Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina Idle

anndd1ee

Hi, my Toyota Carina 1.6 engine 4A-FE idles very high when cold. It slowly rises to 2000rpm. However when warm idles properly. Any ideas?

errr... that sounds pretty normal to me, besides being a tad high. My 4afe goes to about 1500, then drops to +-800 once warmed up.

Does it do this every cold morning, or does it vary?

Quick fix, take out the EFI fuse (front engine bay) for 30 seconds. This will reset your ECU to default values. Should do the trick. If it runs fast again, i suspect the ICV (idle control valve) may be sticking. remove inlet plastic pipe from Air filter to Throttle body and spray a little WD40 in the throttle body. You'll notice a small hole just before the throttle butterfly flap. A squirt down there should lubricate the ICV. Have Fun.

Quick fix, take out the EFI fuse (front engine bay) for 30 seconds. This will reset your ECU to default values. Should do the trick. If it runs fast again, i suspect the ICV (idle control valve) may be sticking. remove inlet plastic pipe from Air filter to Throttle body and spray a little WD40 in the throttle body. You'll notice a small hole just before the throttle butterfly flap. A squirt down there should lubricate the ICV. Have Fun.

Hi, my Toyota Carina 1.6 engine 4A-FE idles very high when cold. It slowly rises to 2000rpm. However when warm idles properly. Any ideas?

Will try, thanks for your help!!!!

• 2 years later...

Beardie

been reading posts about high idle speed when engine warm - I have this problem on my 94 1.6 Carina. I took the throttle housing off yesterday to get a look at the idle control valve /sensor. How do you know if its sticking? How does it work correctly? Its a small cylinder shaped thing which sits into the sensor. It turns a bit from right to left.I squirted some WD40 down the small hole before butterfly flap.Put all back together again but no difference except that the idle was 'yo-yoing', going fast then slow then fast every few seconds??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links