Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flooded Engine

mark.wallace@mawallace1.d

I had to call RAC out recently - it appears that I flodded my engine by moving the car from one side of my driveway to the other. what surpirsed me was:-

(i) I had to call RAC chap out. All my efforts resulted in nothing!

(ii) He said "It's common in modern cars"!

Any one else had such a problem?

PS My car also went into bodyshop since a recent accident. I was supplied with a Yaris which i found was full of plastic, was slow, and was difficult to drive in wind due to being eaisly rocked! I'll keep with my Avensis!

erm.yes its common, an all cars, you have to allow the fuel to be burnt off............

as for yaris, suppose thats why you chose the Avensis

Yes very common, Nissan's were particularly prone to it at one point.

It's basically because each time you try and crank the engine a load of fuel is injected so if there is any unburnt fuel already in there then it causes it to flood, and each time you retry cranking it makes it worse, the easiest way to get it to start if this happens is to keep it cranking with your foot on the accelerator and eventually it will fire, if you stop cranking and then retry it will just make it worse.

Yes very common, Nissan's were particularly prone to it at one point.

It's basically because each time you try and crank the engine a load of fuel is injected so if there is any unburnt fuel already in there then it causes it to flood, and each time you retry cranking it makes it worse, the easiest way to get it to start if this happens is to keep it cranking with your foot on the accelerator and eventually it will fire, if you stop cranking and then retry it will just make it worse.

Interesting to see we still use very old and tried/tested methods of clearing a flooded engine - used to do this back in 70`s on old carburettor cars.