Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previa Vs Galaxy

Ok, so we've dropped the idea of a Landcruiser - just have to hire the Dodge Durrango again next time we go to Canada.

And we've decided on MPV... Now which one? (Must be Auto, new or nearly new)

Espace - too many electrics to go wrong... small mirrors, auto box which doesn't seem to like my style of driving - I had to keep forcing it to change down. (3.5 petrol had loads of umph though - too much at times)

807/Citroen - nope, not a powerful enough auto engine choice

Galaxy - 2.8V6 auto - very nice engine, not many V6 around though, good performance on paper - is there a good Ford dealer?

Previa GLS 2.4 Auto - not as good performance, but slidey doors (strong plus point for the kids), Toyota reputation for owner satisfaction (I didn't see Previas in the most recent JD Power - are there too few around or no complaints?)

so I think it's between Galaxy and Previa..... but do you suggest otherwise??

TIA

Craig

• 1 month later...
:thumbsup: Go for the previa because Toyota have child protection locks and are very safe :thumbsup:

I could be biased but i did not create this site becasue i thought Fords were good and Toyota were not.

Reliability has to be paramount over performance..

i am sure depreciation values are better on the previa THAN the galaxy too.

Plus you have a very helpfull club here to answer your questions that would probably out-perform any ford club! :thumbsup:

i think the reliability wont be a pronblem on either cuz the galaxy i believe has the VW vr6 engine which are seemingly bulletproof how ever previas are nice motors but imports are sometimes better equiped (air con and the like)

most definatly i would buy an import.. for the same money as a UK spec you will get a tone of goodies with it...

Does the Galaxy have the VW transmission?

what about the rest of the vehicle for build quaility? Bits drop off?

the worst i have experienced is the Voyager!.. nice when new but a tub after a few years.. build quality is poor!

My folks had a Galaxy for about six months and they grew to hate it (I told them not to get a Ford!)

Toyota is the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Im new to the forum.

I noticed this posting because I have just part x my galaxy V6 for my lucida only this week. All I can say is DONT get the ford. The cars engine is good but that is all. The interior fell to pieces. these cars should be designed for kids and i can tell you the galaxy wasnt even designed for adults. I know several people with these cars and they all have the same problems. The only thing i think i will miss will be the speed, the V6 was a great lump, but then again it wasnt a ford engine was it. At the end of the day it is your choice, but i had to pay £1100 for a brake emulator and numeriouse other faults. The beasty cost me loads.

:wacko:

I was given £3000 PX for my M reg galaxy. I wouldnt have given £1000 for it, tidy £5000 but the toyota is so mu superiour.

I'd go for the Previa over the Galaxy anytime :) In fact - I did!

We've had the Previa for nearly two years now (it's the 2.0 D4D CDX model), and (touch wood) havn't had anything go wrong with it.

Not the fastest thing in the world, but is very practical.

Only slight niggle I have with the car is that it can be quite difficult to reverse - the headrests on the rear seats obscure your vision. Parking sensors help though! :)

Have you seen the new Previa? As an option there's a camera built into the back of the car, so you can see where you're reversing on the colour navigation screen in the front :yes:

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I was tempted with the Galaxy family (Sharan, Alhambra, Galaxy), especially having once worked for a Ford franchise, but when you want space a the back, you have to take out the rear seats, on the Lucida you simply fold them back and lift them to the side. Also being an import, the spec is FAR superior than any Galaxy in the same price range.

I'd go for the Toyota, recently bought a Lucida and love it, what can I say, best car I've ever had!!

:hokus-pokus: :thumbsup: :D

• 3 weeks later...

galaxy owner alert :o

Go for the previa because Toyota have child protection locks and are very safe

and so does the galaxy!

