Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Turbo Aint Right!

aa120n

since i bought my turbo i've always thought it wasn't as fast as it should be.

i've just had a little race with a mini cooper.(and no it wasn't the cooperS)

from about 30-80 mph.

they were in front of me anyway, so when they put there foot down so did i. the gap stayed exactly the same.

now i know this isn't right.

any suggestions anyone?

the car is standard. thats what i don't get, even a standard should beat that.

If it's not running 100% anything could happen ..

how can i get it checked out? will a session on the r/r tell me whats wrong?

how can i get it checked out? will a session on the r/r tell me whats wrong?

the rollas will help,the engine may have boost leak or just need a freshen up,when was it last serviced etc??

and the driving did you drop a gear and red line ??

not really sure when it was last serviced, i've been meaning to do it. i'll do that in the next couple of days.

no i didn't drop a gear, just put my foot down. once i get over about 5000rpm the car does feel like its accelerating as quickly. should this be where i get most of my acceleration?

yeah thats when the turbo starts dancing and makes boost,a service will do it the world of good-do it all and do it right not just an oil top up do oil, filter nice oil plugs cap-raplace or clean with arm check leads etc.plus this is an exuse to make upgrates :D

yeah thats when the turbo starts dancing and makes boost,a service will do it the world of good-do it all and do it right not just an oil top up do oil, filter nice oil plugs cap-raplace or clean with arm check leads etc.plus this is an exuse to make upgrates :D

if i do all of that and there's no change what do you suggest then?

check for split pipes,nackered induction filter etc but you should have replaced all them,if you dont feel its fast enuff (all that service should help)make upgrades indution kit,intercooler with hard pipes,exaust etc

not really sure when it was last serviced, i've been meaning to do it. i'll do that in the next couple of days.

no i didn't drop a gear, just put my foot down. once i get over about 5000rpm the car does feel like its accelerating as quickly. should this be where i get most of my acceleration?

mini coopers are fairly quick, take it past 6000rpm those engines are built for it

a stock turbo should fly past a mini cooper, at present I'm running only a fraction more than stock boost 11psi as i don't feel I need the power that 15psi gives radically re thought my plan of action for the car to be honest.

I'd say there is something wrong with your car. Firstly does it stutter or hesitate at all at any time, if it does then you have either a boost leak or worn out ignition components. If it doesn't then its something else, is it in safe mode? have you run it on regular unleaded?

Whatever it isn't right. Also with a rev 2 turbo your best of changing gear at 6300rpm ish, you can take it to the red and beyond without issue but it won't make anymore power than it was at 6000 ish.

shouldn't the turbo kick in at about 2.5-3k revs??? :blink:

Yes you are right there mate. Well thats when mine starts to spool up then.

jerry!!

Whereabouts in Leicester do you live - I could take a nosey if you want? I'm only down the road matey!

:thumbsup:

i'm in glenfield. where abouts are you?

a stock turbo should fly past a mini cooper, at present I'm running only a fraction more than stock boost 11psi as i don't feel I need the power that 15psi gives radically re thought my plan of action for the car to be honest.

I'd say there is something wrong with your car.  Firstly does it stutter or hesitate at all at any time, if it does then you have either a boost leak or worn out ignition components.  If it doesn't then its something else, is it in safe mode? have you run it on regular unleaded?

Whatever it isn't right. Also with a rev 2 turbo your best of changing gear at 6300rpm ish, you can take it to the red and beyond without issue but it won't make anymore power than it was at 6000 ish.

no it doesn't hesitate, and i've been running it on optimax and reset the ecu. i'm going to check the ignition components and replace most of them. hopefully these will fix the problem.

i'm in glenfield. where abouts are you?

I live on the Leicestershire / Warickshire border in the small town of Lutterworth.

However my office is located on the Braunstone Frith Industrial Estate next door to Glenfield.

Maybe we catch up sometime - Fridays are usually good.

:thumbsup:

yeah thats when it starts spooling up, it shouldve reached full boost by 3200rpm, but you get maximum power at around 4200-5500rpm

my turbo is standard and loses its legs in the early 5000's :(

your problem may be due to the cold weather? if its less than 4 degrees outside you only get 3/4 boost (on a standard setup). i have been like this all weekend - even though i think it was a bit warmer than 4 degrees, and it makes a massive difference in power - annoyingly! :angry:

have you checked your boost guage to see where it rises?, this could be the problem - in any event defo try an ecu reset. :thumbsup: