Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Way To Stop A Car Starting

ghecko

Anyone have any good tips on things to remove from an engine so the alarm still works to stop the car starting - thinking about doing this when off on holiday and would appeciate any tips anyone can give for what to remove with the least hassle.

yeah takin the rotar arm out of the dizzy cap would be the best

what year is your car?

yeah coss i dont think u have a dizzy then, my rev4 dont have a dizzy!

its electronic ignition

disconect some fuses! or the Battery, theres loads

its electronic ignition

disconect some fuses! or the battery, theres loads

Won't removing the Battery - stop the alarm :)

its electronic ignition

Doesn't make a difference mate. Remove the ECU, and you won't have a hope in hell of starting the engine :D

its electronic ignition

Doesn't make a difference mate. Remove the ECU, and you won't have a hope in hell of starting the engine :D

Can you point me to any instructions for the removal please.

its electronic ignition

disconect some fuses! or the battery, theres loads

your rev4 does have a Dizzy/rotor arm mate. All MKII's had a dizzycap and rotor arm. If you somehow have electronic ignition then I would love to see pictures of it, because it is defo aftermarket if you do so. To this day, never seen a mark II without a dizzycap/rotor arm tho.

Take the rotor out the Dizzy, 5 min job.

ECU is behind the boot carpet, about 3 bolts and unclip your harness and it'll be fine.

If I wanted to imobilise my car, I'd do the king lead, the rotor arm, unclip the ECU and re-break my ignition wiring.

Easiest way would just be to remove the ECU - it's in the boot, on the passenger side of the bulkhead, behind a bit of card I think.

Unless someone has a towtruck or a spare ECU in their pocket, they're not going to be able to shift your car.

Plus you get the bonus of a ECU reset when you return! ;)

Easiest way would just be to remove the ECU - it's in the boot, on the passenger side of the bulkhead, behind a bit of card I think.

Unless someone has a towtruck or a spare ECU in their pocket, they're not going to be able to shift your car.

Plus you get the bonus of a ECU reset when you return!  ;)

Is the ECU not coded to the engine? I know my Rover MEMS is coded to my specific engine so even if another MEMS unit is fitted, you have to take it to Rover to get it coded.

You could take the coil to dizzy lead off which prevents a spark. This saved one of my old cars being stolen as they gave up pushing the car and dumped it across two lanes of a dual carriage way by my house, doors open, lights on.

At the end of the day though, if they want it they will take it regardless of if they have an ECU or not.

Just out of interest what good would an ECU re-set be?

and woudl mr T have to do it or dose it just re set all factory settings?

i am aware that some ECU's hsve the abilty to "Learn " driving styles so dose it just re start the memory in the ECU?

You could also just remove the EFI fuse like when you do an ECU reset. Its a five second job.

Like Fitz says though if they really want your car they'll find a way, even if it means bringing along a low loader truck.

You could also just remove the EFI fuse like when you do an ECU reset. Its a five second job.

Like Fitz says though if they really want your car they'll find a way, even if it means bringing along a low loader truck.

The frightning thing was What car did a test some years ago. The pre warned the police, just so they were aware, but they took 5 expensive sports cars down to brighton and placed them in various locations. They then returned with a plain white low loader and the driver wore a reflective jacket. Not once were they questioned about taking the cars and the last car to be removed was an XJS they planted on a driveway on a busy main road. The police just happened to be in the road at the time and they stopped the traffic to help the low loader!!!

You could take the coil to dizzy lead off which prevents a spark. This saved one of my old cars being stolen as they gave up pushing the car and dumped it across two lanes of a dual carriage way by my house, doors open, lights on.

Doesn't always work though. A mate of mine when I was younger used to take the main HT lead off his RS Turbo when he parked up for the night. One morning he awoke to find the car gone, AND a neighbours car had also been broken into, but they only nicked an HT lead from that one. :angry:

see if your neighbour or a friend can keep your car in a garage while your away? i look after my neighbours when hes away and when he hasnt paid road tax(cant get away with last one anymore though)

The frightning thing was What car did a test some years ago. The pre warned the police, just so they were aware, but they took 5 expensive sports cars down to brighton and placed them in various locations. They then returned with a plain white low loader and the driver wore a reflective jacket. Not once were they questioned about taking the cars and the last car to be removed was an XJS they planted on a driveway on a busy main road. The police just happened to be in the road at the time and they stopped the traffic to help the low loader!!!

yeh my flatmate got locked out his 106 (no locks all solnoids) and spent an hour trying to get in, no one questioned what he was doing.. shows u how much people care, :wacko:

Technically, it strains (and could damage) the coil/ignition system if there is nowhere for the spark energy to dissipate. It would be safer to unplug the input lead from the coil, although it's easy to just plug it back in if someone spots it.

yeh my flatmate got locked out his 106 (no locks all solnoids) and spent an hour trying to get in, no one questioned what he was doing.. shows u how much people care, :wacko:

I was stuck in Edinburgh city centre trying to get into my car for hours. Nobody questioned me once!!

Doesn't always work though. A mate of mine when I was younger used to take the main HT lead off his RS Turbo when he parked up for the night. One morning he awoke to find the car gone, AND a neighbours car had also been broken into, but they only nicked an HT lead from that one. :angry:

The thinking man's criminal :lol:

Ba***rds :ffs: