Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Camry 4cyl High Idle On Cold Start

bitman48

I just purchased a new 2003 Camry with the 4 cylinder engine. I really love it. The only thing that concerns me is in the morning when I first start the car, the engine imediately revs to 2500 rpm then slowly returns to a more normal cold idle. The guy at the service dept. says this is normal, but I'm worried that this is hard on the engine. I've never experienced this before, but this is my first Toyota. Can anyone calm my fears on this?

Thanks, Jim

My 1995 Camry XLE 6 starts cold and jumps to 1900rpm then returnes to 1200rpm in about 3 minutes. where I feel it's safe to shift from park to reverse. It will eventually idle at 750rpm when warm.

Your cars idle speed of 2500 is definitely not normal.

Toyota trys to say my cars idle is somewhat above normal.

Ask toyota where 2500rpm is specified as normal.

I asked to start a new camry 6 on the lot that was not started over night and was cold.

It started and went up to a max of 1400rpm and returned to 1100 to 1200rpm in about 15 second.

The outside temperature was 70F. This is normal.

Toyota checked my car and did not find codes, they cleaned the IAC. The thermostat operates correctly.

They don't know the problem.

It could be a water temperature sensor but mine checks OK

They want to test it again but won't suggest all possible causes for the fast idle.

The car runs perfect otherwise.

Gene

Be sure to get the details when they find the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I can't calm your fears - they are real. I have a 2002 Toyota Camry with 4-cylinder engine. When you first start it at outside temperature of 65 degrees, it jumps initially to 2000 RPM, then within 5-7 seconds it gradually drops to 1200 RPM, where it stays until the engine is at normal operating temperature. At this point it is idling at about 650 RPM.

I consider my engine normal. Your car definitely has a problem. If your dealer cannot find it, they should be able to ask Toyota for help.

Several sensors or computer may be responsible for your situation. By the way, I have a full set of service manuals for my car and will be glad to help you in any way I can. Our cars have only minor, mostly cosmetic differences.

Mike

mikey553@netzero.net

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links