Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Advice Please

stevegiles

My Celica VVTi is just over a year old and has done about 21,000 miles. I now reckon I'll be doing about 40,000 miles a year in it for the next two or three years assuming it doesn't fall apart.

Car has standard Yokos fitted at the moment, but whilst they're ok they don't inspire great confidence in the wet (they grip pretty well, but feel a bit light at the front).

What tyres do Celicas run best on? On my MX5 I had experience of standard Pirellis, Toyo Proxes and Goodyear F1s and the latter two were streets ahead. Would the same rubber work well on the Celica?

Thanks,

steve

I had Pirelli Pzeros on when I had my Celica (fitted as standard for 17" wheels back in 2001) - SUPERB :)

Had Yokos on my mk2 MR2 when I got that, superb in the dry, not so hot in the wet :( So I got Pirelli Pzeros on that now :thumbsup:

I would whole heartedly recomend the toyo proxes for anything :)

www.mytyres.co.uk for a decent price

By all accounts these seem to work well with the latest Celica. I'm still on the original P-Zero's which I rate in the dry but personally I think are dreadful when the road's greasy/wet/icy, etc.

Habu

would 215 tyres fit on those rims?

Not sure, to be honest. Currently on 205/50/16 rubber which probably means 215/45/16 would be 5% smaller diameter if my understanding is anything like correct.

would 215 tyres fit on those rims?

Not sure, to be honest. Currently on 205/50/16 rubber which probably means 215/45/16 would be 5% smaller diameter if my understanding is anything like correct.

When you have xxx/xx/xx the first part is the width of the tyre in mm, the second part is the height of the rubber in mm, and the last part is the diameter of the rim in inches

so the 215/45/16 would be 10mm wider, but also a more low profile tyre by 5mm (10%) - BUt that's only 10% of the tyre. The actuall percentage that the wheel would change by is probably insignificant - but would be double that across the diameter in other words it would be 10mm smaller diameter. Originally it would have been 506.4mm diameter - after it would be 496.4mm - which would be just less than 2% difference

I think as they get wider they are better in dry but worse in the wet??

The lower profile normally corrects the extra diameter you get when you get larger wheels - but makes the journey harsher especially when you hit bumps!

well that link makes my post on profile height wrong! :wacko:

oops! I was always led to believe the second part was in mm not a percentage of something.

oh well you learn something new every day!

• 3 months later...

For anybody who's still interested I ended up taking the safe option and put four new Yoko A680s on to replace the 31,000 mile old Yoko A680s.

Result is very good. Whilst old tyres were down to 2mm front and 3mm rear I wouldn't have believed the difference a new set made.

Makes you wonder about legal limit of 1.6mm though....

Eagle F1's for me..........had them on my Zetec-S Fiesta before the Celica and really rated them. Unfortunately they don't make them for the T-Sport 205/45 ZR 17's.

I have Pzero Assimetro's on the T-Sport and really rate them.....certainly in the dry, although I don't profess to having tested them on the limit in the wet.

Eagles were the dogs danglies.

http://www.eventmobiletyres.com - very, very cheap and a great service too!! :)

I use Eagle F1's on my ST205 they are an excellent tyre. I also have an old set of F1's that I use for trackdays, they also perform well in this setting.