Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Wheels/brakes.

Guest Calum

Guest Calum

THE STORY:

Recently, i noticed that the brakes on my 94 corolla were starting to whine, so i took the car into a local garage to have them checked out.

When it came back, they said there had been a piece of steel caught, but when i checked the car out, the brakes were still whining, and now, the cars front right wheel even whines when not brakeing, but only at slow speeds.

I took the car back twice, but they did not manage to solve it.

Now then, what do i do? does it sound like a problem i can fix myself, could it be brake damage? unclean brake pads? damaged brake disks?(please no, that sounds expensive.)

And no, i'm not going back to that garage. <_<

what tyres do you have fitted.

i assume they checked for wheel bearing play

Guest Calum

They didn't check that, but have had that before, and the wheel doesn't seem lose when i jack it up. also could not see any problem on the brake disks.

do you know the bearing types on the car.....are they Tapered roller bearings or pressed in sealed bearings

i recon that your wheel bearings are running dry.....and will say that whatever the garage told you they were "bending the truth"

Guest Calum

How would i check this? and is it a job i could do myself to fix it?

I'm not great with cars, but i can usually follow the Haines.

Cheers for the help, Calum.

• 2 years later...

They didn't check that, but have had that before, and the wheel doesn't seem lose when i jack it up. also could not see any problem on the brake disks.

ok dont laff but....

i think its caused by rust build up on the edge of the disc rim just chip it off with a tack hammer all the way round

It sounds like brake pad wear indicators to me....

The brake pads have small metal clips that rub against the disk when the pad gets low, making a scraping scratching noise... This can start off just under breaking, but as the pads wear more become constant!

DO NOT take a hammer to your brake disks!!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links