Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent Help With A Driveshaft(gt4)

iggygt4

i had to change the gaytor on my driveshaft,so i took the whole thing out to make it easy for myself..

when it was out the 6 ballbairing's and the cage thing came off so did the big knuckle thing on the end,i done the gaytor and went to put it all back together again and it took me ages to do it,i just could'nt work out what way they went in ,i got it

done then put it all back together,then fitted the hub and everything else back on the car took it out of the garage very slowley and up the lane a bit then all the balls fell out into the gaytor???????????also if you have any pics it would be great.........

can someone please tell me how to put it back together as i need to do it by tomorrow night as i am going to newcastle for newyear........

sorry mate, cant help you... try gt4oc (see my sig links)

driveshafts popping out are normaly caused by severely worn engine mounting.

plonker is all that springs to mind

which end fell apart hub end or gearbox end ???

are you talking about the ball bearing racer inside the hub end driveshaft , if its falling apart then the drive shaft end sounds pretty much knackered to me.

dont suppose you were whacking one end with a hammer to get it off were you , unknowingly destroying the other end

its the end on the gearbox side,it just all fell out when i took it off????????

i am sure we have had it appart before when we done the clutch,but it seems realy hard to get together now

cheers ivan...........

i had to change the gaytor on my driveshaft,so i took the whole thing out to make it easy for myself..

when it was out the 6 ballbairing's and the cage thing came off so did the big knuckle thing on the end,i done the gaytor and went to put it all back together again and it took me ages to do it,i just could'nt work out what way they went in ,i got it

done then put it all back together,then fitted the hub and everything else back on the car took it out of the garage very slowley and up the lane a bit then all the balls fell out into the gaytor???????????also if you have any pics it would be great.........

can someone please tell me how to put it back together as i need to do it by tomorrow night as i am going to newcastle for newyear........

You may find that the cage only fits one way round, if you can't get the balls back in ,take the Knuckle off the shaft and turn it almost sideways in the cage and add the ball bearing back in, you may find you need to add all the ball bearing back in at the same time, then twist the cage back straight.

also make sure the knuckle goes back on the same way round , it came off, good luck,

Bob.

)

well still cant get the thing in the right way,i can get the whole thing back together and in the knucle but there is no movement in it,so when i put it back on the car it sits to high to get the suspention on,so i have took the other side off to look at,and that side slides up and down very freeley on the knucle so there must only be 1 way it all goes togethre i am gonna do the rest tomorrow,

cheers for the help i will post up some pics if i ever get it sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!

well still cant get the thing in the right way,i can get the whole thing back together and in the knucle but there is no movement in it,so when i put it back on the car it sits to high to get the suspention on,so i have took the other side off to look at,and that side slides up and down very freeley on the knucle so there must only be 1 way it all goes togethre i am gonna do the rest tomorrow,

cheers for the help i will post up some pics if i ever get it sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if you left the knuckle on the shaft, the only part that can be the wrong way round is the cage....good luck.

PS.... well that or you've damaged the C/V joint :crybaby:

having looked at pics of the drive shaft , looks like there is a clip that holds it all in place to me.

there are 2 types of roller bearing , 1 is a cloverleaf shape with 3 racer bearings on its outer , 1 is a round racer with about 8 bearings sitting in its outer

which one is yours ????

wooooooooo hooooooooooooo

all done what a pig....

the thing does go together but it is a nightmare,it was easyer when i had the other one to look at,they do go in but you have to put 1 in then move it round ect ect....

all done now,next job is the other side wheel baiering,i hope it's not as bad as that..

cheers for all the help........

wooooooooo hooooooooooooo

all done what a pig....

the thing does go together but it is a nightmare,it was easyer when i had the other one to look at,they do go in but you have to put 1 in then move it round ect ect....

all done now,next job is the other side wheel baiering,i hope it's not as bad as that..

cheers for all the help........

Thats goods news....so your now a driveshaft expert :rolleyes: :)

no i forgot everything................

it was a nightmare,having to take the other side off to see how it went together.......