Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E Versus Early Avensis

dgo_carina

hi Toyota family owners,

I am considering another Toyota for my wife, this'll be our third. She wants a Yaris but they are...

A) too expensive

B) to hard to get hold at that right price (Cheap!) &

C) All the forums are full of tips on how to get the Yaris's going faster... I just want tips on how to keep it clean after the school run!

In rural Scotland we do not have a great choice re 2nd hand cars so I am unsure of what to go for. Carinas are great but now I am tempted by early Avensis's. The styling is better and they are mechanically the same (arent they?). I am going to avoid 1.6's due to Lamda Oxygen sesnor troubles (at 130k though).

I have a 2-3k budget and want a 60k or less 5 door ? I can have both according to Autotrader I jst would appreciate your advice? I haven't ruled out Corolla's but they are slightly more expensive.

thanks

dgo_carina

Stick with the early Carina E. The Jap version is ultra reliable.

What is a Jap version... My GTI '93 plate is Japanese so does that mean all '93's are Jap versions.

How would one tell or know waht to ask/look for?

thanks

D

What is a Jap version... My GTI '93 plate is Japanese so does that mean all '93's are Jap versions.

How would one tell or know waht to ask/look for?

thanks

D

You've mutli posted!

There are multiple ways of telling whether your Toyota is made in Japan or elsewhere in the world, things like no rattles and bits of trim falling off are the first way.

However there are other design features that you come to notice with experience, however the offical ones are it should have a sticker in the top corner of the windscreen saying where it was made but incase it's come off or its had someone elses windscreen put in, check your vin number, a Japanese one will start with the letters JT (meaning Japanese Toyota).

Only the GTis of the E were jap, the rest were UK built. Only way to get a jap built carina thats not a GTi, is to go for one of the Carina IIs.

You check VIN plates to tell the build country, UK will start SB and jap will start JT :)

If you stick with Carina E, then go for a 2.0 GLi or Exec (we've got an exec and cant fault it at all). If you go with avensis, go for the 1.8 as alot of people sing their praises :)

Only the GTis of the E were jap, the rest were UK built. Only way to get a jap built carina thats not a GTi, is to go for one of the Carina IIs.

You check VIN plates to tell the build country, UK will start SB and jap will start JT  :)

If you stick with Carina E, then go for a 2.0 GLi or Exec (we've got an exec and cant fault it at all). If you go with avensis, go for the 1.8 as alot of people sing their praises :)

You can get carina e's other than gti's made in japan .I have a carina 1.6GL e (4a fe engine). k reg 92, the vin plate starts with a J,so I'm assumming that it is a jap model.

You can get carina e's other than gti's made in japan .I have a carina 1.6GL e (4a fe engine). k reg 92, the vin plate starts with a J,so I'm assumming that it is a jap model.

You must have had the very very very early first release carinas then, as the rest were made at the UK Factory by the end of 92. But its very hard them as so few were made (and usually they are way overpriced by the owners) :yes:

Certain Carina E > 93 were available with JT chassis. There are none post 93 as far as I am aware. You can tell the early Jap models cos they the one's that are still running sweet :rolleyes: ...LOL

You can tell the early Jap models cos they the one's that are still running sweet :rolleyes: ...LOL

LOL too true, they'll be the ones without the damn O2 sensor prob lol

Saying that, our exec with is UK is in better condition and running better than the GTi (although I think thats down to the GTi being neglected by the previous owner) :yes:

You can tell the early Jap models cos they the one's that are still running sweet :rolleyes: ...LOL

LOL too true, they'll be the ones without the damn O2 sensor prob lol

Saying that, our exec with is UK is in better condition and running better than the GTi (although I think thats down to the GTi being neglected by the previous owner) :yes:

hello again yes mine is still running great (touch wood).Done 147000 miles.Same exhaust from new,extremley well made cheapish car to run.I was wondering if any of you would know whether it would be ok to swap the plat tip plugs when they are due with none plat tip as they are approx 25% the price of platinum tips any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks!

Wasnt the Carina E wagon built in japan?

there is the Toyota Corona, the grey import i seen a few times but quite rare..

You check VIN plates to tell the build country, UK will start SB and jap will start JT  :)

Sorry bout multipostin' what ever that's meant to be... I did ask the Avensis crowd a question but hardly multiposting.

Just an update on my originla posting... I am fast going off Avensis's due to the replies and now looking at the Yaris solution.

Back to "My" trusty GTI (well I bought it - the missus drives it). She's away so I get to drive the beast all weekend! However, the toyota engineer said i need to get the "Head torqued down" as I have small oil leak from the back of the engine.

That aside the quality of this motor is so fab! I'd rather buy another early Jap Carina except the drives too small..

Sorry to gush again...

D

Wasnt the Carina E wagon built in japan?

there is the Toyota Corona, the grey import i seen a few times but quite rare..

Im assuming you are refering to the Caldina. It was the estate version of the carina E over in Japan area, but it wasnt introduced over here. The E estates were uk built, sure beardie will confirm that as hes got an estate.

The corona was another version of the carina released in Thailand/Australia area.

Carina E and Corona are the same car (between 92-97), and the caldina is the jap version of the Carina E estate. So basically they are the same car just badged differently :)

Well some of you guys are a bit complicated..To make it clear!:

Carina E: 5/'92 - 7/'93 Jap made!Vin starts from JT etc...

From that time and on they were built in UK..

For GTi's i don't know,i think they are all Jap made..

Finally the only way to be SURE that your car is Jap is to see the VIN..No design,no craps,not everything..

Good evening

Carinaboy-Nitroking

*puts 2 and 2 together and realises who Carinaboy is* Hey, didnt realise you were here under a different name! :D

Early Estates, same as hatch and saloon, built in the land of the rising sun. As said earlier, check chassis before buying. Other differences are the p/steering racks. The Jap versions are a million times better than the UK versions. I've yet to see a jap version fail, but have seen numerous UK ones with leaking seals.

Platinum plugs...stick with them as the lean burn engines run much better with them. The leaner 22:1 mixture needs a good spark to ensure full combustion. It's an investment. Cheap plugs mean higher cost at the end of the day. Have Fun.

*puts 2 and 2 together and realises who Carinaboy is* Hey, didnt realise you were here under a different name! :D

Yes Nitroking is my original nickname in all forums,just here i got Carinaboy and then i joined carina owners club with the original Nitroking..BTW i lost a NOS kit within my hand for only 500Euros!!!