Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Bulbs

GT4 BOOSTER

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sotal

• GT4 BOOSTER

• daktari

• andrewl41

Have you tried them? I need something better but not too expensive as the headlights aren't great on the gen 6. Once you stick full beam on they are excellent, but on dipped they seem worse than many cars.

If anyone can recommend any (at a decent price) that they've actually tried - I would be interested to know the results

this is an email i just recieved today

The best bulbs you could buy are the PIAA Platinum White bulbs

A high-performance range of bulbs which produce an intense white light up to 40% brighter than conventional units of the same wattage.

Compatible with the manufacturer's original wiring and fitments, enabling straight forward installation,

100% Road Legal & E-Marked for European road use

9006 £77.99 A PAIR :lol::lol:

9005 £77.99 A PAIR :lol::lol:

The side light bulb is a 501 capless which is also in the same section

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/PIAA_.html

then he emails me with these after i say no thanks.

Ice Blue Bulbs 9005/9006

Finally available...Ice Blue 9005 and 9006 Often used on US and Import cars. 9005 is 60 watt bulb and the 9006 is 51 watt.

Finished with a blue "Ion" coating which gives these bulbs a brighter whiter light. Prices are EACH...but we do recommend fitting them in pairs.

This bulb can also be catalogued as HB3 and HB4.

Speeding price only £10.00 Each

HARD TO FIND IN SHOPS

sotal i got some from eBay last night at £ 9-99 a pair , they should come this week i will report back with my findings , i ordered 3900k ice blues

eBay listing 7945367898

Thanks for the info maleborn,

I looked at some of those on eBay but just wasn't sure enough. I got some philips ice blue for a previous car and they weren't bad, but they weren't "that" much better than the originals. They also get confusing being called ice blue - when they give off white light - (having said that I don't really want ones that give off a blue tint!)

Those ones at £80 a pair are a joke! It would be nice to see if they actually made any difference :D

But yeah let me know how well those ones from eBay work - did you notice that the standard bulbs are a bit crappy?? I did start to wonder if they just need adjusting?

This could be your answer. Deep breath. When i got my mazda which has identical stanley headlights to the celica i noticed the headlights were much brighter than the celicas.. Ahh. Thinks i. I`ll swap bulbs.... Swap done no diference. The mazdas were still brighter. Couple of seconds thinking and it`s out with the multimeter. Turns out the mazda has 13.7 volts at the headlight compared to the celicas 11.4 volts.

Going to try putting a couple of relays in to see if that makes a diference. Or it could be an alty problem though voltage elsewhere all checks out at 13+ volts.

Any other ideas anyone? :wacko:

I'll get the Multimeter out next time I'm doing something under the bonnet (too cold and dark to just do it anyway!!) and I'll check the voltage at the headlights on the gen 6

So are you going to try a relay with a direct feed from the Battery, with a 12V switch using the old supply as the feed?

Seems strange though :blink:

what's the voltage at say 3000 rpm though ????

Should it make any difference at 3000rpm??

I wouldn't have thought so because they are regulated, otherwise when you slowed down the lights would dim like old motorcycles do.

Maybe they have an overactive regulator??

It may be a problem you get if you put a direct feed through a relay to the lights though

most alternators kick out 14.4 volts when at load , as opposed to 12v at tick over. a sure way to test your Battery is charging was to look at your lights get brighter when you rev the engine , as my car does and all my other cars have done. :thumbsup:

hmm, I'll try it tonight - I guess it must be less noticeable than old motorbikes as they can really dip down - I remember when I had a CG 125, you had to rev that when you were stopped at junctions to keep the lights brights.

I would have thought you would notice it at traffic lights - as cars oppossite set off shouldn't there lights get brighter??

BTW: I'm not trying to argue - just trying to learn!! :D

:group-cuddles: try it tonight against a brick wall.

do bikes have alternators , i heard they have dynamos and when standing still use Battery power to light the lights ????

