Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3s-gte

Sleepless

hey all, I was wondering if anyone had tried putting the jap spec celica engine 3s-gte in a paseo before? Sounds decent, 2L turbo producing 255 horses to start with and it only gets bigger. The front cut I could buy includes the transmission, ecu, engine and mounts for a paseo but I was wondering about the AWD conversion, what do they have to do? roughly how much does it cost(if you know). The other options were rebuilding the 5e-fe completely with low compression allowing a big turbo to be slapped on, putting in a 20b rotary(which apparently fits if you can spend the phenomenal amount for RWD conversion) or a lancer evo engine which is already FWD and has some zing to it. If you guys have any ideas that aren't that 1.3L turbo starlet engine or the 4A-GZE I'd love to hear it. Nothing against those engines just a few complications come with the 4a and I'd prefer something with more potential than the 4e as it's limited when you're prepared to throw more money at it. Thanks guys

Not sure about the technicalities of the celica AWD + engine swap into the seo, but its something that has been on my mind, whether its possible etc...

I'd be very interested to find out. I know of a V8 swap thats been done, if you're looking for something different to a 4A-GZE etc :)

Dave!

i know its been done in starlets before, and only recently has a guy on the gt site put one in a tercel. pretty mad eh!

the conversion should be possible but without the 4WD option as this would be very involved including custom fuel tank, prop shaft, floor pan mods and severe rear subframe mods.

go for the swap with an mr2 turbo Box And keep it Front wheel drive.

this conversion is getting too popular, still better to set trends than follow. lol :)

hey all, I was wondering if anyone had tried putting the jap spec celica engine 3s-gte in a paseo before? Sounds decent, 2L turbo producing 255 horses to start with and it only gets bigger. The front cut I could buy includes the transmission, ecu, engine and mounts for a paseo but I was wondering about the AWD conversion, what do they have to do? roughly how much does it cost(if you know). The other options were rebuilding the 5e-fe completely with low compression allowing a big turbo to be slapped on, putting in a 20b rotary(which apparently fits if you can spend the phenomenal amount for RWD conversion) or a lancer evo engine which is already FWD and has some zing to it. If you guys have any ideas that aren't that 1.3L turbo starlet engine or the 4A-GZE I'd love to hear it. Nothing against those engines just a few complications come with the 4a and I'd prefer something with more potential than the 4e as it's limited when you're prepared to throw more money at it. Thanks guys

the 3sgte swaps been done a few times in america, but none with the awd conversion.

as far as i know, as has been said already in the board, it would take a hella lot of money to create; they did a rwd conversion to one in america, and they had to cut up the whole rear floorpan and bulkhead

Not sure about the technicalities of the celica AWD + engine swap into the seo, but its something that has been on my mind, whether its possible etc...

I'd be very interested to find out. I know of a V8 swap thats been done, if you're looking for something different to a 4A-GZE etc :)

Dave!

a v8 in a paseo? when where how ?!

woah... v8 in a feather weight car... sounds like a coffin on wheels haha

All the information I can find on the 3s-gte all says it's AWD.. so I'd be guessing it's not an east-west engine.. wondering how you would keep that at FWD

(I don't know much about engines, transmissions and drive trains as you can tell)

if you have the email or some alternative method of contatcing someone who has done this before would you mind passing it to me or askign them if they could talk to me, would be greatly appreciated

Dave!

a v8 in a paseo? when where how ?!

Saw it on an american site a while back, ill try and dig it out again...

sounds like a coffin on wheels

Isn't that soapbox racing? lol :lol:

I've always wanted to drop a GT4 engine in the Glanza....that would really be a beast! Might really look into it one day when I have LOADSA money!

Huge Expense. Lots of worries.

Starlet Turbo engine makes a HUGE difference in a Sera, and I'd guess a Paseo would be greater as the standard engine is more feeble than the standard Sera, and the weights are similar.

