Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 7a-fe Engine

Wombleman

Here's something which I'm sure an expert on the TOC can solve (only a query) recently I've had a new water pump fitted to my 1.6 1996 Carina e CD (see other threads). When researching the part I got confused with the engine numbering as I believe the 1.6 lean-burn engines are '4A-FE' and the 1.8's '7A-FE' which have changes for the extra capacity. Anyway when I ordered the part I quoted the '4A-FE' engine but got a shock on opening the bonnet to find '7A-FE' stamped on it.

Anyway the part fitted, presumably because

a) The guys at nipponautomotive know their stuff or

B) The water pump and many other part are presumably shared

Any clues? V5 form says 1587 cc.

Definatley a lot of parts are shared between the 7afe and the 4afe.

But as far as i know, 4afe is a 1.6 and the 7afe is the 1.8... :!Removed!:

There is a difference in piping thats is noticable under the bonnet.

The vin plate under the bonnet is the most reliable source of info, more so than the v5 i'd say. Unless the cars had an engine swap? Then nothings relibale,

thanks

spacefaceuk

Oh that's interesting

The V5 says:--

Engine

4AUxxxxxx

I'll check the actual in the daylight tomorrow. I must say I was surprised as all the research I'd done suggests the 7A-FE is 1.8 (though my mpg is around 41-43 mpg)

The car only cost £800 so I don't mind posting the numbers. Thanks again, watch this space.

Checked this morning and the VIN stamps and plates check out.

Where's the engine number stamped - I can't see it anywhere.

:wacko:

1.6 is definitely the 4afe, and 1.8 the 7afe.

As its been said, they share parts due to the fact they are leanburn engines. Not sure where on those engines where the stamp is, but I remember someone saying its on the belt housing :)

Your find the engine number ( looking at engine from front, with bonnet open ), look were the engine bolts to the gearbox, halfway down the side of the engine block is a flat area with the number stamped on it :) .

Wombleman ,its not a good idea to show you chassis number on the internet , just incase it gets copied :( :( .

:) Thanks I'll have a good look down there later.

Thanks for the note about the chassis no (and engine no!) - it was a bit late at night and seemed a good idea at the time! :eek::eek:

OK found the flat area near the gearbox and thought I could see the number but in daylight it turned out to be crusty corrosion. Hmm. Is it possible to just change the upper parts of the engine?

Here is what the 7A-FE engine looks like from my 1.8ST Celica

bay1.jpg

If it has 7A-FE printed on it like that then you have atleast that part from a 1.8!

Yes it looks a lot like that with a big "7A-FE"! On the distributor cap the part number starts "4A-FE" (exhaust manifold is a good bit different on the Carina but the family resemblance is there).

I'll see if I can conjure up a picture (note : my engine is not as clean!!!!) :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you've got a transplanted engine or someone has plonked a 7A-Fe rocker cover on your 4A-Fe engine. Either way you're ok. If you've got the 1.8, keep quiet and remove the 7A -FE sticker. That way your insurers will not find out. If you've got the 1.6, looks good as a 1.8! Haha ...LOL :D

Look at the the model code. If it says AT190, it originally came with a 1.6 4A-FE. If it says AT191, it originally came with the 1.8 7A-FE. These numbers are common to all Carina Es with these engines, so no worries about giving them out over the internet... just not the sequential numbers that come after it. Either way, you've got a bulletproof, economical engine. My '93 AE102 Corolla has a 1.8 7A-FE (not Lean Burn), now at 150,000 miles and feels ready for another 150,000. Just need to replace those pesky engine mounts to get rid of the awful buzzing and vibration!

Oh, and if you do remove the 7A-FE sticker, send it my way! :D We didn't get anything to distinguish between the two engines, save for the taller block height of the 7A-FE, but it takes a really trained eye to tell the difference (not even mine is that well trained!). :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Red - model number is AT 190. It looks so original (i.e. grime levels!) that I'm starting to think it's just the rocker cover.

Sotal - looking at your engine picture my engine has a "16 VALVE" sticker on the blank area on the rocker cover top (sort of wooo! go faster stripe effect).

