Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On How To Keep My Lovely New Celica Lovely!

peterfoster

Picking up a new Celica Premium Blue in a weeks time and would like some advice, please, on the following concerns-

1. My previous car, a Fiat Coupe, had a lot of small parking dents down the side because the car did not have any protection in the form of errrr.... protective strips fitted down the side. I've noted that the Celica, like the Fiat Coupe, does not possess such protective strips; I can therefore look forward to receiving a regular selection of parking dents with my new Celica in the years ahead... UNLESS someone can suggest a remedy whereby protective strips can be fitted. Obviously, these strips would need to be fitted "properly" and be reasonably cosmetically pleasing!

2. I've seen a brand new Celica in a showroom with it's paintwork scratched, no doubt, by clumsy or inappropriate cleaning. Could someone kindly recommend the best method to clean the new car to avoid such scratching of the paitwork. For example, would it be preferable to use a pressure washer of a hose with a brush fitted or would a "hand job" (oo-er mrs) with a bucket and sponge. Which cleaning/washing products are best.

Thanks very much.

1. learn to park properly :P

2. Dont use brush's as they can scratch the paint, simply use a sponge and some good car cleaning liquid, also a steam clean under the arches would be good, gets rid of the crap. Apart from that a good polish, if you have some money to spair get it polished at a garage, cant remember what its called, but its a duel coat stuff and its expensive, but it will leave you car polished for several years and stops paint from fading.

The product mrfil13 is talking about is SUPAGUARD........Talk to your Toyota Delaer and get it Supagurded - It costs up to £300 roughly but it will coat your car for up to 3 years so you will NOT need to use a Polis/wax when cleaning the car.

When parking all you can do is try and park away from other cars in a remote area of the supermarket :lol: and PRAY hard that no one is stupid enough to whack your door..........

Enjoy your car - You are buying Quality and will enjoy driving it - I guarantee :thumbsup:

Thanks for your suggestions, Guys. When I bought my first Nissan 200sx in 1991 I remember I harboured similar fears about the unprotected sides of the car being damaged in car parks. I remember I bought some self adhesive colour coded stripes which I cut to legth andI fitted myself which provided an impact zone for those cretinous oafs who carelessly open their car doors thus protecting the paintwork. It didn't look half bad either.

Welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of protective strips on the doors. My car has them, they have paint chips all over them (I know that's the idea), but there are still chips all over the sides of the car from other people's doors. It's lucky if your neighbour's door meets your car at the right height to hit the protective strip. Just imagine what happens when some clot in a 4x4 parks next to you! :ffs:

Over the last 18 months, my Mum has had her entire car repainted (except the roof, I think), due to other people putting chips and dents in it. She is careful where she parks, and has still been the victim of runaway shopping trolleys etc.

I always park in the most remote part of the car park where nobody else goes - I also try and go at night when there is less cars about.

The missus hates it - having to walk half a mile to the entrance! :lol:

I know it is selfish but I park between two spaces in supermarket car parks, that way the doors won't get dinged and I don't have to walk too far either! :P

I know it is selfish but I park between two spaces in supermarket car parks, that way the doors won't get dinged and I don't have to walk too far either!  :P

there's a sign in our tesco's saying you will get towed away if you park across spaces!

You also run the risk of somebody getting pee'd off with you and scratching your car to spite you :(

On a similar note, I do a lot of motor way miles in mine. I've seen some cars with leather protectors on the front to protect against stone chips. Does anyone know if something similar exists for the Gen 6 Celica and if so, how much it's likely to cost?

Thanks

I can definitely say that you CAN get some sort of leather/vinyl cover for the Gen 6's front end as I saw at least 3 of the cars with them fitted whilst I was in San Francisco a few months back.

One thing though - THEY LOOK ABSURD - whether they do the job or not - THEY LOOK PLAIN STUPID........ :lol:

I agree about the looks of them but if it's a choice between that or getting the front of my baby chipped to :censor: then it's not such a cut and dry decision. They do look stupid though, there's no doubt about that. I have seen on a 911 some sort of plastic film on the front third of the bonet/bumper that was almost unnoticable without close inspection. I was thinking about this but I expect it costs much £££'s, oh and I have no idea who would do it :)

I have only seen US cars with these additions to the front - most cars seem to have 'em in San Fran......

So I'm guessing it's probably an American thing - maybe you could try a google search or such and see what you come up with :thumbsup:

there's a sign in our tesco's saying you will get towed away if you park across spaces!

... and that would be the last time I shopped there if they did! :yes:

I wonder on what legal basis they think they can do that! No signs at our Tesco's :D

I have seen on a 911 some sort of plastic film on the front third of the bonet/bumper that was almost unnoticable without close inspection.  I was thinking about this but I expect it costs much £££'s, oh and I have no idea who would do it :)

That would be Paint Protection film. more info in this here thread !

>> Click Me <<

Rich

... and that would be the last time I shopped there if they did! :yes:

I wonder on what legal basis they think they can do that! No signs at our Tesco's :D

They probably get away with it becasue it is used as a pay carpark as well, it's just on the edge of town so a lot of people park there and walk into town (you get free parking if you spend £5 in store) - maybe you can get two spaces if you spend £10??? :lol:

Protective film is the way to go to stop ya new motor from chipping. Gen 7's are really prone on the nosecone and leading edge of the bonnet. As for the rest of the car's paint wash regularly (min of weekly) with a quality wash mitt (not a sponge) as the then the crap gets lodged in the mitts napp and not rubbed over the paint. Simply rinse the mitt out afterwards in cool water. I personally use practically all of the Meguiars range of surface cleaning products including the mitt buts it's a personal choice. Regularly build up the paint finish with wax. For me it's Meguiars NXT Next Generation Tech Wax :D

Never go through a car wash or the paint will be scratched to hell :censor:

Apart from all of that really enjoy your car as you'll love it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope to see you at a meet soon.

Habu

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links