A heavier engine would upset the handling and braking characteristics.

Andrew

Ive done the 4efte swap and it is very quick. i had a quote to fit a 3sgte engine and it around the £5500 and that was just to fit it. not really worth it when a paseo is only worth £4000 may aswell just get a celica gt4 with the engine in it already!

Labour cost for a 3S conversion in a FWD car would be around £2500 And £3500 depending on what else you wanted doing

dawesy,how fast is the accelaration in your corolla.i mean would it scare

passengers? im gonna have that conversion done quite soon :thumbsup:

I got a quote that all up this shop could do it for AU$4800 (just under 2000 UK pounds) which is the entire front cut 3s-gte(includes celica gts tranny, ecu, wiring harness), putting it in and an engineer's certificate. The guy said he had a boost reinforcement kit for the paseo(brakes, axles, etc) that he'd throw in because a guy ordered and paid for it then never claimed it.. seeing as it's been 2 years.

The conditions.. let him keep what I don't need, which is fine because I don't know what I'm going to do with the 5e-fe aside from take it to the tip anyway.. it has +228,000 km's on it

erm well i took a guy out in it a few months back and all i can say is it was the quietest and whitest ive ever seen any one. boost comes in at 3000 rpm with a bit of a pull then at 4000 rpm its like lenox lewis on speed thats when the 313.7 pounds of torque throw you into the seat. its best felt in third (dry roads permiting) by the way thats 1.7bar boost and 350bhp (may be more soon looking for sponsers to fund my new turbo, should take be to 450bhp+ and who knows how much torque

1.7 bar That must get pretty hot :eek:

With a bigger Turbo the torque will drop but hey 450bhp kind of makes up for it. :thumbsup:

An AWD corolla sounds like a fun project though B)

erm well i took a guy out in it a few months back and all i can say is it was the quietest and whitest ive ever seen any one. boost comes in at 3000 rpm with a bit of a pull then at 4000 rpm its like lenox lewis on speed thats when the 313.7 pounds of torque throw you into the seat. its best felt in third (dry roads permiting) by the way thats 1.7bar boost and 350bhp (may be more soon looking for sponsers to fund my new turbo, should take be to 450bhp+ and who knows how much torque

god bless those front tyres

on yoko a539s at the mo, seem to be fairing quite well. had a set of Pirelli pzero nero and the fronts only lasted 4000 miles at about 130 quid a pop i wasnt pleased.

but back on topic, it may cost a lot to do but in my opinion the 3S conversion is one of the best, even if the lump is heavier than others it doesnt really affect handling as long as you do the package ie suspension and definatly brakes. the only thing to watch is where the boost comes in when taking bends

wimp hes only used a rev 2 lump :) having said that the car weighs 3/4 of sod all.

wonder how much the intercooler/ radiator combo cost to have made????

dawsey ur motor must be like ---- off a stick , you have a 3sgte running front wheel drive on a corolla ??? must be alot of mr2 in there 2 i'd imagine ???

even so owning a gt4 i recon ur's must be like a jet fighter , cos my the 3sgte engine knocks out some bhp . :thumbsup:

hats off to ya mate. :thumbsup:

only MR2 bit is the gear box the rest is corolla and ST-205 celica GTFour.

next time your in the mids give us a shout and i'll take you out for a blast

• 1 month later...

well I've had the swap done, goes nice, I had the block acid washed, head port and polished, regrinded the cams... but now there's something beastier available... a friend of mine ordered a 3rd gen 3s-gte (I have a 1st gen). I'm actually considering just selling my paseo to him and buying a 94 celica and throwing his 3rd gen in that... what do you think?

I hate that I'm not going to have something different around here as paseos are scarce and celicas are pretty common. The guy who did my engine swap said he could put the 3rd gen in.. but the engine bay would need more cutting and it'd probably end up too weak. Last thing I want is to take the car out and have the front end just cave in.