Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 Vvt-i Mileage & The `engine Issue`

tubaman

Having owned my first Toyota (2.5 yr old Avensis 1.8 VVT-i SR) for a few months, I`d like to report a few observations re it`s MPG & the known engine issue on some motors:- (car has done 26K miles)

Motorway Run - Fully laden 40MPG speeds circa 65-75 MPH

Around Town - Driver only (Av speed circa 20 MPH) 33 MPG

Checked the oil level carefully, having found many posts re this engine AFTER I had bought the car from local main deal, it has used next to no oil in the past 1000 miles.

Re the mileage: Can I compare my results with some of yours for this model/engine ?

Re the engine: I`m PRESUMING that most of these engines do not have the fault ?

Comments ?

Having owned my first Toyota (2.5 yr old Avensis 1.8 VVT-i SR) for a few months, I`d like to report a few observations re it`s MPG & the known engine issue on some motors:- (car has done 26K miles)

Motorway Run - Fully laden  40MPG speeds circa 65-75 MPH

Around Town -  Driver only (Av speed circa 20 MPH)  33 MPG

Checked the oil level carefully, having found many posts re this engine AFTER I had bought the car from local main deal, it has used next to no oil in the past 1000 miles.

Re the mileage:  Can I compare my results with some of yours for this model/engine ?

Re the engine:  I`m PRESUMING that most of these engines do not have the fault ?

Comments ?

I know a chap who has a fleet of Avensis and has had quite a few problems, mine has it's fare share too but mine is based on the old pre-VVTi 2.0 which is probably the best unit of the lot for all round longetivity and smoothness, but eitherway the fuel economy appears similar in mine to yours, less than 10% in it really and mines a 2.0 auto.

I would say as regards this oil burning issue, 95% all probably ok, 4% burn very minor amounts to the point of nothing much to worry about and 1% probably need new engines.

• 2 months later...

My 2001 Avensis Vermont 1.8 VVT-i has done 49,000 miles in my ownership during which time it has averaged just under 39 mpg. Total mileage is now 62,700.

Topped up the oil earlier today with 300 ml which was the first top up since its 60,000 service 2,750 miles ago.

Hi All,

I`ve got a 2001 Nov 1.8 VVTI and nearly done 39,000 miles. Since last service have put in a litre of oil and I have noticed the oil level is dropping again-about 5mm down from 'full mark' on dip stick(gets serviced every 10,000). In my book the engine shouldnt be 'Burning oil' especially for the mileage etc! garage say its within tolerances-but how much tolerance can you give an engine this age and mileage???? Do they expect owners to constantly be topping-up their cars with oil-perhaps Toyota should offer a free Barrel of oil with every service??? I`m not happy with the situation and quite frankly if I was told there was a chance it could get much worse I`d flog the car and get something else!! Its a shame because I like the car! :crybaby:

***Does anyone here know the engine numbers with regards to the engines Toyota have on their BLACK LIST!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Having just chopped my Corolla GXi in for a Avensis Vermont 1.8 vvti is there a problem with these engines then or are there just a few with niggles, my other Toyotas all Hiaces usually start to use a litre approx. 500miles prior to a service up to that point they use hardly any. Are there any other faults I should have taken into account. CW

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

I`ve got a 2001 Nov 1.8 VVTI and nearly done 39,000 miles. Since last service have put in a litre of oil and I have noticed the oil level is dropping again-about 5mm down from 'full mark' on dip stick(gets serviced every 10,000). In my book the engine shouldnt be 'Burning oil' especially for the mileage etc! garage say its within tolerances-but how much tolerance can you give an engine this age and mileage???? Do they expect owners to constantly be topping-up their cars with oil-perhaps Toyota should offer a free Barrel of oil with every service??? I`m not happy with the situation and quite frankly if I was told there was a chance it could get much worse I`d flog the car and get something else!! Its a shame because I like the car! :crybaby:

***Does anyone here know the engine numbers with regards to the engines Toyota have on their BLACK LIST!!!

Well, it should use NO oil, so that's fine.

With my 2004 1.6 VVTi, I get about 6.3 liters per 100 KM, if I am

careful at driving at 90 km/h.

-turgut

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links