Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A Used Cts....

WhiteLightning

I'm looking to replace my Integra Type R and I'm considering the CTS (as well as the CTR).

I'm hoping to test drive a CTS sometime within the next couple of weeks and would like some advice on what to what to look out for when buying. I've read that there's various problems with clutch, dash rattle, headlights etc. Anything else I should pay special attention to?

I believe the CTS was revised mid-04. What are the differences other than strut brace, lower suspension and body kit?

Thanks.

I believe the CTS was revised mid-04. What are the differences other than strut brace, lower suspension and body kit?

They've tweaked the steering rack, I think from 3.5 turns lock to lock to 3.2. But really not much has changed.

Suggest reading back a few months on this forum to see some of the problems people have had with the cars.

Cheers

Paul.

I'm looking to replace my Integra Type R and I'm considering the CTS (as well as the CTR).

I'm hoping to test drive a CTS sometime within the next couple of weeks and would like some advice on what to what to look out for when buying. I've read that there's various problems with clutch, dash rattle, headlights etc. Anything else I should pay special attention to?

Thanks.

It all down to what you want from the car, I went from the CTS to a CTR as it suited my more than the Corolla. The Type-R is much more of a drivers car than the T-Sport but the Corollas the better car if you rack up the miles!

Any questions please just ask, or vist our Type-R forum! Type-R.org

CTS ...Means: Corolla T Sport

CTR ... Means Civic Type R

Corolla T Sport is sports corolla ...modern day version of yours and Civic Type R is it's Honda rival (Personnally between these two modern examples I think the Civic does have the edge).

...Had any luck with obtaining a front wing yet?

Corolla T Sport is sports corolla ...modern day version of yours and Civic Type R is it's Honda rival (Personnally between these two modern examples I think the Civic does have the edge).

I don't think they're close rivals though!

CTR is a 2 litre with 200bhp and a 0-60 of around 6 seconds (group 17 insurance). Retail price new of around 17k.

CTS is a 1.8 with around 180bhp and a 0-60 of 8 (group 14 insurance). Retail price new of around 15k.

CTR is closer to something like a Focus RS.

CTS is closer to something like a VW Golf.

Horses for courses.

I like my CTS because it doesn't look like a racer, it can shift if it really needs to, it's nice inside, very comfy and predictable drive, and it's cheap to own!

(tbh though, I'd love it if Toyota did bring out a higher spec Corolla - but Toyota don't make fast cars anymore!).

I don't think they're close rivals though!

CTR is a 2 litre with 200bhp and a 0-60 of around 6 seconds (group 17 insurance). Retail price new of around 17k.

CTS is a 1.8 with around 180bhp and a 0-60 of 8 (group 14 insurance). Retail price new of around 15k.

CTR is closer to something like a Focus RS.

CTS is closer to something like a VW Golf.

Horses for courses.

I like my CTS because it doesn't look like a racer, it can shift if it really needs to, it's nice inside, very comfy and predictable drive, and it's cheap to own!

(tbh though, I'd love it if Toyota did bring out a higher spec Corolla - but Toyota don't make fast cars anymore!).

I would have to disagree with a few of the coimments there, as Nick has said the CTS has 189, the CTR has 197 so closer than you think in straight line speed anyway. The CTR was figured by EVO magazine on numerous occasions at 6.8 to 60, the CTS has been timed at 7.2 iirc. 8 seconds is a joke. Both cars have similer power and weight so in reality there will not be that much between them. I will always concede that the CTR will have the straightline edge and as far as handling is concerned the CTS is the poor relative by a large margin.

However the CTS has more creature comforts in comparison to the CTR which has er..none! And it is this reason why it is my daily drive over atype R, though the lack of torque is a killer!!!

Hi,

No ofence guys but please stop make the same confusion:

Toyota claims 8.4s for 0-to 62MPH (100KMH) NOT FOR 60MPH(100KMH) as bellow staded:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/...andardundefined

Honda claims 6.6s(for the face lift) as you can see below

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/newcars/modelH...ource=modelHome

On the other hand the reamining 0.2mph or 3.2km/h takes 0.5 sec or so.

As I staded some time ago mine did 6.82 from 0-to 60mph,STOCK ,but easily

I did 7.5 -8 .0 s when I falled the changing gear from 1 to 2 or the engine was too warm!!!!!!!!

Mircea

I would have to disagree with a few of the coimments there, as Nick has said the CTS has 189, the CTR has 197 so closer than you think in straight line speed anyway.  The CTR was figured by EVO magazine on numerous occasions at 6.8 to 60, the CTS has been timed at 7.2 iirc.  8 seconds is a joke.  Both cars have similer power and weight so in reality there will not be that much between them.  I will always concede that the CTR will have the straightline edge and as far as handling is concerned the CTS is the poor relative by a large margin.

I was just quoting the official manufacturers figures (and some from memory which can be a little fuzzy at times :blink: )

However the CTS has more creature comforts in comparison to the CTR which has er..none!  And it is this reason why it is my daily drive over atype R, though the lack of torque is a killer!!!

