Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trd Engine Parts

CTS03

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mircea

• CTS03

• Astakos

• CraigR

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Astakos,

I am from Romania.I sent yeasterday a mail to www.trdsales.com

but I didn't get anything,I asked them if can shipped to Romania.

Did you order it directly?

Tx,

Mircea

Yes mircea. Through e-mail. You can contact Bruce Sollitt at bsollitt@trdsales.com. He is responsible for all TRD parts and he is quite helpful.

I am convinced that we need coil-overs for a rigid car but perhaps it would become too uncomfortamble for every day driving. And how much your car is lowered with the KW Variant 2 coil-overs?

CTS03,

Coil-overs are as comfortable or as uncomfortable as you want them to be. This is the notion of rebound adjustable suspension. You want them soft for every day & city driving...you do it! You want them hard for track days or more sportive & motorway driving...you can do it again. The choice is entirely up to you.

You can lower your car according to your taste. If you don't want to you do not lower it. The choice is again yours.

I have adjusted mine to 34mm front & 30mm rear.

I have the TTE 30mm lowering springs and a front spoiler. I am dissapointed with the car's stability at speeds above 160 on highways such as Athens-Tripoli.

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, I do not think that TTE Springs is a serious solution to imrove car's handling and body roll. Coil-overs is far the best way money can buy!

Also I do not understand the practical meaning of "adjustable". Are we supposed to adjust them only once during installation? Is it practically possible to try to find ourselves the optimum settings without using a service facility?

I am explaining above the meaning of adjustable. You simply do whatever you want with your car. You can lower it, you can make it high again, you can make it soft or "race hard" or something in between. As I said the choice depends entirely of your taste and your driving style...but if you want more the coil-overs can give it to you!

I am also afraid that whatever is "adjustable" may not be very stable compared to a rigid part. I think that any kind of screw could not resist under heavy loads for long times.

No, no, no, no!! Your thinking is very wrong. There is not one in a billion that the above mentioned phenomeno will occur. Not in a thousand years. Coil-overs are rock solid.

Finally, could you suggest any Toyota garage in Greece that has some experience with such suspension and engine mods in CTS ? I do not like the possibility to start a series of visits to solve gradually problems.

PM me!! B)

I understand the effects of the lighter flywheel but why to change the clutch? The stock clutch disk (properly set) engages fast enough so that the TCS is activated like crazy!

I think most of us loose time in shiftings because of problems in the gear shifting mechanism. This is also responsible for the gear cable rattles near 6000rpm.

My opinion is that the CTS would benefit from a "stronger" clutch & disk. For my taste the stock clutch slips a bit and does not transmitt instantly the car's power. Believe me...I've driven a CTS with TRD's clutch & disk and the difference is enormous. It is not a matter of how quicker you shift...it is just how instantly the power is transferred to the wheels!

www.gtn.ch can provide lots of Corolla parts

Yes I know Craig but the guy is very expensive (at least for my pocket) and does not accept credit cards. So everytime you order something you have to pay a transfer fee to the bank. That is ridiculous. I know...he has almost every part you can dream of...it's his policy I don't like! :rolleyes:

You want them soft for every day & city driving...you do it! You want them hard for track days or more sportive & motorway driving...you can do it again. 

Sorry for insisting on a naive question: Could I modify it myself with some tool in a parking lot or I would have to go to a garage to lift the car, use some special tool, measure distances, etc.

My opinion is that the CTS would benefit from a "stronger" clutch & disk. For my taste the stock clutch slips a bit and does not transmitt instantly the car's power. Believe me...I've driven a CTS with TRD's clutch & disk and the difference is enormous. It is not a matter of how quicker you shift...it is just how instantly the power is transferred to the wheels!

My point is that there would be no benefit from instant transmission of the power to the wheels if they cannot pass it instantly to the road. My opinion is that a "stronger" clutch disk should be an option only together with wide sport tires, minimum 215/45/17. But even these will be worn after a summer, and we could not keep changing tires.

Personally, I loose speed during gear shifts not because the clutch disk delays to transfer power to the wheels but because it is not an easy process to introduce the next gear.

If your gonna install a new flywheel then you might as well install a new, stronger clutch while your at it to save labour costs.

On my celica I had a Fidanza light weight flywheel, ACT clutch and TRD LSD installed into my car at the same time. It cost alot, but saved me a fortune in labour costs in labour rates.

