Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Consumption

YvonneC

Just want to say a BIG thankyou to all you guys discussing the oil usage. I bought my 51 Avensis 1.8GS in November, a very nice car, but had no idea it would drink oil. After reading your messages I checked it and found a dry dipstick.

So thankyou thankyou for saving my new car's life (and my bank account!)

:D :group-cuddles: :rolleyes:

What oil problem is this? I can't find a previous thread on it.

Is it the new model or old model, or both, Avensis? Is it just the 1.8 or is the 2.0 affected also?

What oil problem is this? I can't find a previous thread on it.

Is it the new model or old model, or both, Avensis? Is it just the 1.8 or is the 2.0 affected also?

So far it only seems to affect the 1.8 VVTi engine, people with Celica's and MR2's have also reported problems so it must be an engine design fault, so far I think only people with old shape Avensis' have had the problem but since it's the same unit in the new Avensis it wouldn't suprise me if in a couple of years they too may have the problem. 1.6 and 2.0 VVTi engines dont seem to have the problem but it could be because fewer people own them so no one has to report the issue on the forum.

Basically it's something to do with the cylinder lining if I remember from a previous thread but the car's with the trouble are burning over a litre of oil every 1000 miles which is more than what the manual classes as acceptable.

Ok, this is the top & bottom of it.....

My son works in a Toyota Dealership & he advises me this is what you need to do:-

1. Use 10w/40 grade oil ( Semi Synthetic ) & not 5w/30 ( Fully synthetic ), which is what they use at dealerships.

2. Keep a log on how much oil you have added & how many miles you have done between top-ups.

If you wait until the oil is just above the minimum mark, you will be able to add exactly 1 litre of oil.

Also note that your engine is secretly warranted for 5 years/100,000 miles, due to this issue. So if your car is burning a litre every 1000 miles ( although the owners handbook states that 1 litre every 750 miles is normal ) <_< & it is under 5 years old, with full dealer history, you will get a new half engine.

I've also been informed that the new Avensis does not suffer with this problem.

It is important though that you report it to your dealership ( Toyota GB if neccessary ) & keep an accurate log, as described previously.

:thumbsup:

My son works in a Toyota Dealership & he advises me this is what you need to do:-

1. Use 10w/40 grade oil ( Semi Synthetic ) & not 5w/30 ( Fully synthetic ), which is what they use at dealerships.

2.  Keep a log on how much oil you have added & how many miles you have done between top-ups.

If you wait until the oil is just above the minimum mark, you will be able to add exactly 1 litre of oil.

Also note that your engine is secretly warranted for 5 years/100,000 miles, due to this issue.  So if your car is burning a litre every 1000 miles ( although the owners handbook states that 1 litre every 750 miles is normal )  <_< & it is under 5 years old, with full dealer history, you will get a new half engine.

It is important though that you report it to your dealership ( Toyota GB if neccessary ) & keep an accurate log, as described previously.

2.  Keep a log on how much oil you have added & how many miles you have done between top-ups.

Also note that your engine is secretly warranted for 5 years/100,000 miles, due to this issue.  So if your car is burning a litre every 1000 miles ( although the owners handbook states that 1 litre every 750 miles is normal )  <_< & it is under 5 years old, with full dealer history, you will get a new half engine.

Starensis,

Fantastic post & just the sort of info that we need !

I purchased a 2.5 yr old Avensis 1.8 VVti 2 months ago & was totally unaware of this problem with SOME of the engines.

So far, I've done around 2000 miles & used about 1/2 litre of oil. This is much more than I would have expected from previous manufacturers.

However, as long as I change my oil to a bit thicker semi or fully sysnthetic oil & keep a very close eye on my oil levels - I suppose I will be okay ?

DO YOU ALL AGREE ?

A note of caution. :huh: The owner's manual states that 5W-30 is recommended as 10W-40 may give difficult starting in cold conditions. Not using the recommended oil may give Toyota an excuse not to resolve any problems, after all if you get a Toyota dealer to service it, then it's down to them isn't it?

Having said that, is there any benefit or disadvantage in using something like Mobil 1 0W-40? Covers all the bases doesn't it?

Dave

A note of caution.  :huh: The owner's manual states that 5W-30 is recommended as 10W-40 may give difficult starting in cold conditions.  Not using the recommended oil may give Toyota an excuse not to resolve any problems, after all if you get a Toyota dealer to service it, then it's down to them isn't it?

Having said that, is there any benefit or disadvantage in using something like Mobil 1 0W-40?  Covers all the bases doesn't it?

Dave

I've used Mobil 1 for almost 20 years on various cars previous to my 1.8VVTi Avensis SR. I rate it as probably one of the best oils around.

However, in view of the previous posts, would this oil not be too thin ? The previous poster said to go to 10/40 from 5/30 to get around the high oil usage issue on this engine.