Does the Galaxy have the VW transmission?

yes on certain models but it has the ford mt75 modded for fwd coded mtx75

Plus you have a very helpfull club here to answer your questions that would probably out-perform any ford club!

http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ we may not have as many members but we only mainly cover one vehicle not the full range as you do! and our members are very knowledgeable :o

as for buying the vehicle of your choice? its down to personal taste of which vehicle you buy and using forums such as these to suss out the pro's and cons of buying the vehicle of your choice! good luck and i hope your happy with your choice as i am with mine :P

• 4 years later...
http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ we may not have as many members but we only mainly cover one vehicle not the full range as you do! and our members are very knowledgeable :o

If you really want to find out what the Galaxy has to offer then you should check out the official Ford Galaxy Owners Club at http://www.fgoc.co.uk/

A friendly site run by the most knowledgeable Galaxy guys on the planet .

They will show you that the Galaxy rules the MPV world :P

Ok, so we've dropped the idea of a Landcruiser - just have to hire the Dodge Durrango again next time we go to Canada.

Espace - too many electrics to go wrong... small mirrors, auto box which doesn't seem to like my style of driving - I had to keep forcing it to change down. (3.5 petrol had loads of umph though - too much at times)

Galaxy - 2.8V6 auto - very nice engine, not many V6 around though, good performance on paper - is there a good Ford dealer?

Previa GLS 2.4 Auto - not as good performance, but slidey doors (strong plus point for the kids), Toyota reputation for owner satisfaction (I didn't see Previas in the most recent JD Power - are there too few around or no complaints?)

TIA

Craig

hello ive got a previa its a uk model.and on a 93 plate/k reg.......can anyone tell me wot the L is on the auto box and how do i fold my rear seats down to make a bed?.thanks

Hi Im new to the forum.

I noticed this posting because I have just part x my galaxy V6 for my lucida only this week. All I can say is DONT get the ford. The cars engine is good but that is all. The interior fell to pieces. these cars should be designed for kids and i can tell you the galaxy wasnt even designed for adults. I know several people with these cars and they all have the same problems. The only thing i think i will miss will be the speed, the V6 was a great lump, but then again it wasnt a ford engine was it. At the end of the day it is your choice, but i had to pay £1100 for a brake emulator and numeriouse other faults. The beasty cost me loads.

:wacko:

Stay FAR away from 1st generation diesel Estimas/Lucidas/Eminas as they have a major problem with cracked cylinder heads. Whilst they look similar to a Ist generation Previa that is where the similarity ends. They are fitted with a retro fit 3CT/3C-TE engine that was originally designed for front engine placement on Corrolla's/Picnics and Camry's. People who own them try and fool themselves into believing that the problem doesn't exist. Then when it finally strikes many try devious means such as putting chemical cylinder blocking agents into the water jackets to mask the problem and in this way shuffle it on to the next owner.

If you want an import Previa then get the second generation Estima. If however you are NOT mechanically minded best plan is to buy a genuine UK model. That way when something goes wrong Toyota UK will work on it. The majority of UK agents tend to shy away from imports.

As to what car is better or worse that is absolutely irrelevant. Most modern cars are superbly reliable when they come out the factory. Car trouble is very often down to the owner. The vast majority of whom have 0 knowledge of cars, tend to misuse rather then use them and then when they start to go wrong blame the manufacturer or model.

, but when you want space a the back, you have to take out the rear seats
This used to be true but the newer models now all have fold flat seats. When I was looking for my Verso the Galaxy was one car I had in my comparison list. In the end the Galaxy was just too big for what I required. From what I could tell the S-Max and Galaxy are very similar cars now with the Galaxy being slightly larger.

• 8 months later...

TIA

Craig

I have just got rid of a 2.8 VR6 Auto Sharan, which is same as Galaxy. I replaced it with a Previa 2.4 GX auto and the differance in build quality is amazing! Had loads of probs with the Sharan including gearbox which set me back £1900 to have fixed and it still was not right! A common fault I later found out. If you want my advice, DONT buy a Galaxy/Sharan. Oh, and by the way, I swear the Previa is quicker too!

Congrats, Previa's are AWESOME cars BUT heavy on as. Although this maybe relative to what your Sharan was like. You can expect between 16 - 28 depending on how and where you drive. Surperbly reliable though but you MUST flush the cooling system on a regular basis.