If your gonna install a new flywheel then you might as well install a new, stronger clutch while your at it to save labour costs.

On my celica I had a Fidanza light weight flywheel, ACT clutch and TRD LSD installed into my car at the same time. It cost alot, but saved me a fortune in labour costs in labour rates.

I agree with these.

GraigR, what is your experience with LSD ? LSD could exploit the benefits of a stronger clutch disk. Do you think that you have indeed approached some kind of optimized configuration for the 190hp engine?

CTS03,

In order to modify the height of the suspension you have to lift the car. There is no suspension system in the world that will permit doiong so without lifting the car!

About the clutch issue...

Simply... the stronger the clutch the more instant will be the power transfer to the wheels. It is not a shifting cure. If you want to shift better get a quickshift. Amazing difference. With the TRD Clutch Cover & Disk you will have less clutch slips and even more direct transmission to the wheels. I have seen it, I have felt it! I believe the stock clutch needs upgrating.

Now, whether you decide to upgrade it or not depends on you! I will surely do in the near future. And I have to aggre with Graig...do it all in once..it will save you labour costs!

The TRD clutch is fantastic, but I wouldn't do it without an upgraded clutch and flywheel. They have to remove the stock ones anyway to get to the differential, so it makes sense to have them replaced, while they are out.

Finally, we shifted this topic into a discussion of suspension and not engine modifications as it was aimed initially.

It will be very interesting to have any opinions on the technical value of the TRD engine mods: high compression pistons, exhaust manifold and muffler.

TRD claims 20Nm increase of torque if we install parts costing 2468 Euro.

I have no expertise but I feel the pistons will do all the gain but this should be a serious work on the engine.

I do not see why that exhaust manifold would be better than the stock.

Concerning the filter, I think the best filter would be the stock one if we clean it every second week.

You can do all you like to the engine etc, but the restricting factor will always be your ECU. The only way around this is a Apexi Power FC for example which will then make full advantage of your mods.

The only real way to make lots of power is forced induction of course.

Personally I would spend time making your car more drivable with a big brake upgrade (TRD, Stoptech), decent suspension (Tein) and anti roll bars (Whiteline, TRD).

It will be very interesting to have any opinions on the technical value of the TRD engine mods: high compression pistons, exhaust manifold and muffler.

TRD claims 20Nm increase of torque if we install parts costing 2468 Euro.

The TRD Engine Upgrate for the 2ZZ-GE engine contains all of the above + a lightweight flywheel (27% lighter than stock) and a drop-in air filter.

The flywheel will give you more acceleration since its weight is reduced. It is not directly linked to horsepower but it certainly gives a better 0-60 time!! The air filter contibutes towards the extra air needed since you have raised the compression.

The problem with TRD's final muffler is that is made for japan spec cars (RunX) and I doubt it will fit in your greek CTS. Unless you cut off all the piping, go to a muffler shop and re-design them. But I still do not know if that's a good idea.

I know that the entire set of upgrates works quite well and gives what's promising. The only problem would be the quality of the gas that you will be using since it is very demanding to at least pure 100 octane fuel due to the 13:1 compression that is raised.

I have no expertise but I feel the pistons will do all the gain but this should be a serious work on the engine.

They do half the job...the other half depends on the other parts!

I do not see why that exhaust manifold would be better than the stock.

It is far better than stock. It gives about 6-7 hp and it raises (in terms of torque) the whole rev band from 3500-8200 revs! It's performance is quite outstanding. Trust me on this! :)

Concerning the filter, I think the best filter would be the stock one if we clean it every second week.

For ****** shake CTS03...even any after-market panel filter is better than stock. The stock one is very restrictive. Even if you put a drop-in K&N you will notice a 2-2.5 hp at high revs. Not to mention what will happen if you get a complete air intake or a CAI. The gains are massive. I've done it and I know. I have the BLITZ SUS Power Air Cleaner Kit with Samco intake hoses, ramair and heat shield and my car gained 10-11 whp. Tested in 3 different dynos. So, I beleive that this figure is far better than stock!!

You can do all you like to the engine etc, but the restricting factor will always be your ECU. The only way around this is a Apexi Power FC for example which will then make full advantage of your mods.

The only real way to make lots of power is forced induction of course.

Personally I would spend time making your car more drivable with a big brake upgrade (TRD, Stoptech), decent suspension (Tein) and anti roll bars (Whiteline, TRD).

