Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'squeeky Rattle'....yawn

njw1969

After reading some comments on various sites regarding Rav4 rattles, I would like some advice please !

My car is a Rav4 LWB XT4 2003 (uk spec) 18000 miles on the clock. The rattle seems to be coming from steering area / dashboard but it is more of a squeeky rattle than those that i have read about ? It is ony apparent on uneven roads but as 90% of my driving is on country lanes, it is becoming annoying to say the least and ruining my enjoyment of a great car. Is this the notorious windsheild rattle talked about on forums ? Im not so sure? And if it is....why did Toyota not fix this problem when they released the facelift XT range ??

Also, would it be acceptable to take the car back to the dealer and demand it be fixed ? Would be it be a warranty item ?

Your comments would be most helpful thanks.

Also, as a side issue, has anyone fitted the Rav with a tuning chip ? and are they worth it ? Again, comments would be most useful

• 1 month later...

Hi, did you get anywhere with resolving your rattle problem?

I ask because I picked up my new XT3 three days ago and it started creaking/rattling exactly as you describe in the dash even before I'd got it home!

It's a persistent creaking somewhere in the dash that appears with the slightest unevenness in the road...and it's very, very irritating!

I intend to contact the dealer this week to get it looked at as I consider it totally unacceptable that a brand new, and not cheap, car rattles like this from day one.

It's a shame that my first post on this forum is a whinge, but I traded in a BMW 3-series Coupe for this RAV and never had a squeek or rattle in four years of driving it so am rather disappointed at the moment.

Once I get this sqeek sorted out and the atrocious Speakers replaced I'm sure I'll be delighted! :)

Hi, did you get anywhere with resolving your rattle problem?

I ask because I picked up my new XT3 three days ago and it started creaking/rattling exactly as you describe in the dash even before I'd got it home!

It's a persistent creaking somewhere in the dash that appears with the slightest unevenness in the road...and it's very, very irritating!

I intend to contact the dealer this week to get it looked at as I consider it totally unacceptable that a brand new, and not cheap, car rattles like this from day one.

It's a shame that my first post on this forum is a whinge, but I traded in a BMW 3-series Coupe for this RAV and never had a squeek or rattle in four years of driving it so am rather disappointed at the moment.

Once I get this sqeek sorted out and the atrocious speakers replaced I'm sure I'll be delighted!  :)

You have described it exactly !! I havent got anywhere with it BUT it is due for a service very soon and i will be asking the dealer to have a look at it. I travel to work across country roads everyday.....constant anoying squeeky rattle. It is absolutely fine on flat roads. Coincidently, i also traded my rather unpractical BMW compact for the XT4 !

For info. this site has some interesting stuff on rattles and sqeaks - particularly in the "TSB's" section - might find this useful reading before going to the dealer - and yes IMO they should (and normally will) fix it ...

http://www.rav4world.com/

Well, I've got my RAV booked in for the dealer to investigate this annoying creak/rattle next Wednesday (23rd March) so will let you know how I get on!

Well, I've got my RAV booked in for the dealer to investigate this annoying creak/rattle next Wednesday (23rd March) so will let you know how I get on!

Got mine booked in for 6th April for service and check out my squeeks. Lets compare notes soon !

Well, I'd love to say that my rattles are a thing of the past...but I certainly can't. Not because they haven't been looked at I should add, but because when I presented the car at the dealer this morning (having booked it in and arranged a courtesy car last Wednesday) they denied all knowledge of the booking and had no record of it on their system! Morons.

Result - no courtesy car available, therefore no rattles looked at and, having made special arrangements at home and at work in order to drop off and pick up the car today, an extremely p*ssed off me.

Having been a Toyota driver for only two weeks I have to say my Toyota experience so far has been pretty rubbish. Car rattles and squeaks like a bag of spanners and my dealer appears to be a complete and utter waste of air and rations. :censor:

Oh how I miss my old BMW now... :crybaby:

I had that with Lexus Guildford once - really does p!ss you off doesn't it.

Hope you get everything sorted soon.

• 1 month later...

hi i have a brand new rav4 3 door XT3 only done 500miles with a creak/rattle,going in to local toyota garage 2nd week may, looks like my noise is from the plastic near the windscreen and wipers being replaced under warrenty,will advise outcome,apart from this the rav4 is a brilliant vehicle

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links