Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Time!

Funkadelic

MOT time soon, so I've had to bung the !Removed! cat in.

Took the best part of the whole afternoon due to dry, rusty bolts and that !Removed! irritating flange ( :o ) but it all came together in the end.

The pulse tuning effect must be working as the car actually feels like torque is more evenly distributed across the rev range now, so that's possibly a case for keeping your cat in place if you have a N/A engine.

BUT, despite this, the cat is sapping a hell of alot of power, so whilst acceleration is alot smoother it's also alot slower than before... Which sucks.

And it sounds like absolute ****! Really flat, and really dull, whereas before it sounded positively frightening, and where it used to crackle and pop loud enough to make people jump, it now hisses and occaisionally drops the odd squeaky !Removed!.

I don't care about global warming - I'm gonna start to hate my car if I have to drive it like this for too long.

Tell me more about removing the cat on an NA...

what happens to the torque, power? how much louder does it sound? any flames?

:unsure:

I'm putting standard exhaust back on mine tomorrow as i've sold the straight thru one.

I'll probably gut the cat before i re fit it but to be honest,

i didnt notice a big difference in the torque when i first fitted the

straight thru one

Fizz, it's a '94 car so I just missed out on skipping the emissions testing.

Dale, there are no visible flames (for one thing the exhaust doesn't get hot enough for that, being N/A) but it pops and bangs like a good'un.

The engine's ability to breathe more freely means that there is a noticable increase in top-end power, but bottom end torque suffers a fair bit due to the fact that there is no longer any back pressure/pulse tuning going on.

The engine becomes almost V-Tec like to an extent. It's nowhere near as "jeckyl and hyde" as a proper V-Tec system but the kick at just over 5000rpm is more pronounced and acceleration between 4000-7000rpm is fairly significantly increased, so the slight loss of bottom end power is probably something you'll be able to live with.

My car isn't really much quiter than it was when I had just a straight-through pipe, but the exhaust note itself is nowhere near as three dimensional as before - It's gone from being a menacing rumbler at idle and an absolute screamer at high revs, to a flat, characterless drone... It's very annoying!

There is now talk of me getting a new car as a result of the cat' going back in, so my advice would be; gut it!

funky...

being an NA it is poss to get, ickle flames out of the exhaust as I found out...

Mine was running rich with a mongoose and no Cat, HKS induction and according to scott (old member who sort of disappeared from view) I regularly got ickle flames out the back on a hard run :D :D :D

im defo gonna gutt mine... well.. im gonna get my mate to do it.. :P

I've a tutorial.. but where eactly can the cat be found? is it visable from below? or is a it a git to get to?

You can't miss the cat - It's a section of pipe about 30cm long in the middle of the system, held in place by four bolts.

The top bolts are an absolute !Removed! to get to though and chances are the bolts will be rusted to buggery, and very, very dry!

Rhaines, you're probably right - I've been following a lotus Elise that was flaming a bit once.

I think mine's running rich too, but I don't get flames. It's probably to do with the diameter of my pipes though! (The car came with 5" slash cut pipes, hence why it's so loud)!

You can't miss the cat - It's a section of pipe about 30cm long in the middle of the system, held in place by four bolts.

Thats only on n/a's mate, The cat is in the down pipe on turbo cars

(Fizz)

If you are right under the car you should be able to see it.

You need to unbolt the exhaust from the turbo to get to it....

I like Integra's but my next car will have tubby power...Driven Jims car a few times and i'm getting addicted to boosting!!

I like Integra's but my next car will have tubby power...Driven Jims car a few times and i'm getting addicted to boosting!!

only way to go matey!... and cheers for the info..

Jap turbo nutterdom is very tempting - I've almost been there a couple of times. Still considering it, but there's something about the driver involvement of the 'Teg that wins over outright speed for me.

Having said that, I'd choose a really nice R32 GTR over an ITR any day!

I think it was one of the Starlet guys has quick release clamps on his cat, the type you get for mountain bike saddles etc - modified to suit.

This way when MOT time comes around it's an easy job to put the cat back on.

( I thought is was a neat idea anyway ! )

Rich

funky...

being an NA it is poss to get, ickle flames out of the exhaust as I found out...

Mine was running rich with a mongoose and no Cat, HKS induction and according to scott (old member who sort of disappeared from view) I regularly got ickle flames out the back on a hard run :D :D :D

ickle flames ?? ... lol.... should see Ricos mr2 then.. that n/a can pop massive buggers !! ... lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links