Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Genii 3sgte

Mister2

hey all.. i have come to the reality that there isnt that much i could do with a geni 3sgte. im pretty sure most of you upgraded from a geni so i was wondering where u guys bought ur motors? and also, do these clips come with everything? ((engine, tranny, ecu, wiring harness, etc....)). then i think ill just slap a ct20b on that. thanks.

There is bugger all difference between a Gen I & II, you don't mean Gen III in place of your Gen I??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

There is bugger all difference between a Gen I & II, you don't mean Gen III in place of your Gen I??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

hah.. im sorry.. i was getting confused between rev1 and gen2. i have gen2 motor. anyways, the previous owner already did a lot of no no's to the engine. for example, open bov(trying to source stock bpv), 550cc injectors, and tt supra fuel pump(trying to save for fpr, safc, wideband o2, and dyno tune to kinda fix it). i dont know if i sould keep this motor and just replace everything then upgrade turbo, or get another usdm gen2, jdm gen2, or save for a while and get gen3.

Hmmmm....Im a bit biased as I own a own a Gen III :P

What are your long term goals?? you going for a drag machine or track car?? or just a well balanced street car to give those evo's etc. a nice scare?? ;)

open bov(trying to source stock bpv)

I wouldn't worry about that too much....on my old 1990 GT I ran an aftermarket external venting bov from about 127,000 km's till I sold it at 169,000 km's.....current owners running the same one today at over 200,000 km's. IMO it's a bit of a myth, I have read many posts that idle can be effected when the BOV has been replaced with a after market unit and vents to atmosphere, personally i have never experienced this problem..... so I am doughtful, I reakon it's just one more of those myths. idle is not effected, the only effects on idle are for a short period after the bov has done its job, this theory has some merit, (the car had accounted for the air that had just been released), personally i have never seen this, i have owned 2 turbo mr2's all have run amto bov from time to time with NO effect what so ever.....obviously my Type 3 is sweet with the MAP system but many others I meet up with that have turbo mr2's have no probs either.

I have however seen the car idle issues with the OEM unit venting to the atmo....would dip down and stall after venting or coming to a stop.

I believe most of the time anyone having a problem with an aftermarket unit is more likely to have a poorly sealing bov, or just plain cheap and nasty BOV/Install.

If your car has a rough idle a simple test would be to cover/seal the bov to see if the idle issues is solved, if it is then the problem is your BOV is not sealing proper...

It is correct that the stock unit is a goodie and does not need replacement, but what fun would that be cool-smiley-010.gif

550cc injectors, and tt supra fuel pump(trying to save for fpr, safc, wideband o2, and dyno tune to kinda fix it).

There a step in the right direction...but yeah thoses extras are sorta needed to make real use of them etc.

i dont know if i sould keep this motor and just replace everything then upgrade turbo, or get another usdm gen2, jdm gen2, or save for a while and get gen3.

Well I say stop spending money on it......enjoy it as it is & save for a nice Gen III. When you get that all you need to do is intake, exhaust, hike up the boost & enjoy, then while your enjoying save up for an ecu & upgraded ct20b etc.

Have a little read of an older post ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

very well put advise.. i want an all around type car. probably aronud 280-300 to the wheels. something comfortable for the street, good enough to run 12s in, and something to get me aronud the track as i am put in sm2 ((matched up with corvettes!)). so to pretty much sum it up, a nice balance between handling and power. i will definately look into a gen3 though. what would be the next best thing, jdm gen2 fitted with ct20b? (them evo boys still giving me trouble! ;) )

Im surethe rev3+ were never released in the USA.. the late spec 240bhp 3sgte never made it thru emissions. They were stuck with 200bhp variation 2nd gen 3sgte

Im surethe rev3+ were never released in  the USA.. the late spec 240bhp 3sgte never made it thru emissions. They were stuck with 200bhp variation 2nd gen 3sgte

that is correct. that is why i was asking if any of u guys knew any jap shops that distribute the gen3. production of the 2 stopped in 95. and the very low power was due tot he low gas octane and the stupid ecu. speaking of which, if i bought a jdm motor with jdm ecu, how would it compensate for the lower octane gas?

??? .....

you can do anything to the rev1 that you can to a rev3 !

At what cost!!?? I could make a Lada quicker than your MR2, would cost me an arm and a leg though ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

How? pushing it off a cliff  :lol:

:P

But seriously Jim has definitly done well with his Gen I......there's another option though Mister2, basicly follw jims mod path. I get them impression Jim's engine was in pretty good nick prior to his mods so that helps...I mean he's been pushing a fiar bit of boost through the CT26 and stll going :)

??? .....

you can do anything to the rev1 that you can to a rev3 !

Plug & Play Power FC availability. Easiest and most versatile engine management system out there -- and the only one with a Commander display unit.

Not being stuck with an AFM -- priceless! (actually, add however many hundreds of dollars $$ plus labor to the price of a Gen II just to get rid of the stupid AFM)

Better Intake Manifold: No more overfeeding cylinders 2 & 3 = fewer blown motors.

Improved cooling passages in the cylinder head: No more localized boiling in the head = fewer blown motors.

Intake manifold temp. sensor (If you have the Power FC, you can monitor intake temps on the fly).