Would using Mobil 1's 0-50 just make the problem (high oil usage) worse?

Thanks. Lots of useful info here. I am using 5/30 (Halford's own!!) and the engine feels fine. What do you reckon my chances are of claiming under this warranty? - mine has done 70k so far.

Most dealers have been told to use 10W/40W oil to overcome the issue. This grade of oil is perfectly OK in this country as it covers temperatures from -10 upwards.

Having said that, my own personal opinion is the Engine should not burn ANY grade of oil!!

Keep your eye on it & record what you put in & how many miles between top-ups. If you burn 1 litre every 1000 miles, demand the engine be changed.

My dealership were changing the engine on one that was burning 2 litres every 600 miles last week. The car had done 45,000 miles.

:angry:

Most dealers have been told to use 10W/40W oil to overcome the issue.  This grade of oil is perfectly OK in this country as it covers temperatures from -10  upwards.

Having said that, my own personal opinion is the Engine should not burn ANY grade of oil!!

Keep your eye on it & record what you put in & how many miles between top-ups. If you burn 1 litre every 1000 miles, demand the engine be changed.

My dealership were changing the engine on one that was burning 2 litres every 600 miles last week.  The car had done 45,000 miles.

:angry:

Whilst my car is not using much oil at the moment & I have done circa 30K miles - is the problem likely to get much worse or will it go on like this for many thousands of miles ?

The oil consumption does get worse. Starts between 30-40,000 miles & can worsen with mileage.

It's not every car, I think it only affect engines built between 2000 & Late 2001. So if you car is 2002> model there is every chance you will be OK.

The oil consumption does get worse.  Starts between 30-40,000 miles & can worsen with mileage.

It's not every car, I think it only affect engines built between 2000 & Late 2001.  So if you car is 2002> model there is every chance you will be OK.

My 2002 Avensis 1.8 vvti got through nearly 2 litres in just under 3000 miles! :o

I`ve got an Avensis 51 reg 1.8 VVTI and I have to say it does use oil! Though at the moment not too much compared with the other people in this thread! Having done nearly 40,000 though I am worried that the engine will start to 'give out' one day after having read the thread and I`m wondering now is it time to get rid of the her and get something else? I mean how much is a new engine for one of these, it must be a small fortune? :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
I`ve got an Avensis 51 reg 1.8 VVTI and I have to say it does use oil! Though at the moment not too much compared with the other people in this thread! Having done nearly 40,000 though I am worried that the engine will start to 'give out' one day after having read the thread and I`m wondering now is it time to get rid of the her and get something else? I mean how much is a new engine for one of these, it must be a small fortune? :wacko:

I may need a new engine for my corolla T3; any idea of cost? Drinking 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles but garage says it's on the limit and therefore O.K. Any ideas what to do next? How do I sell my car with a service history that mentions this excessive (?) oil consumption? :crybaby:

I may need a new engine for my corolla T3; any idea of cost? Drinking 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles but garage says it's on the limit and therefore O.K. Any ideas what to do next? How do I sell my car with a service history that mentions this excessive (?) oil consumption? :crybaby:

My Avensis is going into my local toyota garage on Friday, for high oil consumption. Not as high as some of you, but 1 litre in 3000miles. They told me if the engine number matchs their list then it has a 5 year garauntee. Here's hoping the rectify the problem.

THIS PROBLEM ONLY REALATES TO VVTI ENGINES. MK 1 PRE FACE LIFT MODELS OF 1.6 1.8 AND 2.0 LITRE CAPACITY HAVE TOYOTAS USUAL RELIABILITY RECORD

HOPE THIS HELPS

Just want to say a BIG thankyou to all you guys discussing the oil usage. I bought my 51 Avensis 1.8GS in November, a very nice car, but had no idea it would drink oil. After reading your messages I checked it and found a dry dipstick.

So thankyou thankyou for saving my new car's life (and my bank account!)

:D  :group-cuddles:  :rolleyes:

I am also led to believe that whatever driving style you adopt and whatever engine, modern engines ususally benefit from a bit of a thrashing at least every now and then; when warm really get the revs up. I am told that helps the oil consumption for some reason.

...speaking of which I did a search on synthetic/mineral oils Avensis and came across this:

As other Diesel engines of the Avensis, these (the D-CAT ones) are done to use mineral oil instead of synthetic. Toyota gives a lot of importance to the cost of maintenance and is sure that the mineral oil that it uses can support long periods. These engines have a system for the control of the maintenance that, if favorable circumstances happen, does not indicate that the change of oil should be necessary up to 30.000 km.

source: link (Hey, that's in Spanish :P . If not familiar with it, use this).

Now this mineral-only thing goes for D4D engines, so I'm wondering whether it does apply to VVT-i as well.

I take it the car would have to have Toyota FSH for the warrenty to apply. I bought my 2001 VVTI second hand and it doesn't have FSH.