Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Might Get A Gt4...

Jimlad

Am I right in thinking that the GT4 has the same engine as the MR2 ? The 3sgte ?

Most probably would be looking to get a model which looked like this ... chrissig.jpg

As opposed to the newer one with the circle lights.

Is it the same as the MR2.. ie different revisions with different BHP output? What is the stock BHP of a GT4 ?

Anything I should be looking at or thinking about when I goto get one? Also, is it as easy to mod the engine etc on the GT4, like the Mr2 is ? My mr2 was 225bhp now 280bhp. Are such things as easily done on the GT4 ??

Thanks for any help ... looking forward to 4wd and 4 seats!! Oh.. and something new to play with.

Finally... any good bodykits etc out for the GT4 ?

also.. I take it all GT4's are 4wd ???

Yep, the GT4 has the same 3s-gte engine as the MR2.

The one in your picture (gen 5 celica, ST185) has very similar specs to the rev1/2 tubbie, CT26 turbo and around 200 bhp. The gen 6 (1994-1999) GT4 (ST205) has the rev3 tubbies CT20 turbo and 250ish bhp. Personally, I would go for a gen6 over a gen5, but the price difference is much bigger than the difference between rev2 and rev3 tubbies.

Tuning options are pretty much the same as the tubbie, except it must be easier to work on than the mid mounted MR2.

There's not much in the way of bodykits for the gen5 celicas, come to think of it, not that much for the gen6 either, compared to the MR2 at least. Celicas seem to look way OTT with crazy bodykits on them.

Go on jim, do it, you know you want one! :thumbsup:

Stop thinking.... Just do it. You know it makes sense. 200-250BHP 4whell drive stability and handling and you can get a weeks groceries in the back. :lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

overweight tho :P

Yeah. Cookci`s right. St 185 is 40kg (1420) heavier than 205 (1380) which is about 5 tons heavier than an MR2. But it all adds to the stability. :thumbsup:

get 1 jimlad you will like it alot.

they are on eBay from time to time cookci

Am I right in thinking that the GT4 has the same engine as the MR2 ? The 3sgte ?

Most probably would be looking to get a model which looked like this ... chrissig.jpg

As opposed to the newer one with the circle lights.

Is it the same as the MR2.. ie different revisions with different BHP output? What is the stock BHP of a GT4 ?

Anything I should be looking at or thinking about when I goto get one? Also, is it as easy to mod the engine etc on the GT4, like the Mr2 is ? My mr2 was 225bhp now 280bhp. Are such things as easily done on the GT4 ??

Thanks for any help ... looking forward to 4wd and 4 seats!! Oh.. and something new to play with.

Finally... any good bodykits etc out for the GT4 ?

also.. I take it all GT4's are 4wd ???

Are you copying me??? :D :rolleyes:

200bhp as standard ?? How come it's down on the stock MR2 tubby (rev1) ?

Also.. should I expect such performance gains to about 280bhp if I get a unichip, zorst, filter ??

200bhp as standard ?? How come it's down on the stock MR2 tubby (rev1) ?

Also.. should I expect such performance gains to about 280bhp if I get a unichip, zorst, filter ??

200 is the book figure, couldn't tell you what sort of power mines had when it was standard as it was de-catted not long after i got it on the road.

you won't get a uni-chip on a GT4 from dastek, they can't tune them apparently, plus the fact that GT4's run faster with out them :P if your wanting after market management go for e-manage (thats what i've got), power FC or MoTeC.

as for power after mod's i'll let you know after the first thursday in march ;)

all GT4's are 4WD hence the 4 in the name, they have a 50:50 split diff which means they have differant drift characteristics than any other car. your best asking on GT4OC.net for more info but if it's simple things just ask me, happy to help.

have to ask, are you wanting a 4 because you can't get enough hair dryers in the 2? :!Removed!: :lol:

I want a test drive !!... :)

Possibly sort something out at the next meet.

Also.. according to dastek the GT4 can have a unichip fitted.. with good results also!

I want a test drive !!... :)

Also.. according to dastek the GT4 can have a unichip fitted.. with good results also!

no prob's about the test drive :thumbsup:

well out of 3 GT4's with one fitted that i know off, myself and steve (with the black GT4 at the last meet) took one out off an ST205 model which was producing 280+bhp with it in and it was pegging out, as soon as it was removed became twice the car it was before, will find out what power it now has on the same night i'll find out. there is alot more to this stroy but this isn't the place :!Removed!:

a carlos sainz model they re-funded the guy his money and told him they couldn't tune it :unsure:

and an engine has blown up :eek:

thats more than enough reason for me to not recomend them

the Uni-chip is a popular mod but dastek (dalgety bay) has now got a bad rep from the above examples.

they advance the ignition as much as possible then use the uni-chip to !Removed! it, what if the chip fails (yes they do) it'll pop the engine. just my 2p, make your own choices.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links