I notice a very marked dip in headlight brightness at idle which picks up when the engine is reved (on my Gen 6). Far more noticeable than any other car I have owned.

:group-cuddles:  try it tonight against a brick wall.

do bikes have alternators , i heard they have dynamos and when standing still use battery power to light the lights ????

Trust me they have alternators. Mine cost £300 quid to replace on the Criple. :( Although on older jap bikes like the CG i think they may have been a dynamo of sorts. Working direct off the c/shaft. :thumbsup:

I'll get the Multimeter out next time I'm doing something under the bonnet (too cold and dark to just do it anyway!!) and I'll check the voltage at the headlights on the gen 6

So are you going to try a relay with a direct feed from the battery, with a 12V switch using the old supply as the feed?

Seems strange though  :blink:

That would`ve been the idea. But i`ve just realised. being a 91 car i should have dim/dip. It`s either been changed or disabled in some way, so now i`m going to look into that 1st. Might be related. :unsure:

This could be your answer. Deep breath. When i got my mazda which has identical stanley headlights to the celica i noticed the headlights were much brighter than the celicas.. Ahh. Thinks i. I`ll swap bulbs.... Swap done no diference. The mazdas were still brighter. Couple of seconds thinking and it`s out with the multimeter. Turns out the mazda has 13.7 volts at the headlight compared to the celicas 11.4 volts.

Going to try putting a couple of relays in to see if that makes a diference. Or it could be an alty problem though voltage elsewhere all checks out at 13+ volts.

Any other ideas anyone?  :wacko:

Sorry. Should`ve said that was under load. 2.5 - 3k revs. :thumbsup:

appology accepted - these are the ones i just ordered ?? at £ 9- 99 a pair maybe !Removed! maybe good , have to wait and see , always come in handy as spares as and when needed.

HB4 9006 12V 55W xenon XTREME WHITE HEADLAMPS

SOLD IN PAIRS

** Improved Driving Performance **

** 100% Brighter Than Normal Halogen bulbs **

** Increased Colour from 1900K Halogen to 3900K xenon **

** E-Marked **

** UK Road Legal **

:group-cuddles:  try it tonight against a brick wall.

do bikes have alternators , i heard they have dynamos and when standing still use battery power to light the lights ????

Trust me they have alternators. Mine cost £300 quid to replace on the Criple. :( Although on older jap bikes like the CG i think they may have been a dynamo of sorts. Working direct off the c/shaft. :thumbsup:

Not sure on the CG as I never had it long enough to do a rebuild on it, but generally they have a magneto flywheel which supplies power to the lights, the coil and the charging circuit at the same time. They tend to dip when you let the revs off. I'm just rebuilding a DT175 - anybody got any tips for removing seized piston rings?? I've got new ones but the old ones are stuck fast!!

I think the newer bikes have a similar system my Thundercat has a magneto flywheel but it's a bit more complicated with a cdi and a much better regulator rectifier.

Maleborn - I tried the revs this morning when it was just starting to get light - I've got to admit I couldn't notice any significant change, but I was a bit sleepy!! :D

ok guys fitted em today, waiting untill i go to work at 6 for nightshift :crybaby: to see what they like , first impressions they look alot whiter.. i got a set for the vitara also h4 12v 60/55 watts 3900 k - so can expect to be flashed no doubt :lol:

celica ones are 12v hb4 9600 85watts 3900k , didnt bother getting main beams cos they are bright enough, they fit straight in and the 3 plastic collars are identical to the toyota ones.

They sound good maleborn :thumbsup: - let me know how they work out on the road, if they are decent I will buy a set off eBay. I agree though that it's not worth getting the main beams.

Was the auction a buy it now, or a bid type auction?? Also was it a seller who puts them on all the time? if it was the latter can you let me know the seller id or something.

Cheers matey :thumbsup:

Seller information

xenonhid ( 635)

buy it now £ 8 - 99 , pnp was £ 1

cheers mate,

think I've found them, but they are 55W you first said they were 55w then later said they were 85W - is that just a typo??

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links