Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Problems

couldnt_think_of_a_name

Thought my powersteering relay was nackered, so ordered a new one from rouge systems, fitted it, it didnt fix the problem, same symptoms, so the realy was fine in the first place.

Checked www.mr2-tech.com and found out how to check for fault codes,

Manual_1163_0001.jpg

I wasnt getting a warning light and the power steering turns on and off, i checked the fault code and it came out as 21 according to this its because the P/S fluid is getting too hot, which indicates that the P/S motor or the P/S ecu is nackered....

(btw, my Battery is good and the fluid is topped up, it is definatley the motor or ecu)

Is there any way to repair the motor ? i see you can put new bushes in the motor would this fix it or would it be better to replace the whole thing ?

Damn cars..

And btw, i have a second hand power steering relay for sale if anyone needs one.

J

hmm strange mate...

I have a problem that if the car is stood for a few days.. when i start the car the P/S light will stay on and loose all power steering!!..

then i gotta turn the key in the ignition rapidly on and off and that frees it up.. how much you want fro the relay?

hmm strange mate...

I have a problem that if the car is stood for a few days.. when i start the car the P/S light will stay on and loose all power steering!!..

then i gotta turn the key in the ignition rapidly on and off and that frees it up.. how much you want fro the relay?

have a look on the bgb and see if you can get a fault code up, want £15 for the relay mate, just got it delvered from rouge the other day, but dont even need it now ! :D

You got some rims yet ?

J

I also have a weird issue.. ( not to do with this.... but it is power steering related ).

Occasionally when turning to full lock left or right (usually when stopped or just moving ) I hear a sorta squeaking sound.

Rico thought it was the power steering, simply because it was cold. Then we checked the fluid and it needed topped up. Topped it up. Noticed it again the other day.

Anyone got any ideas? Or is it simply because it's cold ?

I also have a weird issue.. ( not to do with this.... but it is power steering related ).

Occasionally when turning to full lock left or right (usually when stopped or just moving ) I hear a sorta squeaking sound.

Rico thought it was the power steering, simply because it was cold. Then we checked the fluid and it needed topped up. Topped it up. Noticed it again the other day.

That'll be air in your system mate.

:D

J

When the rack gets all the way to full lock, a pressure relief valve opens 'cos the hydraulics can't push it any further and sometimes it makes a squeaky noise. It's nothing to worry about.

:D

J

anyway to get rid of the air ?

When the rack gets all the way to full lock, a pressure relief valve opens 'cos the hydraulics can't push it any further and sometimes it makes a squeaky noise. It's nothing to worry about.

Thats it.. :thumbsup:

• 13 years later...
On 1/29/2005 at 10:32 PM, couldnt_think_of_a_name said:

Not seen a solution to this yet, I recently cleaned my PS motor following the guide here: http://www.spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?50843-PS-light-power-steering-problems-Try-this

After reinstalling it and giving the wheel a few full turns and making sure the fluid was still above min level, the motor started whining after the engine started.

Does anyone have a solution or any other suggestion as to why the motor would be whining despite working intermittently before I removed it?

Thanks