Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Tips On Early Avensis Compared To Carina

dgo_carina

hi Avensis owners,

I am considering another Toyota for my wife, this'll be our third. We have had Carinas and now I am tempted by the early Avensis's. I know they are not a huge difference from the Carinas but for £500 more I would get a 97-99 Avensis 1.8 GS? Are their any baddies in the ealry Avensis range to be aware of?

My wife actually wants a Yaris but they are...

A- too expensive

B- to hard to get hold at that right price (Cheap!) &

C- All the forums are full of tips on how to get the Yaris's going faster... I just want tips on how to keep it clean after the school run!

In rural Scotland we do not have a great choice re 2nd hand cars on our doorstep so I need some tips before I start driving about. The Carinas we've had are great but now I am tempted by the 1.8 Avensis's. The styling is better and they are mechanically the same (arent they?).

I have a £2-3k budget and want a 60k or less 5 door model? I can have both according to Autotrader. I jst would appreciate your advice? I haven't ruled out Corolla's but they are slightly more expensive ... oh and uglier :)

thanks

dgo_carina

A Yaris or Corolla providing it's made in Japan would be better quality, there are quite a few quality issues with the Avensis, actually more so than the UK built CarinaE's, however the pre-facelift Avensis' do have stronger and smoother engines in than the later VVT-i units.

Personally I would go for the Yaris partially due to it's incredible crash test result which was higher than either the Corolla or Avensis, but more so due to the better quality and reliability, have you thought about getting one of the last Starlets? They were very solid little cars.

Work out what u would save in fuel,Insurance & running costs also road tax & put it to buyimng more expensive Yaris

As said early Avensis as a host of issues most which are not cheap

1.8 - gearbox bearings issues

all steering rack issues not to mention sunroof failure ign locks,water pumps

No timing belt to replace on a Yaris

If not Yaris defo Corolla

Believe me i know

Hi There

We actually have a similar setup that you are proposing (I have 2002 D4D Avensis, she has 1.3 2003 Yaris). So far as scooting around town, parking, shopping etc, you cannot beat the Yaris. Its a pretty tough little thing, and frequent getting in and out is easier thanks to the high seats and large doors. Out of town however, and on a journey of any length, the Avensis wins hands down - far more comfortable, quieter ride, feeling of more "solidity", and surprisingly better mpg (55 diesel for the Avensis, around 45 ish petrol for the Yaris)

If you had to have only one car, and considering resale, parts / servicing etc, I'd go for the Yaris - but if you can why not get both !

Cheers

Buzlby :D

Many thanks,

All advice is greatly appreciated... seems i shoudl have anther look at the Yaris then :(

dgo_carina