Lean burn engines basically weaken the petrol/air mixture when the accelerator pedal is not pushed down hard to save fuel, thus by driving with the revs high-ish and the foot off the gas really good economy can be achieved. I've looked this up and apparently this system is not compatible with standard catalytic converters, plus you need those platinum-tipped spark plugs to ignite the weaker mixture (and have a more expensive O2 sensor with a heater on it by the looks of other threads).

Shame I can't find the actual engine number.

I think it's even forgiven me for overheating it over Christmas too :D :D

• Like 1

To tell if you've got the lean burn, check the fuel injectors. if they are in the inlet manifold, you have a conventional engine. If they are in the cylinder head (lean burn) you should notice an extra alloy manifold between the head and the inlet manifold. This houses the 8 ports, 4 of which hold small butterfly valves to reduce the air intake to create a lean burn mixture. Governed with a sensor that also reduces the fuel intake.

Thanks for the Beardie, I'm not brilliant with what's what under the bonnet, can you tell from the picture I posted above if mine is a lean burn or not??

Also do you have any ideas what gives the celica the extra power from the same engine? Is it just mapped differently in the ECU?

I think the Carina has approx 105bhp as standard with the 7AFE, and the Celica has 118bhp with the same engine???

The Celica also seems a lot more responsive and feels to be accelerating a hell of a lot quicker than the carina. (I had a couple of days in Carina E as a courtesy car - which had done less miles than my Celica)

Any ideas on the differences???? :thumbsup:

hmmm, well I just tried doing a search on google for:

celica 1.8st lean burn

and only got one result from the whole world and that was this page :lol:

We're Famous :group-cuddles:

Doubt the celica will be a lean burn, kinda defeats the point :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

From the pic looks like a conventional engine. Yopur injectors are clearly visible sitting on your inlet manifold. The same engine in an avensis would have the lean burn manifold and head.

right lets settel the myth the 4af is indeed a 1.6 and the 7af is a 1.8 the e how ever just stands for euro but the 7af and the 4af are entierly different as i have a carin11 with 4af not e and it is totaly different yes i know my car is older to that of the e version but the difrence is that one has a direct drive to the cam and the other dont and the 4af is a dohc and the 7af is not. but some parts are common like ingnition cap and rotor even the dizzy it self but surfice to say they are not the same.

Stefan

Both 4afe and 7afe came with either Distributor or Coil packs, depending on which car they were fitted to. Yr 4af is cos it's a carb model and not Injected. Both are twin cam.

• 2 years later...
From the pic looks like a conventional engine. Yopur injectors are clearly visible sitting on your inlet manifold. The same engine in an avensis would have the lean burn manifold and head.

Hi Everyone, does anyone here have a better picture of a 4AFE 1600 built in England, i have transplanted mine into a Starlet EP70 that i rally with here in Barbados and i am having some trouble with were some of the vacuums hoses go and starting the engine is a bit tricky, it will start and idle but if i try to rev it it sounds like its working on 3 cylinders and other times it starts and idles and reves and drives ok for about 2 mins than back to square one....anyone's help would be greatly appericated, i will try and add a picture here on monday so you can see how i set it up, and the only mods i have done to the engine is lighten flywheel from 18.5 lbs to 12lbs and 40 thou off the head and port and polish and matched ported the intake and exhaust manifolds with a 4 into 1 extractor 2 1/2 inch pipe. thats about it. Manual 6 speed 20 valve 2way helical LSD gearbox and 4agze drive shafts hubs and 13 inch willwood 6 pot calipers to the front and 10 inch 4 pot at the rear all stainless steel hose every where....

Hi Bajanrallyman,

I took some pictures of the engine, I hope they will help you to locate the vacuumhoses.

DSC00063.jpg

DSC000671.jpg

DSC000591.jpg

DSC000581.jpg

Hey Balikbayan thanks for your pic and the help here are some of my pic, they arent very good, i only used my Nokia 6230 camera phone but you can see everything ok.Visit My Website

Let me know what you think and i can explain the problems i am having.