Agreed, agreed, agreed - I seem to spend most of my time stuck in slow/stationary traffic on motorways these days so having nice comfy seats, aircon, and a decent stereo is more important to me than a few extra bhp.

Like I said - horses for courses. I'm sure the CTR is a nice car, it's just not for me.

(also... how come every CTR I've seen seems to have been driven by a :censor:-head!)

That’s a bit of a far-fetched comment, what leads to believe that every Civic Type-R driver is a knob head? I would be interested to hear your reason why, because I am certainly not thanks very much!

I was driving to my girlfriends the other evening when some idiot came steaming up my rear end as soon as he could he drew level with my car, guess what it was a Corolla T-Sport. So does that make every T-Sport owner a knob head, er no…… it doesn’t

Like I said before for driver thrills the Type-R is far and away the better car, but its doesn’t offer any of the creature comforts that the Toyota offers but when it only come out at the weekend this is not a problem.

For the enthusiast the Honda offers much more in the way of performance modification, which I also enjoy!

Nick

That’s a bit of a far-fetched comment, what leads to believe that every Civic Type-R driver is a knob head? I would be interested to hear your reason why, because I am certainly not thanks very much!

Like I said, every CTR I've seen seems to have been driven by a :censor: -head.

Maybe it's just a local thing... if that's the case I'd have to move before I'd consider ever owning one.

I will state quite freely that the CTR is faster albeit by a tiny amount, but and with no name calling every typr R driver I come across seems to want to 'flex' their authority over the T sport, perhpas they believe the 8.4 seconds thing and just want to crush the T sport.

That is of course not to say that CTs drivers don't try it on as well!

Doesnt every one try it on once in a while?

You dont buy either car if you dont like to put your foot down every so often.

and the satisfaction in wiping the smile of some unexpecting (bmw audi merc) driver gives me pleasure every time. Maybe i am just childish

but i do agree in general the CTR is driven by younger people often more irraticaly, than the CTS which tends to be an older persons/ womans car and driven more cautiously.

but i do agree in general the CTR is driven by younger people often more irraticaly, than the CTS which tends to be an older persons/ womans car and driven more cautiously.

thanks for reminding me that I'm no spring chicken :crybaby:

This is true and I aggree with you, but to say all Type-R drivers are knob heads is a little daft dont you think!

This is true and I aggree with you, but to say all Type-R drivers are knob heads is a little daft dont you think!

Like I said (twice now!), every CTR I've seen seems to have been driven by a :censor: -head - That's what put me off getting one.

(I seem to have touched a raw nerve here :rolleyes: )

Maybe its just me but the majority of owners I have met on the Honda forums since I changed my Corolla T-Sport to a Civic Type-R have been real enthusiasts.

Unfortunately though it’s not a NSX Type-R, it an affordable 17k hatch back which means inevitably some owners will be knobs, which is always a shame.

Dont worry you havent touched a nerve, I am still very happy with my car despite whats been said. I just prefer the cult following with the Type-R brand but this dosnt mean I dont have a soft spot for the T-Sport anymore. I still get to drive one as one of my close friends owns a pre face lift model!

I know the CTS very well indeed!

Heres my old car:

T_Sport2.sized.jpg

And here my CTR with my buddys CTS:

T_Sport_and_Type_R.jpg

CTS On The Limit!:

T_Sport08.jpg

Enjoy!

Nick

yes and is not what i was saying they are just tend to be younger keener drivers. There is only one group of car owners that could be described as knob heads are volvo dirivers.

as the old joke goes '' whats the differance betwen a volvo and a hedgehog? .... the hedgehog has the pricks on the outside''

All, thanks for the responses - didn't mean to bring up the heated debate of which car is better, hence my carefully worded question at the start. I still haven't had time to test a CTS yet tho which is a shame.

Back to the topic of knob head drivers (not trying to stir it up), you get them driving all sorts of cars, including the CTS! I guess you come across less of them in CTS's cos it's a much rarer and relatively unknown car. Look at all the hot hatch reviews in mags, hardly ever feature the CTS, which is unfair IMO. The praises the CTR has had from the motoring press has simply placed it at top of the shopping list of every boy racer, which doesn't help. I'm just glad the ITR was kept quiet :thumbsup:

Nick, what you're saying is exactly what I'm thinking (It all down to what you want from the car, I went from the CTS to a CTR as it suited my more than the Corolla. The Type-R is much more of a drivers car than the T-Sport but the Corollas the better car if you rack up the miles!). Main reason why the CTS is high on my list is I could be starting a new job soon, doing 30k miles a year as well as moving to a rough area. Want a CTR but the potential eye-watering £2400 quote for insurance and lack of sound-proofing doesn't help my 3 hour daily drive.

Back to the topic of knob head drivers (not trying to stir it up), you get them driving all sorts of cars,

I find knob heads tend to drive these vehicles:

1: red london busses (esp the new 18m long ones.... BOX JUNCTION? every heard of one)

2: London Black taxies

3: people carriers