try and cure the problem. It seems to only happen under load i.e. when the car is stationary. !Removed! annoying and the dealer doesn'g give a damn!!

guys...

this is a very common problem. steering rack replacements are not enough to fix this problem. the noise is re-ocurring. warranty shud have run out by now :(

i dont think there is much we can do about it. i got a 51 plate avensis. dealer says to live with it :angry:

guys...

this is a very common problem. steering rack replacements are not enough to fix this problem. the noise is re-ocurring. warranty shud have run out by now  :(

i dont think there is much we can do about it. i got a 51 plate avensis. dealer says to live with it :angry:

the same has been happening to me..took it to toyota in cardiff where some guy came to the conclusion (without looking properly) that it was something to do with the clutchplate!!!!! this would not be under the warranty taken out when i bought the car 5 months ago!!! apparently it's not a mechanical problem!!!!!!!!basically, live with it was the advice i was given.i've got a better idea. exchange the sodding thing for a car that doesn't f8ck up after 40000 miles! anybody else out there with similar crap feedback from toyota dealers???

guys...

this is a very common problem. steering rack replacements are not enough to fix this problem. the noise is re-ocurring. warranty shud have run out by now  :(

the same has been happening to me..took it to toyota in cardiff where some guy came to the conclusion (without looking properly) that it was something to do with the clutchplate!!!!! this would not be under the warranty taken out when i bought the car 5 months ago!!! apparently it's not a mechanical problem!!!!!!!!basically, live with it was the advice i was given.i've got a better idea. exchange the sodding thing for a car that doesn't f8ck up after 40000 miles! anybody else out there with similar crap feedback from toyota dealers???

yup i have same prob with my toyota dealer, when it comes to my steering they dont wanna know,

but hey im only a cabbie!! so dont listen to me

int that right pbamanley

just a few things to look out for:-

uneven tyre ware

bad steering

noisy steering (new rack but still the same)

noisy motor-vvti (with really bad flat spot at 2800rpm)

vsc probs with software on ecu (lost all steering on m62)

probs with cat (new cat at 62k £480+ fitting)

probs with lamda-oxy sensors

soft bonnet dents easy

paint chips (never known one to chip so bad)

paint scratches easy

boot leaks and rattles

wheel nuts rust

nezerr, as a taxi driver you are sure to find all the faults 10x faster than average Joe Public. I've owned my 2001 2.0 GLS VVTi for coming up to 1 year now and have nothing but admiration for it.

Having done 15,000 miles in it I've found that tyre wear has been as I expected and certainly no uneveness, the steering only makes noises after repeated heavy left/right motion whilst parking in a tight spot and no problems with rusty wheel nuts. :)

I estimate that 15% of taxis in my area are Toyota's, they can't all be wrong. You have to realise that forums about any given car make only attract people that have had problems with their motors so it gives an unfair impression on the brand as a whole.

You could always buy Vauxhall or Ford next and join the myriad of unhappy customers on various forums there. :)

nezerr, as a taxi driver you are sure to find all the faults 10x faster than average Joe Public. I've owned my 2001 2.0 GLS VVTi for coming up to 1 year now and have nothing but admiration for it.

Having done 15,000 miles in it I've found that tyre wear has been as I expected and certainly no uneveness, the steering only makes noises after repeated heavy left/right motion whilst parking in a tight spot and no problems with rusty wheel nuts. :)

I estimate that 15% of taxis in my area are Toyota's, they can't all be wrong. You have to realise that forums about any given car make only attract people that have had problems with their motors so it gives an unfair impression on the brand as a whole.

You could always buy Vauxhall or Ford next and join the myriad of unhappy customers on various forums there. :)

Couldn't agree more, I've had my 99 2.0 GLS for nearly two years now and extremely happy with it. I only have the light steering noise which started the thread off, but it has past an MOT and donesn't affect the steering, I should get round to doing the greasing solution mentioned in other threads elsewhere

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7041

but not had the time. and the only other thing I've done is have the AirCon serviced. still with same tyres from when I bought it, so no problem there.

I have had a few others makes, and by far prefer my Toyota and will not change make.

I had the same problem with my steering wheel, which I posted about three months ago. Went to the Toyota dealer in Bucharest. Took off and dismantled / greased the whole steering column. No result. They asked for hints to some Toyota regional dealer for SE Europe based in Greece. They were told to try and change the steering cassette (?). When they finally scheduled me for this, the noise just disappeared. i drove about 2500 miles since and it did not came back.

however, they told me that another D-4d owner came to complain about the same thing.