Factory (upgraded) headgasket: The factory headgasket is the same layered metal design that all the Gen II guys need to spend hundredsa + labor to upgrade -- with the important difference being that it has a factory perfect seal. No blown HG problems like the Gen II.

Factory LSD on nearly all Gen IIIs. Whoops, there goes another few hundred + labor on the Gen II.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

haha.. isnt ther a big difference between the generations though? like, pistons, cams, i dont know, something. maybe everything is all easy to interchange with your engines because u guys have imported ones. remember, i live in the u.s. so i got the wimpy usdm 3sgte. im not sure if it is just a detuned version or if it is completely different than imported 3s'.

haha.. isnt ther a big difference between the generations though?  like, pistons, cams, i dont know, something. maybe everything is all easy to interchange with your engines because u guys have imported ones. remember, i live in the u.s. so i got the wimpy usdm 3sgte. im not sure if it is just a detuned version or if it is completely different than imported 3s'.

I think you guys just have them a bit de-tuned.....for emissions. I didn't realise you were in the US. There are quite a few places you could get a J-spec Gen III engine from.....what part of the US are you in??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

i live in las vegas, NV.. theres probably alot more shops in california as they have everything there ((D1 drifting, JGTC visited there, tuner shops such as apexi, shops that allow for importing cars such as skylines)). are these places in the u.s. that get engined from japan?

i live in las vegas, NV.. theres probably alot more shops in california as they have everything there ((D1 drifting, JGTC visited there, tuner shops such as apexi,  shops that allow for importing cars such as skylines)). are these places in the u.s. that get engined from japan?

Yep it seems Cali has a few places. Basicly the Gen III's are ONLY j-spec so they will be sourcing them from Japan :)

Jarco Inc

Canton Georgia

www.jarcoinc.com

If you are on the east coast of the USA... use these guys. They speak English. They actually understand you. And they will understand you if you are sorta engine swap stupid. They will tell you what you need and what you don't need.

They race Toyota's. They personally go to Japan to get engines and clips. They are all hand picked. No crap here.

They can also supply USA spec parts and clips and full cars.

Cartune Motorsports/Neishlin Motors

201 N. Puente Ave.

City of Industry, CA 91746

626-369-8511 / 626-934-9808 / fax: 626-934-9768

www.neishlinmotors.com / www.cartunemotorsports.com

Motors Unlimited (909)283-3778.

www.nippon-motors.com

12425 Eucalyptus Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250

TEL: (310) 331-1588; Toll Free: (800) 416-3626

E.L. Prototypes:

Probably the best, bar none, for motor swaps. Can also source Gen II and Gen III clips (mine was sourced/installed by them and was flawless).

http://www.elprototypes.com/home.htm

410 S. Motor Ave., Suite C

Azusa, California 91702

(626) 812-0857

elproto@aol.com

Venus Auto Parts

4200 82nd street, suite k

sacramento, ca 95826

tel - 916.739.6002

fax - 916.739.6128

www.venus-auto.com

Johnnie Morris

http://www.usedengine.com/used_engines.asp.

Try Motors Unlimited

MotrsUnlimited@aol.com

G Speed Inc

12519 Cerise Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250

Phone: (310) 219-0250

C&T Japanese Engine, Inc.

www.CTJEngines.com

Den@CTJEngines.com

1127 E. Philadelphia Street

Ontario, California 91761

H(909) 923-5589

F(909) 923-5592

90-92 JDM Clip: $1900.00 plus shipping

93 JDM with LSD Clip: $2200.00 plus shipping

94-97 Gen III Clip: $3500.00 plus shipping

90-92 JDM Engine set: $1600.00 plus shipping

93 JDM Engine set w/ LSD: $1800.00 plus shipping

(Clip comes complete with all parts needed for swap from NA - Turbo)

(Engine set comes with engine, transmission, ECU & Cut harness)

"Our company ship to all 50 States with competetive shipping prices, we find the lowest shipping cost to you"

Motorsports Unlimited

Merritt Island, FL

www.motorsportsunlimited.com

These guys are pretty good and can get just about anything.

Email them from the website.

Osaka JDM Motors

8155-8165 boul. Langelier

St-Leonard, Quebec, CANADA

H1P 2B7

P: (514) 382-2338

F: (514) 382-0333

http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/

Street Imports.com

http://www.streetimports.com

P: 1 800 839-4536

F: (419) 791-9666

found a good place for jdm clips for 2500$

Ricks auto center

www.raceup.com

www.chicoraceworks.com

90-92 $1950 + shipping

93 w/LSD trans $2450 + shipping

94+ gen3 $3500 + shipping

all come with warranties and install available

www.rpmgarage.com

94-97 3rd Gen MR2 Turbo Clips are always available for only $2799 plus $1100 shipping

kk

wow... i love you :wub: the swap will probably be done by me and my friends.. we already did a few hondas and a couple of sr20s.. hopefully this shouldnt be too difficult :blink: also.. since im already na to turbo, i wont need a complete clip huh.. just an engine set? oohh.. and i noticed a price difference between 91-92 motors vs 93 motors... is there any difference between the two? or is the 93 price higher simply becasue it comes with lsd?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links