Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Avensis = Boring/ugly ?

freelancer

i've heard a lot of talk saying the new avensis models are kinda ugly and boring. what do the rest of you guys think? there seems to be a lot of really dodgy out-of-proportionlooking shots of the car flying round the net right now - like the one on the TOC front page - looks pretty ghastly but also nothing like the car itself when you get to see it for real.

I like the engineering and package as a whole. However, when it comes to looks, I reckon it is so Passat!

I quite like it... one of those cars people get used to... when they bring a sporty model out it will suddenly change peoples minds.

its future in design.. thats why we do not see concept cars on the streets.. to advanced for peoples tastes.. thus renault seem to keep one step ahead of future designs.

had a drive.....drives fantastically

its extremely well made, i like it alot, the interior is very good looking....especially the cup holder.

the one i drove was the diesel estate, and i have to be honest i think the estate is the best looking model

I also drove the new Avensis and it felt great, it's so comfortable yet firm, so quiet...and it looked better in flesh (or metal rather) than on pictures with the Estate looking the best in my opinion...should beat any German car of its segment except maybe the holy trinity of BMW, Mercedes and Audi on price and quality...

Yeah if they do bring out a sports model I think it will be quite sweet. Heard rummors about a 2.4L going in it, or it may only be available for export??? Wonder if it will be badged S.R or T-Sport though? :D

The new avensis is in my opinion one good looker. I will comment on a few minor items that i do find annoying about the vehicles design, there are no door trims to protect the doors against damage when opening them in confined spaces or from the guy who parks next to it in the supermarket car park i have also noticed that the front wheel arch inserts look as if they belong on another vehicle "ill fitted" having said this we decided to go ahead and buy one and chose the T spirit estate in metal silver leather trim ect...........it gets the looks from passing admirers plus nothing but good all round comments on its style. Never heard the word ugly or boring mentioned.

I don't think its too bad, and I agree that people will get used to it, its not as bad as when the last Avensis was released, but that doesn't offend me either :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Newbie here, Just wanted to ask if anyone who has driven the new Avensis Estate Diesel has driven the petrol 1.8 version also, and was the diesel better or worse? My Local showroom does not yet have an Avensis Estate....Let alone a diesel version to test drive.

I also agree with a few who say the Avensis looks better as an estate but it does remind me of the Passat at the front, but that's no bad thing really i suppose

Cheers all :thumbsup:

We own the petrol version 2ltr avensis estate t spirit, we find it a very comfortable vehicle and a pleasure to drive, the sound proofing makes it a quiet vehicle, at the moment we are getting around 400/25 to a full tank urban and motorway combined only 2000 miles on the clock as yet "tried the optimax and found no differance" we are presently trying Q8 super unleaded and have noticed a slight improvement on the first 1/4 tank but as yet not run a full tank out, At the time we bought the car our dealership did mentioned that the deisel version would not be available untill september of this year, hence no comment on the deisel.

I like the engineering and package as a whole. However, when it comes to looks, I reckon it is so Passat!

Totally agree, I reckon the designers called 'Hans'!!!

It's far superior in looks to the passatt I think, at the end of the day it has to appeal to as many people as possible and it's obviously a design that works. If you want a direct copy of the passatt take a look at the ****ty Ford Mondeo! Ford have got as much inspiration as a carrot! The Avensis definately gets a :thumbsup:

It seems to appeal to alot more people than the last one.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of the new Avensis. It has a dignified, mature appearance. Haven't actually seen one out and about yet, though. Visited my local Toyota dealer on Sunday and am smitten......

I think the estate (tourer ?) looks much better than the saloon.

The big plus of the new Avensis is how well equipped it is and the entry price.

I have heard that it got 'the highest ever' NCAP crash test rating - can anyone confirm / deny this ?

I have heard that it got 'the highest ever' NCAP crash test rating - can anyone confirm / deny this ?

Yep. The Laguna would have scored the same but the scoring system did not allow 1 point for the seatbelt warning light when it was being tested.

The Avensis is one very well equipped car.

Hopefully, will be ordering mine soon....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a T3-X 1.8 Hatchback in Silver Steel

I think the car looks great - my daughter (aged 13) said it looked like a Mercedes when she first saw it !!

It is extremely well equipped for the price, the ride is excellent - very quiet and smooth - and the stereo system is just awesome - the car designer is a classical music buff and spec'd the system to the max. The boot is huge and some of the extra features on the T3-X (auto wipers, auto-dimming rearview mirror) just enhance the driving pleasure by allowing you to concentrate on driving. The full climate control system has been an added bonus over the past few weeks of unseasonably warm weather.

I have done about 2000 miles and am getting 450 miles at approx 35 mpg on a tank. Interestingly the on-board computer says average MPG is 45+. Is this a software glitch or marketing hype for those who don't monitor the MPG ?

Am I the only one thinking that the older models produved looked more offensive. I really can't say that I like the headlights of the new models with the exception of those on the new corolla series. I know that the new engines are really good and I am sure that the car behaves and sounds great but forgive me but I still like the older shapes more than the new ones. Example the rounded Celica with the pivoting headlights and the model that followed that one where by my opinion far superior in design to the new one. I know this opinion won't find many of you agreeing but anyway. Take care ppl. :bye:

It looks much bigger and more well built than the previous Avensis,

It is simple, it is designed for middle aged people!!which they want something luxury inside and dull for us outside,with the reliability of a TOYOTA :D .It isnt the Impreza that we have in mind.It looks like a Passat especially in blue colour. :o

Everyone says that it has a great handling and road behaviour.Magazines dont like the steering,they say that it is with no sense?what do you say? :huh:

At the TOC factory visit I actually got to have a good look round one (at last!) and I think it looks a lot better in the flesh, picture don't really do it justice.

It's pretty big isn't it :yes:

:ffs: Ive just traded in my MY99 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 for a new Avensis T2, you may ask why ? Simple, with insurance premiums, petrol costs and service cost getting silly it just had to go. The wife bought a Rav4 last year and I noticed the new avensis then. Ok its a bit boring to look at and doesnt have a turbo or 4wd, but its well made, goes for ever on a tank of fuel and is cheap to insure and service. Altogether a well made car. Maybe now I can save some money and buy a Celica GT4 :rolleyes: "for the weekends"

Cheers

Si.

I drive the new Avensis Wagon 1.8 Linea Luna (2003). It is a great car, good looking and great performance.

My parents have got one, I think they're really wkd!! Nice to drive.

The guy I share a lift with to work has had the old shape and now has the new shape. I have to say the ride is considerably better in the new one.

Plus his old one was plagued with problems, had to have new shocks all round, new discs all round and I think he also had an ECU problem.

So as I said I prefer the new one!!!

Would be better if it had a 3sgte in it, don't you think Sorted Avensis??? he he

It is simple, it is designed for middle aged people!!what do you say? :huh:

As in built for comfort not speed,now where have i heard that before hmmm :P :lol:

Had a look round a new type the other week and liked it a lot but if you look at it carefully you can see a lot of the old type avensis is still there.

I've never had a problem with my avensis Nath and anything would be better having that engine fitted :D

Sorry your getting me mixed up :P

What I was talkin about was the earlier Avensis has two revisions. I was talkin bout the latter revision(forgot bout the new new Avensis he he)

My friend at work has got a new new Avensis, he seems to think it ok.

But I prefer your style Ken, especially in orange :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links