Guys

This is a VERY common problem on avensis's.  I have had three racks replaced under warranty and the problem still persists.  My car is now out of warranty however the dealer is still awaiting a modified rack design to be released to try and cure the problem.  It seems to only happen under load i.e. when the car is stationary.  !Removed! annoying and the dealer doesn'g give a damn!!

damn right about the dealer not caring a toss......they have your money and if a problem occurs on their worthless warranty, they fob you off with some lame excuse that doesn't fit.apparently a noise exactly like the one you've been experiencing is a clutch problem.but hey,you can live with that can't you says the guy from toyota.what a load of bull****.....ok so it only ocurs when parking.ie uphill etc.but if it's there i want it seen to.however it doesn't come under their warranty..if it is the rack would that come under the warranty?? if so i'll get it checked out independently and send the report to toyota and make them choke on their free coffee!!!!

Hi,

this may of been said before .......but we should all make a list of the members who have a problem with the steering rack,and is unable to be fixed by Toyota and send it into Toyota GB Head Office and tell them what a load of crap there aftercare service is!!...... :ffs:

Hi,

this may of been said before .......but we should all make a list of the members who have a problem with the steering rack,and is unable to be fixed by Toyota and send it into Toyota GB Head Office and tell them what a load of crap there aftercare service is!!...... :ffs:

damn good idea b1nda.let's get it going , plenty of voices are better than one!! i'm with you all the way!

Hi,

damn good idea b1nda.let's get it going , plenty of voices are better than one!! i'm with you all the way!

Hi,

ill start the ball rolling next week(bit busy this week)...ill make up a sheet post it on the forum as an attachment, so every one can fill it in

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, could anyone help me. sometimes when i am turning the steering  on my x plate gls there is a loud squealing noise. what is this?  is it a common thing?

Many Thanks

andy

Try greasing the diaphram where the steering column passes through the bulkhead- by the foot pedals. It solved the problem on mine and cheaper than a new column or rack.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that the steering is heavier on the TSpirit than on the 3Tx - possibly the 2.0 litre cars having low profile and bigger wheels may have something to do with it. They are certainly noisier. Anyway my car has developed a squeaky groan after 2 years. :(

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe that, in 2005, Toyota can't produce a steering rack that doesn't squeak. Mine squeaks when coming off full left lock. Car's history is as follows.

Purchased 22/02/02 - 13,779 miles

07/08/03 - Squeaky steering rack replaced under warranty - 33,200 miles

10/03/04 - Squeaky steering rack replaced under warranty - 47,905 miles

Currently waiting for a third steering rack. Current mileage is 62,700 but the rack has been squeaking since about 54,000.

Incidentally, had to have an input shaft bearing replaced at 57,000 miles.

Such a shame when I like the car so much. Fantastic fuel economy. On one occasion I drove 106 miles at 60 mph (or thereabouts) and got 52.6 mpg!!

Car is a 2001 Vermont 1.8 VVT-i

modified racks are available now to customers who dealers have submitted a report whilst the car was under warranty

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot believe that, in 2005, Toyota can't produce a steering rack that doesn't squeak. Mine squeaks when coming off full left lock. Car's history is as follows.

Purchased 22/02/02 - 13,779 miles

07/08/03 - Squeaky steering rack replaced under warranty - 33,200 miles

10/03/04 - Squeaky steering rack replaced under warranty - 47,905 miles

Currently waiting for a third steering rack. Current mileage is 62,700 but the rack has been squeaking since about 54,000.

Incidentally, had to have an input shaft bearing replaced at 57,000 miles.

Such a shame when I like the car so much. Fantastic fuel economy. On one occasion I drove 106 miles at 60 mph (or thereabouts) and got 52.6 mpg!!

Car is a 2001 Vermont 1.8 VVT-i

A friend of mine has the same problem with his 1.8 VVTI and gets his second steering rack this Friday under warrenty so is it a comen problem for the Avensis ?? We both live in the Netherlands

I noticed that the steering is heavier on the TSpirit than on the 3Tx - possibly the 2.0 litre cars having low profile and bigger wheels may have something to do with it. They are certainly noisier. Anyway my car has developed a squeaky groan after 2 years.  :(

Hi I'm new, rather a novice and about to upgrade my Corolla VVT-i to an Avensis 2 litre Wagon (as they call the estate in Finland). The spec over here is that the 2 litre and above plus the deisels have the more conventional hydraulic PAS, whereas the 1.8 and 1.6 have electronic PAS to save power. That's one of the reasons I'm going for the 2 litre, as on long hauls the steerings not so light and figety. The electronic is in many ways more pleasant in town, though. This could be why the PAS feels heavier on your 2 litre.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links