Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Starts But Won't Idle For Long - Help

Billy C

What causes this on the 2?

I have a 92 rev 2 Turbo and basically it starts but doesn't stay idling for more that 2 secs. I can rev it to keep it running but as soon as i take my foot off it cuts out.

What is it and can i try anything to make it better or will it be a case of replacing something?

Cheers

William

have you tried adding some Redex to the fuel??

it could just be something as simple as a fuel supply problem, sticky injector etc. The Redex will clean out the fuel paths and may well cure/improve the problem.

Rich

Could be an ignition fault, has it been serviced recently?

Is it a bigger problem when it's colder or in damp/wet conditions?

Does the problem still occur when the engine is up to full temperature?

Question overload lol :blink:

could be the accelerator cable needs adjusting to pull the linkage back a tiny bit, or find the idle screw and adjust that.

:thumbsup: This might help :D Make sure throttle cable has about 1/4 of free play --if cable is tight this will tell the ECU that the engine is not AT IDLE AND CAN GET THE wrong signal ...There should be a FAST IDLE VALVE near the injector rail with a block conector (the idle valve should be a long- ish cylinder) there is a plunger inside cyl which can stick .Look for bolts holding cylinder to manifold and carefully remove -Clean through hole with carb cleaner then spray some W D 40 through hole shaking cyl at same time ---Switch ign on and remove block conector and work conector in and out -you should HERE the plunger clicking inside - if so replace( turn ign off ) and see if fast idle work s .......