Right Craig...go for it!!! :thumbsup: You will notice a hell of a difference in handling and stoping power!! Nice thinking there m8!! :)

I've spent far too much on my Celica T-sport, and a have an Apexi Power FC waiting to go in. Some guys at celica-club are currently looking into S/C options.

Hi Astakos,

I am wondering if the TRD's coilovers are as good as KW's?

Do you know something about it?

Please let me know about the code number of KW as well!

Tx,

Mircea

Hi mircea,

I really do not know about TRD's Coilovers. Nobody seems to ever have them fitted!

Apart from myself, I have 3-4 more friends of mine that have KW's fitted and they are very happy!

The KW Variant 2 serial # is: 15256001 and according to KW's official site they cost 1248 euro (postage not inc.)

I would definetely go for the Super Street one. With or without pillowball topmount is entirely up to your taste.

I have heard some good rumours around but all come from the states. Noone I know in Greece has ever install Tein in his rolla/celica!

But a lot of guys in newcelica.org are very happy with this set of suspension. They must know something.

To be honest when I first bought my KWs, Tein had not released anything for my CTS. Now that it has I would have been in some sort of a dilemma as what to choose! :yes:

For ****** shake CTS03...even any after-market panel filter is better than stock. The stock one is very restrictive. Even if you put a drop-in K&N you will notice a 2-2.5 hp at high revs.

I do not think I could notice 2-2.5hp !!!

In any case, my filter becomes much more restrictive from the dust accumulated for several months between visits to a garage.

I purchased the following TRD parts for TS:

-rear and front sway bars but from TRD USA.

Hi Mircea

TRD in Japan has only a rear stabilizer for Runx (CTS)

Part No. 48812-ZE200 Rear Stabilizer

Dia. : 23.0mm (Rate 49% up)

Is it the same with the american one?

I would definetely go for the Super Street one. With or without pillowball topmount is entirely up to your taste.

I have heard some good rumours around but all come from the states. Noone I know in Greece has ever install Tein in his rolla/celica!

But a lot of guys in newcelica.org are very happy with this set of suspension. They must know something.

To be honest when I first bought my KWs, Tein had not released anything for my CTS. Now that it has I would have been in some sort of a dilemma as what to choose!  :yes:

I'll be changing that theory in about 2 months time :D ;)

Hi CTS03,

Hi Mircea

TRD in Japan has only a rear stabilizer for Runx (CTS)

Part No. 48812-ZE200 Rear Stabilizer

Dia. : 23.0mm (Rate 49% up)

Is it the same with the american one?

No,no,no!

The TRD's parts from USA are different .

Here you can find out more info:

http://www.toyotaterritory.com/matrix.aspX

Mine have been delivered by a friend of mine!

Regards,

Mircea

Let us make the sway bar discussion more quantitative:

I measured a diameter of 19.5mm for the stock rear stabilizer bar of my Corolla T Sport 2003. Thus, the 23mm of TRD is a real upgrading.

Mircea, I could not see any TRD USA specs on the suggested Web Site. Do you know the diameter of TRD USA front and rear bars and the diameter of the stock front bars?

Another thing is that you bought parts for Matrix which is obviously Corolla Verso. Are they compatible with CTS?

As I have been saying CTS03, first do something about you car's suspension system and then start thinking about the sway bars!

If you install the sway bars while still having your stock absorbers (even with TTE springs fitted) your car will become a little "clumsy" in its reactions! I wouldn't recommend it!

Just my opinion though... B)

Hi CTS,

I hope this site help you:http://www.brandsport.com/trd-00602-48800-100.html

Mircea, I could not see any TRD USA specs on the suggested Web Site. Do you know the diameter of TRD USA front and rear bars and the diameter of the stock front bars?

Yes

As I mentioned somewere in this tread the diameters stock/TRD are:

-front 24/26-27

-rear 22/26

and are working with TS.

As I have been saying CTS03, first do something about you car's suspension system and then start thinking about the sway bars!

You can take into consideration above sugestion.I did it without changing the stock

absorbers just replacing coilovers (with TTE).What can I say?

Mine is fine but in near future I am going to change the original absorbers with TEIN/KW in order to close the suspension's issue!

btw CTS03:Meet with Astakos and do a test drive with his TS!!!!!!!

As I know both are from Greece isn't it?

Mircea

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links