Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Corolla Wobbly Exhaust System

ganyb

Just checking things out, and noticed how very very wobbly the WHOLE exhaust system is, on my new 03 Corolla....

get under, grab the tailpipe, shake hard side to side...tell me what you see along the system...!!!

perhaps explains all the zizzy vibrations on this car....????

all exhausts wobble, they hang on rubber "hangers"

its because of the hangers that you dont get vibrations and rattles in the car

ganyb,

What model corolla do you have? Is it a 1.6VVT i or 1.4. Mine is a Tspirit 1.6 I get alot of vibrations from the engine/exhaust and inlet manifold. I am having the dealer investigate further after already having 2 replacment inlet manifolds to cure this fault. Car has now done only 2800 miles and problem seems to just get worse. Do you notice a knocking sound on cold starts while engine warms up when revs at 1550 rpm?

I would agree with you the exhaust does have alot of sideways movement, I wouldn't be suprised if all those heat shields don't vibrate.

Gaz

it's a 1.8 vvti auto, Japanese build. Yes I agree, there is a whole myriad of different noises and vibrations depending on revs and speed, completely unexpected and very unrefined for a new Toyota.

The Dealer has checked everything out, could find nothing wrong, but said (very much off the record) that " everyones complaining, but they're all the same, there's nothing we can do"

I suppose mechanically in respect of engine noise, (a seperate issue to vibrations and body noise), it is an all alloy motor with a Chain drive cam gear, set in a lightweight body with little soundproofing, so it's going to be louder than an iron block motor.

It does sound a bit "knockey" when cold, but I think it sounds more "twin-cammy" than an actual engine knock, bit like the old Ford BDA t/c engines sounded.

My real worry is how the engine screams away at 2300 initially, then settles at 1800 on warm up, very high revs, and I'm guessing very high wear rates also....

ganyb,

What is your model? Is it Tsport etc. Except for the corolla estate I thought all were built at Burneston Derby?

I agree with the high revs mine is the same. I have complained to Toyota GB about this and a lot more besides (rattles, knocking from the offside 'B' pillar when cold). Apparently the dealers have been issued with a anti rattle kits. I must ask if we can buy one.

Customer Services say that if it was an issue then more people would complain. Have you complained to Toyota GB Customer Services yet if not why not give it ago.

Please Keep me informed of any futher issues I will do the same.

Gaz

Cheers Gaz, thanks for the info. Well, I'm in Melbourne Australia, and over here it's called a Corolla Conquest, sort of upper mid range, sports seats, ABS etc. It's the #1 best selling small car in Australia, but even road test reviews are commenting how noisy it is.

I have a little mechanical knowledge (did an apprenticeship in UK with Renault in the sixties ) and I'm feeling that it's very much like an Engine mount design problem, or something very similar.

The cold start revs issue affects me, because I learned in the very early days to be gentle with a cold engine, it really does pay dividends in mechanical longevity, it just doesn't seem right, I know the Cat convertor needs to be heated quickly but 2300 stone cold is far too high I reckon.

It is really interesting that cars on different sides of the world are exhibiting the same problems, even though built out of different factories, and I'm concerned that if Toyota dont REALLY listen to these complaints, and get a proper fix for them, the dealers will just drop into a "they're all the same" mindset.

I'll complain again at the next service and see how I go.

Gaz...lifted this from www.corolland.com/repairs.html

Americans also have issues with noisy engines.

Rene wrote: "Believe it or not, there is rumoured to be a problem with the new Corolla engines. They are noisy, and there seems to be a problem with the timing belt tensioners. The vibration problem will go away, but it would appear that you will need to replace an engine mount (not enough damping) or wait for the engine mount to loosen with time, thus providing more damping and hence less vibration intrusion into the gauge pod. Only time will tell what is your next course of action.

"Advice? Do not let the mechanics open up that dash. There are too many delicate plastic clips and the like that there is a high probability they will break something."

If anyone suffers the "wobbling exhaust" problem, would it sound like a dull knocking sound coming from underneath the rear offside door/just behind the driver?.

Mine has this sound, coming from underneath and not in the cabin so I'm presuming it's the exhaust wobbling. It only happens on rough roads.

If anyone suffers the "wobbling exhaust" problem, would it sound like a dull knocking sound coming from underneath the rear offside door/just behind the driver?.

Mine has this sound, coming from underneath and not in the cabin so I'm presuming it's the exhaust wobbling. It only happens on rough roads.

Did you check this:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=ST&f=4&t=2395&

pic no.5 (plasticprotection.jpg).

Runboy

I have the same problem but it could be a faulty weld in the 'B' pillar which seperates the driver and rear door. It knocks at the base behind the drivers door at the base of the seat belt reel over rough roads. Mine seems to disappear in mild weather. When it does it, put the car on a level surface open the drivers door and stand on the drivers cill near to the pillar, bounce slightly and you hear a knock. Now lift the car very slightly under the cill under the 'B' pillar using your knee, it will knock again. I think it could be a weld issue where the cill joins the pillar or it could be a metal panel flexing and twisting slightly against another panel. I will take mine in to the dealer for study only when constantly repeatable,and once I get the inlet manifold/induction noise problem resolved they are already sick of seeing me. Do you have any other noises yet? Mine generates new ones evry week, starting to sound like an old car.

corsol-I've studied that post a lot!. It helped me with the noise from the boot area (it was the tool tray).

gaz-it seems worse when the car is yaw-ing rather than pitching in motion. That's why I thought it could be the exhaust system. But then your suggestion could also be the cause.

I now have a buzzing noise from behind the panel where the electric mirror controls are (the dealer has fixed once, where it was a creak it's now a buzz!). I have also picked up a creaking from just below the radio/top of the centre dash where the silver panel rolls over. I'm hoping a spray of silicon will solve hat one.

Along with a minor driver seat creak that's it :(

So I think a visit to the dealer is due. I wanted to wait for a few more to crop up before I went, and I think now is about right!.

Apart from that the old dear is coming along nicely. Starting to bed down, and the engine (run on Optimax of course) is starting to surprise me with the performance.

Just looking at that exhaust again, the join for the back silencer, over the back "axle" is sprung loaded with two big springs on the bolts, this seems to allow a lot of lateral movement ("wobble")...do your Euro build cars have the same springs...mine's Japanese ??